Any updates on Tillman?

True. For the most part I think we are clicking but just haven't put it all together yet. Just need to clean up some things. Maybe this is the week we do. But without Tillman I'm not so sure.
Not really. UT has not played close to its best football on either side of the ball. They played awful vs Pitt and still found a way to win. Hooker's inaccuracy early vs BSU and Akron is something UT can't keep affording to have. UT really hasn't run the ball that well when you factor in competition. Penalties have not been good.

If UT puts its "best" game together... this will be a very ugly day for UF.

Even if he plays he may not be as effective as some of our other WRs. If he’s not 100% you hold him out to get healthy.

Ramel Keyton- if he can catch the ball and get 50 he has done his job. He is the next man up. If Hooker doesn't have confidence in him put Milton in. Milton sure doesn't have a problem throwing him the ball.

Not really. UT has not played close to its best football on either side of the ball. They played awful vs Pitt and still found a way to win. Hooker's inaccuracy early vs BSU and Akron is something UT can't keep affording to have. UT really hasn't run the ball that well when you factor in competition. Penalties have not been good.

If UT puts its "best" game together... this will be a very ugly day for UF.
IF...if we play our best game and IF Florida plays to their average this year we destroy them. But if we play to our average and they play like they did vs Utah then its a different story and the game could go either way. Our defense has to stop the run, contain Richardson and force them to pass. containing a running QB is something we have never done as a team no matter the coach or defense. We have also had a lot of success with mobile QBs historically. I don't know what it is but it just seems that way...seriously look at our most successful QB's in school history outside of Peyton most have been mobile guys. Look at the QB's (and WR's playing as QB's :eek:)that have toasted us the most... Mobile.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I beg to differ, there are a few posts in this thread stating that we can just replace him or maybe its better so we can spread the ball around, etc. Some are talking up Keyton, McCoy and Hyatt. I'm sorry, this isn't a next man up situation. This is a loss, and a huge one at that is Tillman can't play. No two ways about it.

You’re acting like the rest of our WRs suck.

If you think Tillman is the only one capable of making plays then you clearly haven’t watched a game this season.

Let's put it this way, without Tilman we are 2-1 right now with probably a blowout loss to Pitt after we went down 10-0 like that.. Cedric Tilman is THAT important to this team.

Last time we beat Florida was with Dobbs to Jennings literally the 2016 version of Hooker and Tilman in many many ways which is crazy to think about.

Meh... Tillman dropped A LOT of passes in that game, too, especially in the first half, which contributed to them going down 10-0.

Let's put it this way, without Tilman we are 2-1 right now with probably a blowout loss to Pitt after we went down 10-0 like that.. Cedric Tilman is THAT important to this team.

Last time we beat Florida was with Dobbs to Jennings literally the 2016 version of Hooker and Tilman in many many ways which is crazy to think about.

Completely agree the reason this offense has so much space to operate is Tillman.

Completely agree the reason this offense has so much space to operate is Tillman.
False. The offense has space because of spacing and the way its operated. Did Joe Milton have a problem running the same offense without Tillman ? He was playing with the 2nd and 3 rd team receivers. Yet he threw an absolute piss missile strike to Keyton

Reactions: igotworms and JRich
The whole point is Tillman is very good for us. Yet we have other guys who are capable for a game or two if needed. This just happens to be an "if needed" moment. We will survive and be better because of it. Get Tillman healthy and ready to play the rest of the year. We are not defeated and will likely remain undefeated even without #4 this week.

False. The offense has space because of spacing and the way its operated. Did Joe Milton have a problem running the same offense without Tillman ? He was playing with the 2nd and 3 rd team receivers. Yet he threw an absolute piss missile strike to Keyton

Put keyton outside the numbers against Florida and see how that goes for us.

We have had a week to prepare for Tillman's absence.
We have a Great Offensive Minded Coach.
I am sure that this week is providing the timing and bonding needed to void the absence.
We have the week to identify their weaknesses on Defense.
We run a high octane offense which will always create chaos for opposing teams.
Less comfortable but still confident that we win this game.
Florida has more to prepare for and less film footage of Tillman-less team.
I still think things bode well for us and CH will throw some wrinkles in to bait them and keep them honest.
Both teams are battled tested.
Kind of reminds me of the week before the Ole Miss game last year.

We have had a week to prepare for Tillman's absence.
We have a Great Offensive Minded Coach.
I am sure that this week is providing the timing and bonding needed to void the absence.
We have the week to identify their weaknesses on Defense.
We run a high octane offense which will always create chaos for opposing teams.
Less comfortable but still confident that we win this game.
Florida has more to prepare for and less film footage of Tillman-less team.
I still think things bode well for us and CH will throw some wrinkles in to bait them and keep them honest.
Both teams are battled tested.

Agree I have complete confidence in the staff to scheme and create mismatches. But to lose Tillman and think next man up is disrespecting a first or second day draft pick that puts fear in any defense we play.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
IF...if we play our best game and IF Florida plays to their average this year we destroy them. But if we play to our average and they play like they did vs Utah then its a different story and the game could go either way. Our defense has to stop the run, contain Richardson and force them to pass. containing a running QB is something we have never done as a team no matter the coach or defense. We have also had a lot of success with mobile QBs historically. I don't know what it is but it just seems that way...seriously look at our most successful QB's in school history outside of Peyton most have been mobile guys. Look at the QB's (and WR's playing as QB's :eek:)that have toasted us the most... Mobile.
I actually think team strength favors UT a little more than that. UT can lose for sure. But I think the Vols have to play poorly and UF has to have its best game of the year by a fairly wide margin.

USF just gave a big part of the blueprint.

I think it is interesting that the one game that got the talking heads going about AR was Utah. He wasn't great throwing the ball. He completed 17/24 for 168 yds and no TD's. IMO, he would have to throw for well over 200 yds and a couple of TD's without any picks. If he does that then their run game can make up the rest of what they need to play well enough on O to win. IOW's, they need to do something they have not done this year.

I have read many posts in this thread about the impact of Tillman playing or not playing. The truth is that we are a better team with Tillman no question. However, the Vols can still win this game without him. Both sides of the argument are true. This is just my take, but the Vols MUST be able to run the ball against UF’s front 7 to avoid becoming one dimensional on offense. If we can run, then it gives Golesh a much better opportunity to call a good game as OC. I like our chances running the ball based on what UF has allowed on the ground this year. If the Vols have solid execution in all phases of the game and avoid costly errors well say hello to 4-0. GBO!

Really? Can you prove that? I've actually been amazed at how little teams do double him or give additional help over the top. Its almost as if teams still don't respect him.

Ball State may be a good model for UF to follow. They were willing to give up the run and the short stuff to prevent UT from going over the top. If I were Napier, that's what I would try to do and then play tough in the Red Zone.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Really? Can you prove that? I've actually been amazed at how little teams do double him or give additional help over the top. Its almost as if teams still don't respect him.

Ball State may be a good model for UF to follow. They were willing to give up the run and the short stuff to prevent UT from going over the top. If I were Napier, that's what I would try to do and then play tough in the Red Zone.

Pitt thought they could man him up and it cost them the game

Reactions: chattaboogie
Agree with this for the most part. The problem with Florida this year is they’ve been so inconsistent. Great overall game vs Utah, great defensive game vs KY but bad offense. Overall horrific game vs USF. Great AR vs Utah, all-world, NFL scouts drooling, media drooling, then absolutely the worst QB in the country vs KY and second half vs USF.

If the Florida that played against Utah and in big stretches vs KY show up, this will be a very close game. If the Florida team that escaped a bad USF team shows up, it’ll be over by halftime.

I have no idea which we’ll see, I just know I do not have faith in what I’ve seen from Florida so far. The terrible stretches carry more weight than the good stretches. I do think Florida will be the best team TN has played, yes, better than Pitt.
UT played a C- game against Pitt, who probably played the best they could have. What is largely being discounted, especially in here for some reason, is that UT can and should dictate this game. They are year two into a unique system that puts a ton of pressure on opposing teams. If UT can bring a B-level game and minimize mistakes there is nothing that Florida has showed that they can bring to the table to match it.

Of course these are young football players and anything can happen week-to-week, but as fans speaking about probabilities, this is the reality of this particular season.

Reactions: MaxVolnGA and Jaws
If Tillman is a no-go, I've seen a lot of you saying that Keyton and Merrill will need to step up. While all that is 100% true, I think the guys that really need to step up are Fant and Warren. I think we'll some more TE usage in this game if Tillman isn't able to go and Ventrell Miller is out for UF.

NO....we do not. If his injury is a high ankle sprain he needs to REST. Last evening on "talking Vols" it was said Tillman may be out 3-5 weeks. Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what was said in the program CHAT.
We have plenty of talent at WR to beat UF. GBO
Is he wearing the boot?

VN Store

Back