Any JJJ updates?

I can't see how anyone could argue that he's an "explosive" athlete. He's an above average athlete I guess, but he's not super fast and doesn't have a huge vertical leap. He's not Pons, and he's not even as athletic as Jordan. He's has a good frame and the nagging injuries could be effecting his explosiveness, but so far he's not "explosive "
"Explosive" can have a number of meanings on a basketball court. Definitely has a second gear bringing the ball up the court if he needs to use it. Watch him carefully rebounding, and although he's not 6'9", he definitely has some remarkable leaping ability.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
"Explosive" can have a number of meanings on a basketball court. Definitely has a second gear bringing the ball up the court if he needs to use it. Watch him carefully rebounding, and although he's not 6'9", he definitely has some remarkable leaping ability.
This is true. I can't jump to save my life, but I once did have an "explosive" moment on the bball court after grabbing some Taco Hell on my way there.

I don't see him as an excellent leaper, particularly if you look at his two or 3 dunks this year. He's got a good wingspan and is very good at using his body to seal off defenders, while also being pretty good at positioning. I would attribute all of those things way more to his rebounding ability than his leaping ability. I really think his speed is part of what holds him back on offense so I can't really agree on that either. Athletically he's average, but he has a good basketball IQ, and has very good strength and size for his position.

Edit: probably more of quickness than speed. His straight line speed is fine, but he's not very agile or quick.

Last edited:
19 year old 4 star / fringe 5 star that's been injured since he's been on campus that the posters have written off as an average at best ball player. Keep on doing what you do Vol Nation, keep doing what you do.
Pretty interesting how that happens. Next year should be even more interesting. We just might have the most awesome average team ever.

I'm mainly quoting MinisterofDef#92 when he said the "he lacks skill and explosiveness" argument was a stupid argument to make.

I actually misspoke there...the argument I was referring to was ZJC's statement that he was not an elite athlete. I agree he is not explosive like Pons but very few are. Judging who is elite is very subjective but I would say a true freshman playing as well as he is in the SEC is an "elite" athlete but JMO.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yet looking at his efficiency stats they are not good. Weird you didn’t quote those however.

Oh, I saw the efficiency stats you posted and I also saw @golfballs data which puts it into great context IMO...weird how you didn't put those stats into context in your original post. It is also weird to me how you did not even acknowledge the struggles of the entire team offensively which clearly effect some of those same stats. Again, it is weird to me how you seem to largely dismiss how a true freshman apparently battling an injury(ies) prior to the season would have started the season a bit "slow". Lastly, it is weird how you ignore how well JJJ was playing just prior to his recent injury. You can continue to be disappointed and I will continue to enjoy watching him develop and grow as he becomes a leader of this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: INDEFENSE
Let's see...double-figure scoring in 5 of his first 7 SEC conf games with a 1.3 assist/turnover ratio with 5 rebs per game while shooting over 45% in half those games and hitting 46% of his 3-pointers while attempting 28.

IMO it is more than fair to say he can improve (e.g., fewer turnovers) but it is completely asinine for anyone with any knowledge of the game to be disappointed by this

I thought James played a good game considering coming off injury. Amazing aim on the missed free throw. He’s an expert at hitting front of rim for sure.

Reactions: Namorto1
JJJ played well today. Shot well from three, only bad shots were desperation ones as clock was winding down, only one or two bad TOs on the lob and deep pass

Reactions: Namorto1
I don't see him as an excellent leaper, particularly if you look at his two or 3 dunks this year. He's got a good wingspan and is very good at using his body to seal off defenders, while also being pretty good at positioning. I would attribute all of those things way more to his rebounding ability than his leaping ability. I really think his speed is part of what holds him back on offense so I can't really agree on that either. Athletically he's average, but he has a good basketball IQ, and has very good strength and size for his position.

Edit: probably more of quickness than speed. His straight line speed is fine, but he's not very agile or quick.

👎🏻

JJJ is a nice player, has shown some good ability, and after a very slow start he really progressed and improved his play and production, at least up until the first SCar game. He played fairly well last night which was good to see considering the injury and his previous 3-4 games prior which weren’t very good. I think he has good potential to be a solid player, even a really good player who can do a lot of good things....he can be a good solid glue guy especially given the talent that is joining the roster next year.

But he at no point has he shown anything that shows the 5 star rating was accurate. He’s just not that guy. No doubt that he’s just a freshman and will certainly improve over the next 2-3 years. But a 5 star rating means a player is different, is special and you know it when see him.....again, he’s just not that guy.

JJJ is a nice player, has shown some good ability, and after a very slow start he really progressed and improved his play and production, at least up until the first SCar game. He played fairly well last night which was good to see considering the injury and his previous 3-4 games prior which weren’t very good. I think he has good potential to be a solid player, even a really good player who can do a lot of good things....he can be a good solid glue guy especially given the talent that is joining the roster next year.

But he at no point has he shown anything that shows the 5 star rating was accurate. He’s just not that guy. No doubt that he’s just a freshman and will certainly improve over the next 2-3 years. But a 5 star rating means a player is different, is special and you know it when see him.....again, he’s just not that guy.

Have you looked at his stats compared to other top 25 players? What are you basing this off of? Some sort of D4H-esque "eye test"?

Have you looked at his stats compared to other top 25 players? What are you basing this off of? Some sort of D4H-esque "eye test"?
I think we have a segment of the fanbase that would be happier if he shot 30% from 3 but looked prettier doing so

Then the other TWO-THIRDS of the players on THE LIST are not 5-star players, either. Makes it a really short list this year. Anthony and Edwards would be the only truly 5-star guys out there. And they both play on teams that are woeful, and they take boatloads of shots.

Reactions: VolGee4

You do realize that is you evened out his shot attempts with edwards that JJJ would have higher scoring avg....JJJ plays with in the system...im probably the minority but ill take a team player over a harden type player any day..

Wait a second....are you really telling me that 8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 37% shooting from the field is what you expect of a 5 star player? Is that what you expected from him? Over the years, I’ve seen 5 star players/freshmen be the best, most athletic, most productive players, most dominant players on the floor......been a ton of em.....JJJ is a nice player with good upside and good potential, but at no point has he even sniffed any of that.

VN Store

Back