Any JJJ updates?

Out of that group of 14, JJJ is...
7th in scoring
2nd in rebounding
3rd in assists

Quite the underachiever. 🙄

Some "disappointment" and all while battling nagging injuries. And, as some have pointed out, he was starting to play really well just prior to his injury...would be interesting to see what his stats and +/- were for that stretch.

So much for the "he lacks overall skill and explosiveness" argument...lol. I know we all have confirmation bias to one degree or another, but good grief, the stuff I see posted on this site by otherwise knowledgeable fans is stupefying at times.

I guess some of the blame comes from the rankings services, maybe we could say that? Or is it fans fault for their assumptions? Here is the deal, JJJ is not a basketball player that fits in the same "box" as most players these days. Especially players who recruiting services label as a 5-star. JJJ's value increases as his teammates ability increases. He has tremendous ability to do lots of the little things and do it as a guard with great size, strength and above average athleticism. Put him on last year's team and he would be a phenomenal glue player. For his size he handles the ball extremely well. Sees the floor and passes well. Shows a high basketball IQ. Has great temperament and plays calm and under-control. Rebounds really well. Versatile defender that can defend the perimeter and the paint. But he has weaknesses that unfortunately get amplified because this team with its current collection of talent needs him to do some things that are not his strength right now. His perimeter shot was always in question and honestly his 3pt shot has been better than anticipated. But he needs aggressive and skilled offensive players around him because he is going to default to them on offense and try to always make the extra pass. This team doesn't fit that well. They need him to find more scoring opportunities and he is not good at that right now. As strong and athletic as he is, he does not finish well when he attacks. Part of that is he appears to be need lots of work with his right hand. Favors his left very heavily and not comfortable attacking or trying to finish with his right hand.

I think once the freshman come in, Vescovi develops further and the transfer guard is eligible we will see JJJ settle in to the player that he is better suited to be. And over the next 2-3 seasons Barnes and his staff has the opportunity to do what they do best, develop him. But even once he develops more and improves his skills, he will always be a pass first, defensive, rebounding, big guard and many of his contributions will be things not seen in a scorebook. A guy that when you look at stats doesn't stand out but then when you look at his +/- for the game it seems unusually high.

Some "disappointment" and all while battling nagging injuries. And, as some have pointed out, he was starting to play really well just prior to his injury...would be interesting to see what his stats and +/- were for that stretch.

So much for the "he lacks overall skill and explosiveness" argument...lol. I know we all have confirmation bias to one degree or another, but good grief, the stuff I see posted on this site by otherwise knowledgeable fans is stupefying at times.

Yet looking at his efficiency stats they are not good. Weird you didn’t quote those however.

In conference play he ranks 5th in offensive efficiency among freshmen with a usage rate of at least 20%
Shackleford - 110.2
Watford - 109.5
Maxey - 106.6
Edwards - 106.2
JJJ - 103.3

Are you using kenpom? On sports ref they have him at 17.8%. Just curious

Generally, the higher the usage, the more difficult it is to maintain a high ORtg. It's why Jalen has the 2nd highest on the team. Can only really compare ORtg to players w similar usage.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The most interesting part about this discussion is that if James were ranked #32 overall (a 4*) instead of #22 (a 5*), then we likely aren’t having the discussion to begin with.

I can't see how anyone could argue that he's an "explosive" athlete. He's an above average athlete I guess, but he's not super fast and doesn't have a huge vertical leap. He's not Pons, and he's not even as athletic as Jordan. He's has a good frame and the nagging injuries could be effecting his explosiveness, but so far he's not "explosive "

I can't see how anyone could argue that he's an "explosive" athlete. He's an above average athlete I guess, but he's not super fast and doesn't have a huge vertical leap. He's not Pons, and he's not even as athletic as Jordan. He's has a good frame and the nagging injuries could be effecting his explosiveness, but so far he's not "explosive "
Has anyone really argued that he’s explosive, though? Those people, if any, have to be few and far between.

Last edited:
Are you using kenpom? On sports ref they have him at 17.8%. Just curious
Looking at the game log, I think Sports Ref is more accurate. The game log against LSU in KenPom is screwed up.

Also, should note this is just for conference games and it doesn't include Kansas which he played poorly in. Also the conference games he's played in have been against teams in the bottom half of the SEC whereas the other SEC freshman have faced generally tougher competition.

Looking at the game log, I think Sports Ref is more accurate. The game log against LSU in KenPom is screwed up.

Also, should note this is just for conference games and it doesn't include Kansas which he played poorly in. Also the conference games he's played in have been against teams in the bottom half of the SEC whereas the other SEC freshman have faced generally tougher competition.

Gotcha 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Has anyone really argued that he’s explosive, though? Those people, if any, have to be few and far between.
I'm mainly quoting MinisterofDef#92 when he said the "he lacks skill and explosiveness" argument was a stupid argument to make.

Out of that group of 14, JJJ is...
7th in scoring
2nd in rebounding
2nd in assists

Quite the underachiever. 🙄
The numbers don't lie. Anthony and Edwards jack up a lot of questionable shots, which hurts their team. Maxey is very solid, but overall, JJJ is just as solid. Also, considering Josiah's injury and time missed, these numbers would have looked even better.

VN Store

Back