Any JJJ updates?

I just thought of this. I think JJJ is going to turn out like JP Prince. A fine SEC player and one you want on your team with his defense and rebounding but never lives up to the big billing and leaves you wanting more on offense. JJJ is a better shooter, Prince a better slasher/playmaker. But I think that’s going to be the type of career we see from JJJ. A role player wing type.

I just thought of this. I think JJJ is going to turn out like JP Prince. A fine SEC player and one you want on your team with his defense and rebounding but never lives up to the big billing and leaves you wanting more on offense. JJJ is a better shooter, Prince a better slasher/playmaker. But I think that’s going to be the type of career we see from JJJ. A role player wing type.
I see little to no similarities between the two. JP played his arse off every possession and was an elite defender. JJJ def has a higher offensive ceiling, however he plays with maybe a tenth of the intensity of JP Prince.

Side note: one of my favorite JP Prince moments has to be when he almost got T’d up for trash talking fans before the 1 v 2 Memphis game. Just incredible.

Reactions: Orange DNA
I think that the JJJ v JP comparison makes a lot on sense. We didn't have JP until his third year as a college player and he never averaged double digit points and barely averaged over 4 rebounds in just one season. JJJ is battling an injury through his entire true freshman season and JP's first game was as a RS sophomore. Both are point-forwards. JP averaged less than 2 assists his first year and 3.1 in each of the last 2. I think that JJJ will put up much better numbers over his career. We'll see if he can get a swagger shortly after 2020-2021 tips off. He came into this season not competing with Turner and Bowden to be the alpha dog.

I made this same comparison earlier in the year, with the hope that JJJ was going to be a significantly better offensive player, and he may still be with increased experience. Nagging health concerns may be another thing they have in common.

I do agree with @berryvol though, that JPP had much more of a killer instinct and intensity. There is a small chance that JJJ develops that, in time, but that trait is generally something you either have, or you don't.

I was not a fan of JPP's antics or his disbelief at any foul called against him, but I wish some of his confidence would magically appear in JJJ

Reactions: berryvol
I see little to no similarities between the two. JP played his arse off every possession and was an elite defender. JJJ def has a higher offensive ceiling, however he plays with maybe a tenth of the intensity of JP Prince.

Side note: one of my favorite JP Prince moments has to be when he almost got T’d up for trash talking fans before the 1 v 2 Memphis game. Just incredible.

I wasn’t making a player comparison in terms of how they play more what their careers end up looking like

Reactions: berryvol
I think part of what rubs people the wrong way is the percieved lack of effort from JJJ. I think he does try hard, but just his body language just looks bad. Almost looks like James Harden at times. You compare that to Fulkerson and Gaines, and it's just a little offputting.

He has gotten his health and confidence. He is going to be a incredible player for us-- amazing last night.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Wait a second....are you really telling me that 8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 37% shooting from the field is what you expect of a 5 star player? Is that what you expected from him? Over the years, I’ve seen 5 star players/freshmen be the best, most athletic, most productive players, most dominant players on the floor......been a ton of em.....JJJ is a nice player with good upside and good potential, but at no point has he even sniffed any of that.
Lookin better KB?

Reactions: cardvolfan

JP was actually almost always the player down the court all alone waiting for a free basket while his teammates were turning the other team over.

I think that the JJJ v JP comparison makes a lot on sense. We didn't have JP until his third year as a college player and he never averaged double digit points and barely averaged over 4 rebounds in just one season. JJJ is battling an injury through his entire true freshman season and JP's first game was as a RS sophomore. Both are point-forwards. JP averaged less than 2 assists his first year and 3.1 in each of the last 2. I think that JJJ will put up much better numbers over his career. We'll see if he can get a swagger shortly after 2020-2021 tips off. He came into this season not competing with Turner and Bowden to be the alpha dog.
JJJ will be better thanJP ever thought about being. JJJ is just beginning to show what he can do and does it quietly. If he is her for 2 more years, he will be very special.

He’s had the best two game stretch of his career and Kentucky was probably the best game of his career. Let’s see if that continues.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think that JJJ could be the glue guy that could make next year special. He does many things very well and will complement any mixture of player combinations. If he upgrades his shooting percentage and frequency then All-SEC is in play. Two-and-done will also be in play.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back