Angrier About Florida Loss

Aside from beating the brakes off of LSU, we have proven to struggle on the road, especially at night. This has to be something the coaching staff has recognized and that needs to be addressed.

Don’t @ me about beating Vandy 50-0. Vandy is the only team in the country that plays 12 road games.

I'm more concerned with Texas A&M at this point, their way better than Florida.

True but we seem to play great at home and Aggie is always very flawed. Honestly, Aggie is a great comparison to Tennessee. If they play well, they do well, if not, they look very bad.

Aggie plays Alabama this week so I could see a letdown game next week for them. I like our chances with the Bye and with Aggie playing a major game this week. If it was in College Station, I would be worried. Being in Knoxville really helps us.

Reactions: rgvol
Aside from beating the brakes off of LSU, we have proven to struggle on the road, especially at night. This has to be something the coaching staff has recognized and that needs to be addressed.

Don’t @ me about beating Vandy 50-0. Vandy is the only team in the country that plays 12 road games.

We beat Pittsburgh as well but that wasn't easy and Pitt had a weaker environment than LSU at noon.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I don't think the players feel as cursed or snake-bit as us long time fans feel.
They don't think much past their time on the team.
Very Recent history is all they care about.
And that is understandable. Some of us have over 35 years in it, some have even more than that. Most players (maybe with exception to legacy and local guys) are here because it was the best opportunity for their football careers. That's fine. They still want to win, I’m sure, but I can’t expect the same emotional ties that we have. Yet. I do think that will come for them, the longer they are here. I hardly see any former players that didn’t develop that when they came here. It takes time to appreciate the history, tradition, rivalries, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpookyAction
The Florida game will remain a “boil on the butt” of 2023. That loss will get uglier as the season goes on especially if Napier gets run out of Gainesville.

Reactions: Tnphil
Here’s a hypothetical question void of any purpose other than discussion. If Deion Sanders is the head coach of the Vols this year, is there any way they lose that game?

I say no way. And I don’t want Deion here nor do I think he’s a better coach than Heupel. I just think that’s a unique situation where what Deion does best would make a difference. The swagger and confidence he brings would probably swing the game the Vols way.

We won in 2003 (Ron Zook was coach). That was the last win in the Swamp. That one was pretty easy win (I think 24-10 win).

2001 was interesting because Tennessee was a big underdog and won in the Swamp. In fact, 2001 and 2003 were back to back wins in the Swamp and it looked like Tennessee had overcome the monkey but we haven't won there since...

Forgot about that one, been so few. Well the curse must have gone into effect in 2005, ha.

Mays was hurt. Unlike the UK game it was in the Swamp. The refs were a major reason we lost.

Mays and Mincey being out definitely made a difference. The refs and the new running clock rules certainly didn't help in the second half. The new clock rules are great when you're ahead by a few scores but awful if you're behind. Like others have said though, it's all for more revenue. They just supplemented the saved time with more commericals.

I would say get over it, but I am still pissed about the 1990 Auburn and Bama games, so that would make me a hypocrite.
Part of being a fan is to never get over the losses and never stop feeling elated about the big wins. I will never get over the 1969 loss to Ole Miss and I was in high school at the time.

Mays out, Mincey out at least on offense. I’m still at a loss why Heupel decided to discipline Mincey in a place where we haven’t won in twenty years.
EXACTLY! Since it wasn't bad enough to keep him out the next week! OR on Special teams. That one is a head scratcher.

How did this happen?

Their line is so much worse. Backs too

Inexplicable

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!
I think by the end of the year we will all be really disgusted with that loss. (I know we already are) That loss is going to look teriible by the end of the year because I'm afraid Florida is trash.
I think if we win out )I know I know) we will be lucky to get in the playoff just because of how bad that loss will look by then.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Get over it.

If history has told us anything, Florida just owns us in football.

That’s not a knock on the program but Fulmer sucked against Florida too. So did Butch, Dooley, Pruitt, and Heupel has lost to them twice now since he’s been here.

It is what it is.

Definitely a tough pill to swallow. I wish the AD would hire a team psychologist to diagnose why there is such a huge mental problem when playing Florduh and figure out how to fix it. They get so psyched out, they completely forget how to play football in Gainesville.
THIS

My response to the OP is that the Vols had their heads up their own orifices as they so often do against the Gators.

Dumb penalties, missed blocks, missed tackles, dropped passes, overthrown passes, missed open WR, horrible officiating.....you name it...that game had it.

It was like a greatest hits album of UT-FL games unfortunately.

Reactions: Bret178 and Raebo
Definitely a tough pill to swallow. I wish the AD would hire a team psychologist to diagnose why there is such a huge mental problem when playing Florduh and figure out how to fix it. They get so psyched out, they completely forget how to play football in Gainesville.
This...but more than anything, I think the early season game has benefitted them more than us. Look at 2001. We won the best game between the 2 ever played in my opinion.

2 things can be true so there really is no reason to be upset about the loss.

If we win out the rest of the year we're in the college playoffs period. If we beat Florida and then lost to Georgia a non-championship team is not getting into the playoffs.

Let's just handle business going forward
Yeah, no problem

I bet you thought the SC game would be tough. So you are using the UF game as a gauge aren’t you? It’s you who are insane. We are vastly better than UK right now. Now they beat UGA? Then we can talk. As of right now? We are a much better team. If you disagree then why?
Explain to me how we're better. They beat the bum ass team that we should have manhandled. They looked really good last game, especially the running game.

Explain to me how we're better. They beat the bum ass team that we should have manhandled. They looked really good last game, especially the running game.
We have the better DL and LBs. We have the better QB, TE and WR. Again you are trying to use the transitive property like I said. It doesn’t work. UK played UF at home. We had u juries on our OL. You can believe whatever you want. But we are better than UK. If you can’t see that then whatever.

VN Store

Back