Angrier About Florida Loss

You don't think the Kentucky game will be tough? If so, you're insane.
I bet you thought the SC game would be tough. So you are using the UF game as a gauge aren’t you? It’s you who are insane. We are vastly better than UK right now. Now they beat UGA? Then we can talk. As of right now? We are a much better team. If you disagree then why?

IMO we are a decent or good team but not an elite team. Which means we have to play well or even a poor SEC team can beat us at their place with a raucous crowd behind them if they play to their potential. We can point the finger in several direction but the bottom line is we did not play well and they took advantage of our mistakes.
We have not played a good team yet IMO so the next few games will be a real challenge. The SEC has taken a step backwards but with the players we have lost, so have we. This years team IS NOT last years team!

Last edited:
Reactions: volbound1700
Yeah when Vols beat Georgia in Neyland and knock them out of playoffs, Swamp game will be trivial.

Reactions: Orange.
2 things can be true so there really is no reason to be upset about the loss.

If we win out the rest of the year we're in the college playoffs period. If we beat Florida and then lost to Georgia a non-championship team is not getting into the playoffs.

Let's just handle business going forward

Reactions: 08Vol and A.J.
I'm waiting for the next few weeks to play out before I jump to any conclusions. It's possible that South Carolina is just really really bad and made us look better than we are. Now if we win one of the next two and/or UF loses to South Carolina, then yeah it will feel like we really missed an opportunity in Gainesville.
The same South Carolina team that almost beat Georgia? They are all of a sudden bad because we beat them? That’s what the media seems to be saying too. Do you not remember the hype they had after the Georgia and ms st games?

As a glutton for punishment, I actually went back and watched the broadcast this evening. I was at the game so this was my first time seeing how things looked on TV (and it's the first time I've been back home since that game). I think one thing that hurt us from the start was Heupel's decision to defer to the second half. The time of possession really killed us in the first half as the Vols had the ball for only a third of what Fla had it. With so little possession the offense never seemed to get back into a rhythm after the first drive, especially with all the presnap penalties. Fla was able to build up the big lead and that put UT behind the 8-ball and trying to come back. In the second half, the Vols would get things going and then something would happen - the ref kicking the ball on the 4th-down play allowing Fla to get set (including substituting), the bogus crack-back block penalty on Castles, numerous non-calls on pass interference and offensive holding - and the guys weren't able to pull off the comeback. And for all of the people hating on Hadden, the only bad play he had in this game was the Ettiene TD run; as others have pointed out, including Fowler and Herby, the safety (Walker in this case) was the one who really whiffed on this play taking out one of our other defenders and likely affecting Hadden's pursuit of the play. He had several key tackles on outside run plays and screens. As for pass plays, there were very few thrown in his vicinity; he broke up the one pass that I actually recall seeing thrown to someone he was defending. The other DBs had much worse games than Hadden in this one. On the offensive side, Ollie Lane was the one who caused the most damage with snap infractions, holding calls, and the personal foul during the interception return. The overall offensive line play was mediocre, and yet our running backs had some success moving the ball when given the chance.

As is usually the case, especially when playing the Gators in the swamp, they played their best game of the season and we were sort of 'meh'. And I know people say "Don't blame the officiating for losing this game," but I'd have to say the officiating had a huge impact on the flow, and ultimately, the outcome of this game. Conceivably there were 21 points or so lost on the 4th-down stop, the Castles penalty, and the non-PI calls (on at least two plays) on the Vols last drive in the 4th quarter. The Vols lost by 13 - and many on here want to say the officiating didn't affect the outcome of this game??!
Agree with all of this add in Ollie Lane is a good guard but he was over his head at Center in a hyped up Swamp. We needed Mays to control the offense pace & Mincey & Ollie over playing guard. The refs were terrible.
I think down the road UF fans will say dam them Vols & the refs they allowed Sunbelt Billy to keep his job and keep UF squandering.

Reactions: jaxvol
We beat uga. Relax...it's a bye week. We're improving and getting healthy. Plus...dee williams

Road game.. Didn't match their energy early in the game. Offense and Defense both, the coaching too was all about as bad as i've seen it in Heupel's time here. The first half looked like they never got off the plane, bus or whatever they arrived in. They finally figured out they were in a football game in the second half but the damage was already done by then. Then the refs weren't going to let them back in the game either. May have saved Billy Napier's job for him with that turd they laid. That's 3 games now that i've witnessed were Tennesssee just wasn't ready for the environment.. UGA, USCjr, UF all on the road. Got to get better playing those away games.

Doesn't matter who is playing for us - we can't win in the swamp, even if they only played 9 all game on D

Road game.. Didn't match their energy early in the game. Offense and Defense both, the coaching too was all about as bad as i've seen it in Heupel's time here. The first half looked like they never got off the plane, bus or whatever they arrived in. They finally figured out they were in a football game in the second half but the damage was already done by then. Then the refs weren't going to let them back in the game either. May have saved Billy Napier's job for him with that turd they laid. That's 3 games now that i've witnessed were Tennesssee just wasn't ready for the environment.. UGA, USCjr, UF all on the road. Got to get better playing those away games.
Spot on. But then there’s the LSU game. We are a very inconsistent road team the past 2 years

Reactions: Cartervol
Spot on. But then there’s the LSU game. We are a very inconsistent road team the past 2 years
Yep.. I don't know what happened in that game. I know i kept looking at it in the first half and pretty much saying WTF? Over and Over again. It was bad.

If we win out the rest of the year we're in the college playoffs period. If we beat Florida and then lost to Georgia a non-championship team is not getting into the playoffs.

No offence to you, but we ain't making the playoffs..

Reactions: 08Vol
College Football is like this. Teams have up weeks and down weeks. Great teams (like Georgia) find ways to survive down weeks like Georgia did against Auburn. I don't buy that Georgia is down as they were doing this mess last year.

Even last year, we had headscratchers. We barely beat Pittsburgh and Florida nearly beat us towards the end of the game. If you watch the full season, Tennessee should have stomped both of them. Then there was South Carolina...

I have noted that Heupel teams haven't done well on the road (it is almost opposite of Fulmer era where the team seemed to struggle more in Knoxville when I was in school there from 2002-2005).

I am more frustrated about the loss because it just continues to support the narrative of Tennessee being unable to beat Florida (which is true). It is sickening, for example, that Will Muschamp went undefeated against Tennessee as Florida's coach despite being a terrible coach or the fact they only beat McElwain's Florida teams once.

No, the official answer is now “Swamp Voodoo”.

Yes not the 1st time a better Vol team went to the Swamp and lost. As a Cajun friend of mine once said about curses: "just because you don't believe don't mean it doesn't exist". I think Spurrier put it on us. The last game we won at the Swamp was Spurrier's last game there as he announced he was leaving for NFL right after.

I'm more hopeful for the music city bowl lmao

Yes not the 1st time a better Vol team went to the Swamp and lost. As a Cajun friend of mine once said about curses: "just because you don't believe don't mean it doesn't exist". I think Spurrier put it on us. The last game we won at the Swamp was Spurrier's last game there as he announced he was leaving for NFL right after.

We won in 2003 (Ron Zook was coach). That was the last win in the Swamp. That one was pretty easy win (I think 24-10 win).

2001 was interesting because Tennessee was a big underdog and won in the Swamp. In fact, 2001 and 2003 were back to back wins in the Swamp and it looked like Tennessee had overcome the monkey but we haven't won there since...

VN Store

Back