Angrier About Florida Loss

2 things can be true so there really is no reason to be upset about the loss.

If we win out the rest of the year we're in the college playoffs period. If we beat Florida and then lost to Georgia a non-championship team is not getting into the playoffs.

Let's just handle business going forward

I'm waiting for the next few weeks to play out before I jump to any conclusions. It's possible that South Carolina is just really really bad and made us look better than we are. Now if we win one of the next two and/or UF loses to South Carolina, then yeah it will feel like we really missed an opportunity in Gainesville.

Reactions: Smokey7 and 08Vol
Definitely a tough pill to swallow. I wish the AD would hire a team psychologist to diagnose why there is such a huge mental problem when playing Florduh and figure out how to fix it. They get so psyched out, they completely forget how to play football in Gainesville.

How did this happen?

Their line is so much worse. Backs too

Inexplicable

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

I’m still a little po’d about it as well. In fairness, I’m still po’d about the 2015 game too.

Taking a step back, though, this squad looks like a 7-8 win program. Unless something changes over the course of the season, that’s about where I expect for them to land. That type of team is the type that loses a few they probably shouldn’t, and this was one of them.

No, I’m not a negavol. Just calling it like I see it.

If we win out the rest of the year we're in the college playoffs period. If we beat Florida and then lost to Georgia a non-championship team is not getting into the playoffs.

I like this take a lot, very reasonable. The SEC is perceived as down this season (unlike the last X years) while the Big Ten and Pac-12 each have three Top Ten teams (the former with two in the Top Five). An 11-1 season with a loss to UGA would have been awesome, but Tennessee almost certainly wouldn't have made the CFP so that goal always required winning the SEC which centers around beating Georgia in November.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Oh Billy just had to have his signature win. Yes Tennessee played bad the first half. But every time Tennessee started to come back there was some BS call or no call. The refs were not gonna let Billy lose that game. The pass interference on the 15 yard line that was blatant, their offensive line pretty much holding all game, the bs crack back block that even the announcers were complaining about ,oh yea the referee mysteriously kicking the ball when we were getting ready to score which gave the gators time to reset their defense. The refs definitely took away 21 pts from the Vols. I chalk it up to they just weren’t going to let Florida lose.Hell I had to turn it off because of all the BS calls.

As a glutton for punishment, I actually went back and watched the broadcast this evening. I was at the game so this was my first time seeing how things looked on TV (and it's the first time I've been back home since that game). I think one thing that hurt us from the start was Heupel's decision to defer to the second half. The time of possession really killed us in the first half as the Vols had the ball for only a third of what Fla had it. With so little possession the offense never seemed to get back into a rhythm after the first drive, especially with all the presnap penalties. Fla was able to build up the big lead and that put UT behind the 8-ball and trying to come back. In the second half, the Vols would get things going and then something would happen - the ref kicking the ball on the 4th-down play allowing Fla to get set (including substituting), the bogus crack-back block penalty on Castles, numerous non-calls on pass interference and offensive holding - and the guys weren't able to pull off the comeback. And for all of the people hating on Hadden, the only bad play he had in this game was the Ettiene TD run; as others have pointed out, including Fowler and Herby, the safety (Walker in this case) was the one who really whiffed on this play taking out one of our other defenders and likely affecting Hadden's pursuit of the play. He had several key tackles on outside run plays and screens. As for pass plays, there were very few thrown in his vicinity; he broke up the one pass that I actually recall seeing thrown to someone he was defending. The other DBs had much worse games than Hadden in this one. On the offensive side, Ollie Lane was the one who caused the most damage with snap infractions, holding calls, and the personal foul during the interception return. The overall offensive line play was mediocre, and yet our running backs had some success moving the ball when given the chance.

As is usually the case, especially when playing the Gators in the swamp, they played their best game of the season and we were sort of 'meh'. And I know people say "Don't blame the officiating for losing this game," but I'd have to say the officiating had a huge impact on the flow, and ultimately, the outcome of this game. Conceivably there were 21 points or so lost on the 4th-down stop, the Castles penalty, and the non-PI calls (on at least two plays) on the Vols last drive in the 4th quarter. The Vols lost by 13 - and many on here want to say the officiating didn't affect the outcome of this game??!

I’m still hot under the collar about the second half of the 2001 SECCG.

But to your question- we didn’t have Mays in Florida, and I think that makes all the difference in the world.
Then its time to start recruiting some 5 star OL

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back