And the end of college football begins..

Didnt expect to. Much easier to blame everyone else for some undefined wrong than actually develop a workable plan that will be acceptable to the involved parties. That's why we have message boards.
I'm unaware of who or where you thought I was blaming anyone. But, in general, I think it is best practice to define a problem before you try to fix it. And, more importantly, leave the government out of it.

In the mid-eighties or early nineties, due to tax evasion circumstances, the federal government took over several well known and well established brothels in the state of Nevada where such activities are legal.
After a year of having these establishments in their control, every one of them was losing money and a couple had filed for bankruptcy.

So I ask you, why should we trust a government that couldn't run a whorehouse be entrusted to run college sports?

ZZzzzz

So I guess that scholarship from UT, that is worth $13k for in-state and $31k for out-of-state for players is worth nothing, considering they get a full ride to play a sport they love..... I say go ahead and pay them, but do not give them scholarships.....let the power conferences get in bidding wars for players, everything we love about college athletics and what is left of the purity of the sport will be further tainted by the stench of the almighty dollar and entitled kids......

Reagan was right...."The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "
Predatory capitalism vs Mega government...two wings of same bird...fightin' each other as they crash to the ground. Shakespeareanesque, Jonathan Swift like, really. Just an opinion as I support no political view other than, coexist but don't tread on me (live and let live).

Reactions: UTwild82
20 hour a week job LMAO, this is so dense. They can practice for 20 hours a week, that doesn’t include their conditioning...doesn’t include their film study on their other times...doesn’t include their studies. They put in more hours than almost everyone on this board.
And they get a free education, insurance, clothing, guidance, the best health care, the best food, contacts for their future and the college experience as well as a cost of living stipend all for free. The players get enough as amateur athletes.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Funny how when critical of players we talk of them as they are adults...except when it's time to pay them.
News flash "nothing's free"...they're paid opportunity of formal ed, meals, blah, blah, blah and they perform a service. They do so in a hugely profitable business called CFB. The money is seemingly astronomical now...did you think lawyers/agents were just let that flow by without dipping in it? Coaches paid millions a year, to fail sometimes. Athlete fails, even if not his/her fault...haven't got a leg to stand on other than good intentions others.

Nah, I say it's all a 'game', won by those that know the rules of the game the best and are willing to play. It's in the courts now, all logic is out the window.

Reactions: zjcvols
And they get a free education, insurance, clothing, guidance, the best health care, the best food, contacts for their future and the college experience as well as a cost of living stipend all for free. The players get enough as amateur athletes.

And yet they still can’t profit off their name and likeness, which isn’t right. It’s not about what they get. Yeah sure they get a lot of good perks but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed to make more.

See here’s the problem. You all think they should shut up and be grateful instead of finding ways to increase their value. That’s not right nor how it should work.

If you are making $70,000/year but you deserve $100,000...you can try and get a raise, change job and make more etc. nobody tells you to shut up and be grateful for what you have. $70,000 is plenty of money to make a solid living. Why can’t you be grateful for what you have and stop complaining so much?

And again, you want them to be amateurs when the money is so large now that idea is dead. In the 50’s/60’s sure, that makes sense. But now? How is the SEC making over $300M per year from television deals an amateur operation?

Last edited:
Gus Malzahn just got $21M guaranteed for getting fired and you all still pretend this is amateur athletics.

Reactions: MaTaLa
And yet they still can’t profit off their name and likeness, which isn’t right. It’s not about what they get. Yeah sure they get a lot of good perks but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed to make more.

See here’s the problem. You all think they should shut up and be grateful instead of finding ways to increase their value. That’s not right nor how it should work.

If you are making $70,000/year but you deserve $100,000...you can try and get a raise, change job and make more etc. nobody tells you to shut up and be grateful for what you have. $70,000 is plenty of money to make a solid living. Why can’t you be grateful for what you have and stop complaining so much?

And again, you want them to be amateurs when the money is so large now that idea is dead. In the 50’s/60’s sure, that makes sense. But now? How is the SEC making over $300M per year from television deals an amateur operation?
It doesn't matter what the institution makes, if a kid wants to remove his Amateur status he can do so anytime he wants. If he wants to go pro he can try and do that on his own without college help. You guys talk about all this profit, what do you think pays for all of our scholarships, health care, insurance, food, clothing, facilities and the coaches. We're $50 million in the hole this year, how in the hell are we going to give the hundreds of athletes on campus any more than they already get?

It doesn't matter what the institution makes, if a kid wants to remove his Amateur status he can do so anytime he wants. If he wants to go pro he can try and do that on his own without college help. You guys talk about all this profit, what do you think pays for all of our scholarships, health care, insurance, food, clothing, facilities and the coaches. We're $50 million in the hole this year, how in the hell are we going to give the hundreds of athletes on campus any more than they already get?
Pretend like they're a coach you're buying out for failing

You keep not understanding any of this.

Your ability to make money off your name and likeness doesn’t have to go through the school. The school doesn’t have to pay them a dime more. If Keon Johnson wants to be able to make money using his name and image, he should. Just like everyone else.

For example: Ogle, Elrod and Barrill want to use Keon and pay him $25,000 to use him in a series of commercials. Or Jaden and his buddies want to use YouTube to do some videos and profit off that. They should be in their rights to do that. Every non athlete collegiate student can do that and continue to participate in whatever clubs and school activities they want. Except athletes. They can’t and play sports. That’s not right.

I'm completely fine with the name and likeness ones. These athletes should be able to make some money off their own brand. Nearly all of them won't be millionaires, but they'll be able to get some walking around cash (plus NCAA football can return). I'm against pretty much everything else being proposed.

You keep not understanding any of this.

Your ability to make money off your name and likeness doesn’t have to go through the school. The school doesn’t have to pay them a dime more. If Keon Johnson wants to be able to make money using his name and image, he should. Just like everyone else.

For example: Ogle, Elrod and Barrill want to use Keon and pay him $25,000 to use him in a series of commercials. Or Jaden and his buddies want to use YouTube to do some videos and profit off that. They should be in their rights to do that. Every non athlete collegiate student can do that and continue to participate in whatever clubs and school activities they want. Except athletes. They can’t and play sports. That’s not right.
Once again, that athlete can choose to drop his amateur status anytime he wants and go get those endorsements. The athlete chooses if he wants to be an amateur or not. College athletics are simply a league for those with amateur status and for competitive reasons they don't allow professional athletes.

I'm completely fine with the name and likeness ones. These athletes should be able to make some money off their own brand. Nearly all of them won't be millionaires, but they'll be able to get some walking around cash (plus NCAA football can return). I'm against pretty much everything else being proposed.
They already get walk around cash.

Once again, that athlete can choose to drop his amateur status anytime he wants and go get those endorsements. The athlete chooses if he wants to be an amateur or not. College athletics are simply a league for those with amateur status and for competitive reasons they don't allow professional athletes.

You’re acting like amateurism is still a real thing. They already get a stipend outside of what the school provides in terms of scholarships and room and board...so when does amateurism die? If we want to this to be a true amateur operation, why isn’t Nick Saban and Ed Orgeron teaching classes? See you want the players to respect the rules of amateurism but not the coaches, school, conferences, NCAA and fans because other than the players nobody is acting like this is an amateurism operation. You still haven’t answered what is currently going is “amateur athletics” when none of it embodies the amateur portion of the sports with all the money.

Also “competitive reasons” is a crock of an excuse when only six teams have even won a college football playoff game (OSU, Oregon, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and LSU).

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsSportsFan
NCAA football is a league for Amateur athletes, what coaches get paid has absolutely nothing to do with who is allowed to play in that league.

Why do the players have to follow the rules of amateurism but nobody else? This isn’t the 1950’s anymore.

Definition of AMATEUR

I don’t think coaches are engaging in this as a “pastime”

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I see the communists are still defending suppression of an American citizen's right to earn cold, hard, cash.

How many of you would do your job if your company said it was no longer paying you actual money but instead it was going to trade you things for your service. Things it thought you needed rather than allowing you to get money to spend however you see fit? Meanwhile your company is making hundreds of millions of dollars directly off a small pool of labor you and your fellow employees provide.

I see the communists are still defending suppression of an American citizen's right to earn cold, hard, cash.

How many of you would do your job if your company said it was no longer paying you actual money but instead it was going to trade you things for your service. Things it thought you needed rather than allowing you to get money to spend however you see fit? Meanwhile your company is making hundreds of millions of dollars directly off a small pool of labor you and your fellow employees provide.
Ridiculous to compare actual working for a living to playing an amateur sport. You don't have to accept how you are treated once you are grown and in the real world working for a living, when you play sports, any sport, you choose to play as an amateur or professional, if you choose amateur you must play by the rules of that amateur sport, if you choose professional then you have a say in what you think your value is. I don't know anyone that thinks turning college or HS sports into professional sport is a good idea.

I'm unaware of who or where you thought I was blaming anyone. But, in general, I think it is best practice to define a problem before you try to fix it. And, more importantly, leave the government out of it.
The problem was very clearly defined. Courts have said it is illegal to prevent students from earning income from their image. Several state legislatures have written their own laws in this regard. The NCAA has said we must have one rule ,not 50, and here we are.

Ridiculous to compare actual working for a living to playing an amateur sport. You don't have to accept how you are treated once you are grown and in the real world working for a living, when you play sports, any sport, you choose to play as an amateur or professional, if you choose amateur you must play by the rules of that amateur sport, if you choose professional then you have a say in what you think your value is. I don't know anyone that thinks turning college or HS sports into professional sport is a good idea.

But it’s perfectly okay for coaches to determine their value and make money off their name and likeness...and it’s perfectly okay for coaches to make millions of dollars...and it’s perfectly okay for conferences to rake in nine figure television deals...

But it’s perfectly okay for coaches to determine their value and make money off their name and likeness...and it’s perfectly okay for coaches to make millions of dollars...and it’s perfectly okay for conferences to rake in nine figure television deals...
Yes, it's perfectly ok, why would it not be, it's not a league for amateur coaching like little league or pee wee football.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Yes, it's perfectly ok, why would it not be, it's not a league for amateur coaching like little league or pee wee football.

Oh so everyone else can be treated as a professional but not the actual players playing and providing the entertainment. It’s fine that Nick Saban can make AFLAC commercials because the NCAA says so but it’s not okay for Devonta Smith to make AFLAC commercials because the NCAA says so. They don’t get those same capabilities. That’s ridiculous and quite honestly hypocritical.

Oh so everyone else can be treated as a professional but not the actual players playing and providing the entertainment. It’s fine that Nick Saban can make AFLAC commercials because the NCAA says so but it’s not okay for Devonta Smith to make AFLAC commercials because the NCAA says so. They don’t get those same capabilities. That’s ridiculous and quite honestly hypocritical.
Once again, Devonta Smith can go professional anytime he wants and do all the commercials he wants anytime he wants to, he just can't play amateur sports when he makes that decision.

They already get walk around cash.
If they’re already getting paid then aren’t they already professional? You can’t keep talking about everything they get with a huge monetary value and the pretend they’re amateurs. Doesn’t really matter, the courts said it’s fine and the NCAA agrees so get ready to see players in the occasional tv commercial.

VN Store

Back