And the end of college football begins..

Fade, I don't think a draft bill prepared by a couple of senators equates to "the end beginning."

There are a few things in the bill that, even if other members of Congress take it seriously, are not likely to survive the endless negotiations and mark-ups to follow. Things like lifetime scholarships and presidential appointments.

I mean, on the latter, can you imagine? The President of the United States appoints his cabinet members and a surprising number of their direct subordinates, judges to the Supreme Court and other federal courts. So he's kinda busy in the appointment business already. And these two fellas want him to appoint all the panel members for oversight of a sport, too? Just one sport. Out of many. And not even at the professional level. Will all the other major college and professional sports get their own oversight committees, too? Each with 9 members and their own staffs? Each taking up hundreds of millions of tax-payer dollars to operate? It's mind-boggling when you think about the drastic reach of that one provision alone.

So, in short, it ain't happening.

As mentioned in the article, these fellas' proposal is just one of several being drafted by different members of Congress. Naturally, it's the most far-reaching...that's why ESPN wrote about it rather than one of the others.

So don't go starting the "end times clock" just yet. Heh.

Last edited:
That bill is not going to pass as is. But, if anyone in Indianapolis had even the slightest sense, they'd work on revamping the current model before congress has a chance to pass any version of any of these bills. But they don't have even the slightest sense, so they're going to allow themselves to get backed into a corner.

I can see state government trying to do this, why does the federal government think that this falls under their umbrella?

Reactions: carpbc
If the athletes get half of the revenue after scholarships are paid, that will drastically cut what dollars the universities get from sports. They will quickly find sports teams are not profitable.
I saw no mention of how the funding of women's sports will be done. If this bill becomes law the days of big coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, support staff and TV contracts are over. The money maker, football, might survive only at a few schools. I see in the future the NFL will be forced to pay for their own minor leagues, basketball is already laying that foundation.

50% of revenue left after scholarships to go back to the athletes?

Assuming $40k per year a scholarship, that adds up to $3.4 million a year. In 2019, football alone generated $96.1 million in revenue at UT. Subtracting scholarships out and then dividing by half leaves $46.35 million which works out to $545,294 per player per season.

UT operating expenses for football in 2019 were $52.7 million meaning after giving players their share, football loses money. And there's zero money left to support all the non-revenue sports.

Sure, that will work.

I can see state government trying to do this, why does the federal government think that this falls under their umbrella?
I don't know, but I guess the exploitation of the students to make a whole buncha money looks like something that needs supervision (nationally). About the image and likeness controversy, it's hard to argue with the players. It's not "right". Originally, the lack of compensation was considered essential to give you a level playing field. The rules became more and more nitpicky and silly while the amount of money being made became more enormous. It was that sort of thing that needed to collapse under its own weight. Image and likeness just kicked the door in. So really, as-we-know-it is already over. It's just still unclear what sort of world we're in now. The old system is still rolling along.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back