All things STOCKS

Not a stock-specific comment, but (rightly or wrongly) my impression of VWs is that they are pretty nice, but when something goes wrong, they're $$$ to fix, so I wouldn't buy one.

Will maintenance costs be less of a factor for EVs?

Not a stock-specific comment, but (rightly or wrongly) my impression of VWs is that they are pretty nice, but when something goes wrong, they're $$$ to fix, so I wouldn't buy one.

No idea. If you go to a dealer they will get their money one way or another.
I look for cars that are reliable. According to Consumer Reports their cars are hit and miss. I've heard good things about their battery.
I would expect EV to have less maintenance, but I don't know that.

Oh well. I’m way overdue on a pull back. There was one yesterday before markets did a nice 180. Looks like yesterday’s gains are gone. Hopefully the bottom of this retracement is here quickly.

I've been looking at EVs and one thing to check out is the insurance rates..... much higher from what I've seen. I believe this will change once insurance companies get more data on the cost of insuring EVs currently they are keeping rates high to protect themselves. If someone has other info I'd be interested.

I've been looking at EVs and one thing to check out is the insurance rates..... much higher from what I've seen. I believe this will change once insurance companies get more data on the cost of insuring EVs currently they are keeping rates high to protect themselves. If someone has other info I'd be interested.
Did you look at current hybrid models? I,e. A hybrid Avalon vs. a gas model.
briefly, What cars did you compare?

I'd say the interior of my E class MB is nicer. I'm a bit larger than most at 6'3 and like the space in my E class better. Good question
I asked because a friend of mine recently got a pre-owned S, and I was a bit surprised. The interior, the paint quality, etc seem lacking for a $100,000 MSRP vehicle. It's cool as hell, though.

Haven't really shopped a lot, just the Tesla S. I currently drive a MB E-300 that I like a lot. Mom want's a EV.
Ha, I bought a 300E in 1986. It's still my favorite car along with a Lexus GS300. The 300E had antilock brakes when hardly any cars did in the US. So they stopped on a dime, but unfortunately the car behind could not.

Ha, I bought a 300E in 1986. It's still my favorite car along with a Lexus GS300. The 300E had antilock brakes when hardly any cars did in the US. So they stopped on a dime, but unfortunately the car behind could not.

My E300 is a 2018 and it's got a lot of nice features. One that saved my bacon was when a car that was parked in front of a truck pulled out right in front of me, no signal, no lights just quickly pulled right in front of me. My MB gave me a warning signal, tightened my seat belt and hit the brakes, all before I could have.... result no accident. Even parks it's self if you let it.

Also, because of my size I find most Lexus sedans feel like my head is against the roof. Lexus makes nice cars

PTON
I don't short stocks, but Peloton is going to have to modify a whole bunch of treadmills if the video on TV is any indication of an unmodified unit. It's a death trap for children and pets, and possible injury for the user.
The fix might be simple, but it will probably need to be done by a trained person to make sure it is done correctly.
Surely their stock will fall today?
Ha, its been dropping for a month. I don't get Peloton?

Last edited:

When something breaks on my daughter’s EV we just order a part off Amazon.

Attachments

• 234BE108-4322-4E7B-B79D-BD64B82431DA.jpeg
    234BE108-4322-4E7B-B79D-BD64B82431DA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
PTON
I don't short stocks, but Peloton is going to have to modify a whole bunch of treadmills if the video on TV is any indication of an unmodified unit. It's a death trap for children and pets, and possible injury for the user.
The fix might be simple, but it will probably need to be done by a trained person to make sure it is done correctly.
Surely their stock will fall today?
Ha, its been dropping for a month. I don't get Peloton?
How is it different than other treadmills (liability-wise)?

My gut says it has been over-valued for "normal" times anyway.

How is it different than other treadmills (liability-wise)?

My gut says it has been over-valued for "normal" times anyway.
I would not think legal liability is any different. But it appears to be a horrible design.
You can see what at least one model does if you do a search. On an incline the user steps forward and the whole thing tilts forward like a see saw. When user steps back the back lower section goes back to the floor. A child was killed like that. It reminds me of an alligator chomp. Definitely dangerous for pets and children.
You have to wonder how many people will pay $4-5000 for a treadmill. But then I've been thinking that for about the last 100 point increase in the stock price.

Do any of you auto invest per month?

Instead of buying a chunk of a stock, do you break it up by 12 and invest monthly?

Do any of you auto invest per month?

Instead of buying a chunk of a stock, do you break it up by 12 and invest monthly?

I do that for IRAs and any mutual fund investing. For the individual stock account, I auto invest $400 per week into the Etrade account. Usually, that goes to the stock that has been beaten up the most recently.

VN Store

Back