All things STOCKS

If you're into dividends, I just put a big portion of my portfolio in $NLY.

Beaten down by COVID, still hasn't fully recovered, still paying a 10% dividend.

Pretty close, but still has a little room to grow. Looks like it started its drop in January of 2020 when most stocks dropped in March.

That was from it's all time high though. It ranged between roughly $6.50-$10 the 3 years prior to the COVID crash. If you just want something to hold with a nice dividend, it's definitely nice to keep in the portfolio. But I might wait for the next pull back under $8.00

Reactions: Kingston Vol
NLY has negative EPS and a 30% drop in qtrly revenue yoy. The dividend isn’t guaranteed and isn’t sustainable if their income statement doesn’t bounce back to their pre-COVID results.

NLY has negative EPS and a 30% drop in qtrly revenue yoy. The dividend isn’t guaranteed and isn’t sustainable if their income statement doesn’t bounce back to their pre-COVID results.
Right, just kinda betting on a bounce back for them specifically but also the entire sector.

I think the death of commercial real estate has been exaggerated. People will get back to work when the option is made available to them.

Right, just kinda betting on a bounce back for them specifically but also the entire sector.

I think the death of commercial real estate has been exaggerated. People will get back to work when the option is made available to them.

I agree to an extent. While COVID has allowed many companies to send employees home for good, in my area I've also noticed an uptick in people starting up their own home business (likely somewhat in response to the mass layoffs from COVID). For the ones that have viable business plans, they will need commercial real estate once everything returns to normal.

Reactions: Kingston Vol

Mortgage REITs are a whole new level of risky. If you want to play the REIT game, there's plenty of them out there with solid dividends that are less risky. With mortgage REITs, you are banking on real estate valuations and interest rates.

Mortgage REITs are a whole new level of risky. If you want to play the REIT game, there's plenty of them out there with solid dividends that are less risky. With mortgage REITs, you are banking on real estate valuations and interest rates.

I’d prefer self storage REITs, cold storage REITs, last mile warehousing REITs, and possibly apartment REITs. Assisted Living REITs should be good for the long term, but I’d give it time for the coming COVID litigation to be flushed out first. Maybe medical office REITs are smart, but tele-medicine should continue to evolve and make that real estate less in demand. Commercial and office space REITs would only be appealing to me if they were at huge discounts, but I doubt that they are with all of the rallying in the beaten up COVID stocks over the last few months.

Yes, the mortgage REITs might be difficult to value by somebody like me that doesn’t really follow debt and other fixed income investments. I don’t know if rising interest rates are an opportunity or a hindrance to the mortgage REITs.

There is a reason to own money markets. .1 % is better than losing money.
Hopefully you are not a Twitter trader, and taking terrible losses. I have a few of those, but have kept investment dollar amounts small.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back