All things STOCKS

Or USOU for us crazies.

Once China is resolved the high quality Texas oil ought to zoom.

I read somewhere that the US refineries are thirsty for the dirtier, Venezuelan type of oil in order to make more diesel. China wants Texas to blend with the nasty stuff in their refineries.

I haven't owned USO for several years. OIH might be another ETF ready to pop.

Should be a good year for the financials as well as energy, IMO.

Or USOU for us crazies.

I read somewhere that the US refineries are thirsty for the dirtier, Venezuelan type of oil in order to make more diesel. China wants Texas to blend with the nasty stuff in their refineries.

I hope your last sentence holds true.

Or USOU for us crazies.

Very little risk for me, but hey what do I know.

Charts for all things stock market related... very good references. Can compare by year or president.
Stock Market Index Charts and Data | MacroTrends

Thanks for the charts. I had some really great advice given to me the other day about the stock market.(banker ceo)

“Listen to your elders(25+ years experience), you don’t necessarily have to do what they tell you exactly, but make sure you listen.”

In it for the long term. Like 30-40 years.
You will do well if you keep investing, and don't panic sell like aeiou said. Best ways to get rich are the stock market and real estate. There are other ways, but the market doesn't require much knowledge if you invest like you just did. I have 3 Vanguard total equity funds myself.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
You will do well if you keep investing, and don't panic sell like aeiou said. Best ways to get rich are the stock market and real estate. There are other ways, but the market doesn't require much knowledge if you invest like you just did. I have 3 Vanguard total equity funds myself.
I like the safe bets.

I like the safe bets.
Be aware that when you buy more, the price you pay is the closing price of the mutual fund for that day. Whenever you decide to add to it, it is better to buy on a day when the market goes down the tubes. Wait until late in the day to make sure it is in the hole. ETF's are different. Their price goes up and down during the day. Of course, you can always put in an order to buy at a certain price.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Be aware that when you buy more, the price you pay is the closing price of the mutual fund for that day. Whenever you decide to add to it, it is better to buy on a day when the market goes down the tubes. Wait until late in the day to make sure it is in the hole. ETF's are different. Their price goes up and down during the day. Of course, you can always put in an order to buy at a certain price.

I'm confused. VTI is an ETF rather than a traditional mutual fund, no? It trades and is priced throughout the day.

Thunder, you are correct. My mistake. I remembered that symbol was a total market fund, and should have known better with only 3 letters in the symbol. Most of their mutual funds have 5. Anyway, still a great choice and basically the same returns and fees as the mutual fund, but is traded during the day. Thanks for pointing that out.

Big Gucci, forget what I said about when to buy. The price goes up and down during the day with an exchange traded fund.

Last edited:
Thunder, you are correct. My mistake. I remembered that symbol was a total market fund, and should have known better with only 3 letters in the symbol. Most of their mutual funds have 5. Anyway, still a great choice and basically the same returns and fees as the mutual fund, but is traded during the day. Thanks for pointing that out.

Big Gucci, forget what I said about when to buy. The price goes up and down during the day with an exchange traded fund.

It's huge. Funny because Jack Bogle wasn't really a fan of exchange traded securities instead of traditional mutual funds.

Since it's so large the arbitragers probably keep it trading without much of a discount or a premium to the net asset value.

It's huge. Funny because Jack Bogle wasn't really a fan of exchange traded securities instead of traditional mutual funds.

Since it's so large the arbitragers probably keep it trading without much of a discount or a premium to the net asset value.
For a 30-40 year hold, as BGS said, the returns and fees are basically identical though, correct? Both fees are .04%, and returns over time are extremely close.

For a 30-40 year hold, as BGS said, the returns and fees are basically identical though, correct? Both fees are .04%, and returns over time are extremely close.

I don't know how the assets are actually managed. I assume that the investments have to be segregated and I'd think that if either fund shrinks, the fees would rise. So over time I'd expect migration from traditional to exchange traded funds and the ETF fees would be less. But any fund that costs .04% is about as efficient as possible.

Those fees get buried in the disclosure material and the industry silently steals huge portions of returns over time. Wall Street and the federal government are in bed together and average citizens will likely always be ripped off. Which is why I like the equities of Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citi, Bank of America, insurance companies, Blackrock, State Street, T Rowe Price, Schwab, Invesco...

I actually have to give Obama credit for trying to force fiduciary requirements on brokers/advisors. But his execution was tepid. Even the Dems are in bed with the Wall Street insiders. But this is The Pub rather than Politics... so rant over.

VN Store

Back