All things STOCKS

This must be a great day to be a day trader. I have a couple of morning purchases already up 1%-1.5%. I’m holding out for about 3% before ditching Netflix, the leveraged healthcare ETF, and CME.

Crypto: It is what it is. It doesn't matter what people say it is. It is a great means of illustrating how stupid people are, I will say that.

Stocks on the other hand.... I figure this might be a time to buy the right thing, but I always buy too early.

Reactions: tbh and mrorange211
Crypto: It is what it is. It doesn't matter what people say it is. It is a great means of illustrating how stupid people are, I will say that.

Stocks on the other hand.... I figure this might be a time to buy the right thing, but I always buy too early.

I don;t think there is anything really wrong with getting small amount of good companies here. I still suspect there's more downside to go.

the crypto jackasses have only begun to suffer.
If you unluckily bought at $67 and now you're at $23, that's quite a bit of suffering already.

I'm old enough to recall the days when a bitcoin selling point was that it would hold its value, unlike the fiat dollar. Fun times!

I said it in one of the crypto threads. Crypto seems to be the ONLY “investment” that really has no underlying asset whatsoever. Currencies have countries. Stocks and corporate debt have companies. Public debt has government entities. Equity options have the underlying stocks or indexes. Futures have the commodities or equity indexes. Real estate has the property. What does crypto have? It doesn’t even have the coin limits being relevant when there are nearly 10,000 different cryptos that can easily be exchanged for any other.

Reactions: tbh
I said it in one of the crypto threads. Crypto seems to be the ONLY “investment” that really has no underlying asset whatsoever. Currencies have countries. Stocks and corporate debt have companies. Public debt has government entities. Equity options have the underlying stocks or indexes. Futures have the commodities or equity indexes. Real estate has the property. What does crypto have? It doesn’t even have the coin limits being relevant when there are nearly 10,000 different cryptos that can easily be exchanged for any other.

spring-time-tulips.gif

The educated will understand.

Maybe they'll do some cryto buybacks to shore up the price.

Yeah I've not messed with crypto because I still don't understand it's "value." Buddy says there is value in the block chain technology itself. But when you look at the total list of traded cryptos numbering over 10,000 with market cap today of $956 billion.... it sure seems like that technology would be more apparent. And at least with tulip bulbs there was a tangible commodity.

I didn’t mean to imply that I’m not an expert on the delusions of crowds nor the history of financial speculation. Just meant to say that comparing bitcoins to anything which exists is misguided.

Yeah I've not messed with crypto because I still don't understand it's "value." Buddy says there is value in the block chain technology itself. But when you look at the total list of traded cryptos numbering over 10,000 with market cap today of $956 billion.... it sure seems like that technology would be more apparent. And at least with tulip bulbs there was a tangible commodity.
There likely is value in the blockchain...that is different than any particular cryptocurrency having any value.

At this point, it is still totally unclear to me what gives any particular cryptocurrency any value and how its price should behave in response to certain events. Most predominately, bitcoin has been marketed by its fan club as an inflation hedge or needed as a part of your portfolio that is uncorrelated from risk assets, both of which are abjectly false, at least so far. Its price seems to be correlated with the prices of other risk assets, like equities and real estate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange.
Historica IV is ridicuolosly low. I'm a bit bullish rn. My theory is that they are pumping 75 in the news and then will decide on 50 which will cause a bear market rally imo.

Would any of you gurus be willing to advise on some business/money matters. Lot of very smart guys in here. Interested in giving advice?

@Thunder Good-Oil
@05_never_again
@mrorange211
@BigOrangeMojo

Looking for help in making some smart decisions. I run my business well but understand I need to do better in managing money.

The best way to accumulate a nest egg isn't trying to time the market or by buying bitcoin. It is consistently spending less than you make and investing those savings.

If you aren't saving as much as you like, take a look at your monthly expenditures. I bet the real reason will jump out pretty quickly. It may be a car or boat payment, eating out too much, too many clothes, too many vacations, or an expensive hobby. Sometimes the reason you aren't saving is a legitimate one (i.e. health issues) but about 95% of the time, it's a spending or income issue.

Once you do that and pay off any high interest debt (if any), save up a small emergency fund, and then start saving with tax-advantaged vehicles. That may be 401(k) for any W-2 income and a SEP or SIMPLE IRA if you own your own business. Contributing to a Roth IRA can be done as well. There are some income limits but your accountant should be able to look at your specific fact pattern and determine what's the best for you.

If you are investing, I would recommend 4* and 5* Morningstar rated mutual funds from a low cost provider (Fidelity, Vanguard, T Rowe Price, Schwab).

The best way to accumulate a nest egg isn't trying to time the market or by buying bitcoin. It is consistently spending less than you make and investing those savings.

If you aren't saving as much as you like, take a look at your monthly expenditures. I bet the real reason will jump out pretty quickly. It may be a car or boat payment, eating out too much, too many clothes, too many vacations, or an expensive hobby. Sometimes the reason you aren't saving is a legitimate one (i.e. health issues) but about 95% of the time, it's a spending or income issue.

Once you do that and pay off any high interest debt (if any), save up a small emergency fund, and then start saving with tax-advantaged vehicles. That may be 401(k) for any W-2 income and a SEP or SIMPLE IRA if you own your own business. Contributing to a Roth IRA can be done as well. There are some income limits but your accountant should be able to look at your specific fact pattern and determine what's the best for you.

If you are investing, I would recommend 4* and 5* Morningstar rated mutual funds from a low cost provider (Fidelity, Vanguard, T Rowe Price, Schwab).
Sounds like you should have a radio show!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back