All things STOCKS

What sort of investor are you looking to be? Traditionally, long term investors into a company tend to fair much better since most stocks will go up given enough time. But if you know what you are doing, you can do well swing trading as long as you stick you a good plan and know when to get in and when to get out.

Support and Resistance levels are good terms to become familiar with if you're going to be an active investor. Don't just blindly enter a stock because you might like the company. Look for good entry points by checking for patterns, channels, and candlestick formations. Stocks love to bounce off of previous support levels

It may sound like common sense, but you never want to buy high and sell low. Don't get discouraged if the stock you're in drops. Again, if you've done research on a company and believe in their business and are a long term investor, then a drop in price is just noise and in all likelihood, you will see green eventually.

In general, most ETFs/index funds pay nice dividends, tend to be fairly safe investments compared to other stocks, and tend to beat the overall market performance. So if you're looking for a "set it and forget it" type of investment, ETFs can be your friend.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I’m going to look into the links provided and learn these new terms.

I’m at the bottom of the pole so I’m just purchasing fractional shares and diversifying at the moment. We don’t have much to invest, but most beginnings are small. We hope to be consistent

The best advice I've received is expect zero. If you expect every position to go to zero, you keep them small and learn more of what kind of trader you want to be without losing or gaining too much. Ignore all the YOLO $hit.

Anybody still holding NNOX? I got stuck holding the bag, so I just refused to sell. holy cow. It was 60 just after FDA approval, so it's got a ways to go.

Anybody still holding NNOX? I got stuck holding the bag, so I just refused to sell. holy cow. It was 60 just after FDA approval, so it's got a ways to go.

I like NNOX potential a lot but the mgmt has to get outta the way. They are a mess up top.

On $MOS: i'd wait to buy until around $29. The drought out West should help push it back up to $35 by end of July imo.

I am definitely going to buy more MOS as I get money freed up from this other trash I keep doing. PE 12, why not.

Also, I don't know how we look at CLOV now that it bounced off some sort of support; it seems financially like a pile of trash to me, but I may be missing something. It's highly manipulated of course by WSB, and the option chain is pretty highly saturated. I guess maybe it's just gambling.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I’m going to look into the links provided and learn these new terms.

I’m at the bottom of the pole so I’m just purchasing fractional shares and diversifying at the moment. We don’t have much to invest, but most beginnings are small. We hope to be consistent

An easy way to start accumulating a nest egg is an app similar to acorns. It rounds up your purchases to the next dollar and invests the spare change. When you have a wife like mine, that adds up quickly. There’s also “found money.” Just ordering through a link on the app will get you ~3% back on purchases at a lot of places we frequent. I also have it set up to do a $10 weekly recurring investment into each of our acorns account.

In one year, that has resulted in $1500. They are projecting each of us to have 70k in our accounts by age 60.

An easy way to start accumulating a nest egg is an app similar to acorns. It rounds up your purchases to the next dollar and invests the spare change. When you have a wife like mine, that adds up quickly. There’s also “found money.” Just ordering through a link on the app will get you ~3% back on purchases at a lot of places we frequent. I also have it set up to do a $10 weekly recurring investment into each of our acorns account.

In one year, that has resulted in $1500. They are projecting each of us to have 70k in our accounts by age 60.

My only problem here are the fees that mostly take the profit out of your equation. Independently, saved money like this could get you a better return in a ROTH or Mutual Fund. The APP is selling the ease in which to invest of course, but you are paying for that service in the LT>

Reactions: Go aeiou
My only problem here are the fees that mostly take the profit out of your equation. Independently, saved money like this could get you a better return in a ROTH or Mutual Fund. The APP is selling the ease in which to invest of course, but you are paying for that service in the LT>

Maybe there are fees I don’t know about, but I pay $1/month I think. And that may just be because I got their debit card.

I was on the Schwab app last night in a long time. I didn’t explore it, but they had a fractional shares program.

A Roth IRA is an excellent idea to wrap around an account. That money will never be taxed again.

Also, anybody that has a job with a 401-k offered that has a company match should max out their contributions there before investing anywhere else. An exception could be made if wanting to open an account elsewhere with more investment options to learn how it all works, but as far as investing to grow wealth always take as much company match in a 401-k that employers offer.

Might be a good time to get in on SPYD if you're looking for a high-dividend ETF. It's currently testing the SMA 50. If it closes below the SMA 50, I'm expecting it to drop to around $38.87.

I don't mind weathering the storm if it doesn't bounce today, so I took a strong position today in my long-term portfolio.

Might be a good time to get in on SPYD if you're looking for a high-dividend ETF. It's currently testing the SMA 50. If it closes below the SMA 50, I'm expecting it to drop to around $38.87.

I don't mind weathering the storm if it doesn't bounce today, so I took a strong position today in my long-term portfolio.
1623947497711.png

Also, I don't know how we look at CLOV now that it bounced off some sort of support; it seems financially like a pile of trash to me, but I may be missing something. It's highly manipulated of course by WSB, and the option chain is pretty highly saturated. I guess maybe it's just gambling.

NNOX has some potential here if it breaks 30.50. This thing could squeeze pretty good today and tomorrow.

This is all in good fun here.

Just so you were warned, just keep in mind here that I started working 35 years ago and if I put $1 in my 401k and invested in a low priced S&P500 mutual fund, that dollar today is $35. so 35X in 35 years. When you are accumulating, working, you should in my opinion make these basic decisions:
1. I will not spend all my money
2. I will take advantage of tax-advantaged retirement space like my 401k
3. The core of my assets will be low cost mutual funds that I intend to hang onto for a really long time
4. I will continue piling in the money especially when the market is "down" and times are bad. With a smile if possible.

That's what I think. For me this is play money what we talk about here.

I have two really interesting websites to suggest. The first is portfoliovisualizer.com; You can put in any mutual fund or stock and it'll graph it, and you can pick a mixture of funds and compare different strategies to rebalance. You can test basic asset classes of a very wide variety. You can even do market timing in there and see how that turns out. It will do a lot for free, and it'll do more if you pay.

The second is portfoliocharts.com; The guy who created it compares a lot of "famous" portfolios, all based on categories of assets, and he has invented various metrics to compare them. he's a good writer and has a lot of interesting perspectives. however, some of his metrics are hard to understand. Don't worry about it if it comes across as a dogs breakfast of charts. It's been interesting to me just to be able to go somewhere and see all these famous portfolios. He invented a couple that are on there. This website is adjustable. You can make his charts using your own portfolio. His dataset is basically 1971-now so it's not like 100 years of data.

I was reviewing an old account last night that I haven’t touched for a while. For whatever reason, the mutual funds that I’ve owned for a long time are complete dogs. The ETFs on the other hand have been doing great. Maybe it’s distorted though as mutual funds tend to have annual payouts to investors and the broker’s website ignores that when calculating returns.

The mental part of investing is most likely the biggest difference between those that do very well and those that do not. It is not easy for most people to see good returns and to then resist the urge to go spend their gains and depreciating assets or things that do not retain value.

It’s not unusual for $100 that stays invested for 30 or 40 years to grow to $25,000 or more. Compound growth is an amazing thing. Unfortunately my great, great grandfather bought a bunch of stock in various gold companies that all went bankrupt instead of buying those in the DJIA. The worthless stock certificates aren’t even very attractive.

$ALK just announced they're adding more routes. Also, Washington and Cali re-opening is probably more important to $ALK than any other airline.

Analysts seem to be more bullish on $ALK and $SAVE than any other domestic airline.

I was thinking about getting back into SAVE also. All this (airline) stuff is heading down, so at some point there could be a decent entry.

I was reviewing an old account last night that I haven’t touched for a while. For whatever reason, the mutual funds that I’ve owned for a long time are complete dogs. The ETFs on the other hand have been doing great. Maybe it’s distorted though as mutual funds tend to have annual payouts to investors and the broker’s website ignores that when calculating returns.

The mental part of investing is most likely the biggest difference between those that do very well and those that do not. It is not easy for most people to see good returns and to then resist the urge to go spend their gains and depreciating assets or things that do not retain value.

It’s not unusual for $100 that stays invested for 30 or 40 years to grow to $25,000 or more. Compound growth is an amazing thing. Unfortunately my great, great grandfather bought a bunch of stock in various gold companies that all went bankrupt instead of buying those in the DJIA. The worthless stock certificates aren’t even very attractive.

I suspect had those MF dividends been reinvested the two return comparisons would be similar?
Did you know your Great great grandfather? Hopefully he was better diversified than just gold stocks.

I suspect had those MF dividends been reinvested the two return comparisons would be similar?
Did you know your Great great grandfather? Hopefully he was better diversified than just gold stocks.

No, I’ve only known 2 of my grandparents and no relatives further back than “Moms and Pops”. Mom showed me the old stock certificates. There was little regulation protecting the public from Wall Street criminals 120 years ago.

Yes, I think that annual cap gains distributions from the mutual funds have skewed the published returns. The ETFs don’t take that annual haircut. I’m still planning to liquidate most of the mutual funds though. Might hang on to some of the bigger fund family names (Janus). They’re dinosaurs. Most look like they’ve been passed around by various fund entities as well. I saw a couple that are now only available for institutional investors. I’m sure they’d like me to ditch my small investment. I might keep a single share and make them keep mailing me reports.

Not sure who mentioned $GENI, but looks like the 10 SMA is bouncing off the 100 SMA, just like it has the previous 2 times. If continues along it's trend, it could see ~$25 in the next month. I'll probably add some tomorrow on any dips.

Granted the last two times it bounced it had catalysts behind them. But still, at least 30% upside here if it holds up.

Last edited:
w75nDBqJ.png

What sort of investor are you looking to be? Traditionally, long term investors into a company tend to fair much better since most stocks will go up given enough time. But if you know what you are doing, you can do well swing trading as long as you stick you a good plan and know when to get in and when to get out.

Support and Resistance levels are good terms to become familiar with if you're going to be an active investor. Don't just blindly enter a stock because you might like the company. Look for good entry points by checking for patterns, channels, and candlestick formations. Stocks love to bounce off of previous support levels

It may sound like common sense, but you never want to buy high and sell low. Don't get discouraged if the stock you're in drops. Again, if you've done research on a company and believe in their business and are a long term investor, then a drop in price is just noise and in all likelihood, you will see green eventually.

In general, most ETFs/index funds pay nice dividends, tend to be fairly safe investments compared to other stocks, and tend to beat the overall market performance. So if you're looking for a "set it and forget it" type of investment, ETFs can be your friend.
Definitely long term to begin with. As I accumulate more knowledge I may take more risk and try to turn things quicker but I’m very content to let my money develop over time

Reactions: Carp

VN Store

Back