All things fishing thread

Fished the Clinch this morning. Generator schedule was all jacked up, couple that with the full moon last night, no bueno.

Cool. With your haul of crappie, I thought it might have been a single species menu.
Crappie will be the most, but we'll have some bass, catfish, and gar also. Along with hamburgers and hot dogs for folks who don't like fish.

Reactions: Tin Man
Sight fished for & landed some tank Buffalo in the Little Pigeon yesterday. They put a nice bend in the ole 6 weight fly rod. Absolute freight trains.

Attachments

• 2A13DADB-B674-4831-BA43-275219126F36.jpeg
    2A13DADB-B674-4831-BA43-275219126F36.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • BD16C541-4ACF-4997-BCFF-B09690952459.jpeg
    BD16C541-4ACF-4997-BCFF-B09690952459.jpeg
    923.4 KB · Views: 25
Hey Joe Vol. I live in Johns Creek Roswell area. Do you know much about the fishing on this side of Lanier? I’m looking for some places to take my kids. We’ve tried a few ponds around the area but it’s hit or miss. I grew up fishing on the TN river so the Hooche seems alien to me. Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen.
Finally remembered to ask my buddy. He said aqualand marina was the one he was familiar with below Gainesville, but there was goid fishing.

I bought a 14 ft aluminum with an 8 horse mercury on it. Gave up trying to find any bank fishing around here. On the Hooch above Morgan falls dam there’s some nice large mouth and sour of it has some nice stripes.

Reactions: joevol33
Umpqua_River_steelhead__another_wild__Todd_Harrington_.jpg
1592053782689.jpeg
dIMi-Ope7JdqhgPUk0K1Zmgp3i8oPsSv3614dxSJceNIPxK0u-1UbABSx-F978OESqBpK3bMJdpxwACj98hKfzvrSJtcSgbcqZ-1bjpKtZKOalBCCQXx1luFwJvs1jtc

Little sample of a few fish from Oregon. Steely (Steelhead on left, Sturgeon Center, and a Rainbow on a fly. I'm mostly a Rainbow flyfisher. My son-in-law is more of a Sturgeon fisher. And it's hard to beat the fight of a Steely!! Had one on my trout rod for about 20 seconds, longest 20 seconds I can imagine. Damn thing ran right at me, loosening the line then went airborne about 10 feet from me flipped his head and tossed my fly. I fish barbless for release purposes. Damn that was a fun 20 seconds... With witnesses... They said it was about a 5 pounder.

Love flyfishing clear cold rivers.

Little sample of a few fish from Oregon. Steely (Steelhead on left, Sturgeon Center, and a Rainbow on a fly. I'm mostly a Rainbow flyfisher. My son-in-law is more of a Sturgeon fisher. And it's hard to beat the fight of a Steely!! Had one on my trout rod for about 20 seconds, longest 20 seconds I can imagine. Damn thing ran right at me, loosening the line then went airborne about 10 feet from me flipped his head and tossed my fly. I fish barbless for release purposes. Damn that was a fun 20 seconds... With witnesses... They said it was about a 5 pounder.

Holy hot sauce. Nice fish

You'll love this the legal size limit on sturgeon is minimum length 40" max length 60". Yea, they get big.... I believe the largest was around 11 feet and about 500# I could be wrong on that, but that's what I remember.
View attachment 286427
We went to Idaho to visit my daughter ladt year. I talked to someone there who fished snake river, and caught those things. I want to try it!

We went to Idaho to visit my daughter ladt year. I talked to someone there who fished snake river, and caught those things. I want to try it!

Idaho has some great fishing. Did a 6 day guided fly fishing trip down the Middle fork of the Salmon River several years back. Put in near Stanley ID. It's a wild and scenic area. Everything you haul in has to come out with you right down to the porta-potty. Turned out we had Mike Nolan who at that time was the head coach of the 49ers and his family on the trip with us. I think he's defensive coordinator for the Cowboys now. They were great, his kids and wife were just really wonderful to be around.

By the way, Sturgeon are great at the dinner table....

We did the same in February we went skiing up on the north of Boise. Also, we went to Payette Lake in McCall that I want to go back to and fish before they leave.

I've wanted to float the Swan for smallies. A buddy of mine works for the state and does stream surveys. He saw it and said it looked promising.

Have you ever fished the Piney river? Yellow creek?
Fished yellow creek 25 years ago with some cousins, used crawdads, caught rock bass and smallmouth.

Father's day was awesome. Fished offshore (OBX) with my regular group of fishing buddies. No, no masks.

Left dock at 4:45. Beautiful weather. Light winds. Seas calm. 75 degrees.

Set lines at 7:15. Didn't get touched until 11:30. First hit was a very large mako. Jumped once about 50 yards behind boat. Estimated 250 lbs+. Then took off, bit through mono leader after 5-10 minute fight.

Noon hooked up with 3 yellowfin. Landed 2. 40-45# class. My numb forearm afterwards a reminder that my desk job ain't no workout.

1 o'clockish another mako. Smaller, maybe 5 footer. Hit flatline, threw hook, hit shotgun, missed it, I let line freespool, it came back, hooked up, then bit through mono again.

2 o'clock hooked up decent white marlin, and our 21 year old resident pro landed and released it.

Back to dock, happy crew, rum punch, dressed tunas, dinner for crew tonight.

I've got a pretty cool video of the reel screaming on the big mako hookup, but not sure how to transfer it to my computer as the file is to big. Anyone?

20200621_114707.jpg

Father's day was awesome. Fished offshore (OBX) with my regular group of fishing buddies. No, no masks.

Set lines at 7:15. Didn't get touched until 11:30. First hit was a very large mako. Jumped once about 50 yards behind boat. Estimated 250 lbs+. Then took off, bit through mono leader after 5-10 minute fight.

Noon hooked up with 3 yellowfin. Landed 2. 40-45# class. My numb forearm afterwards a reminder that my desk job ain't no workout.

1 o'clockish another mako. Smaller, maybe 5 footer. Hit flatline, threw hook, hit shotgun, missed it, I let line freespool, it came back, hooked up, then bit through mono again.

2 o'clock hooked up decent white marlin, and our 21 year old resident pro landed and released it.

I've got a pretty cool video of the reel screaming on the big mako hookup, but not sure how to transfer it to my computer as the file is to big. Anyone?

View attachment 288210
Sounds like a blast!

Reactions: MontyPython

View attachment 288210
One of these days I will land a yellowfin on a fly rod.

Umpqua_River_steelhead__another_wild__Todd_Harrington_.jpg
View attachment 286425
dIMi-Ope7JdqhgPUk0K1Zmgp3i8oPsSv3614dxSJceNIPxK0u-1UbABSx-F978OESqBpK3bMJdpxwACj98hKfzvrSJtcSgbcqZ-1bjpKtZKOalBCCQXx1luFwJvs1jtc

like fly fishing. clear, tanic lakes\rivers, so long as they arent cold.

VN Store

Back