All things fishing thread

You get use to it. And no I'm not going in deeper than above the knees for very long....LOL The McKenzie is gin clear and beautiful with a number of 3+ to 4 rapids for a little whitewater fun along the way.
Bnd4yXcRGXqFTldE0FSLjio3WaoCZyU7dJhI3YmbBxe_zdAN3wwmydYhPL5xNEWKbyRbIrqH9_CXpzEXqMBPw8tsY5bz4kN6oqBXklTkVRWhoDhswMmYvvK8qttD
Looks beautiful....

I’ll fish anywhere from the dam down to the Betty’s Island access area. We fish for trout in general and catch mostly rainbows with occasional browns and brookies
I've run into several people there that only fish for the large browns. Most used what looked like a short version of the original rapala lure.
We usually park behind the rest area and go upstream walking.

I've run into several people there that only fish for the large browns. Most used what looked like a short version of the original rapala lure.
We usually park behind the rest area and go upstream walking.
There are some pretty good holes up that way. I saw an old timer sitting in a lawn chair fishing with minnows catch two big fat browns a while back. He was at the very upper end of the gravel bar closest to the interstate bridge.

I went deep sea fishing for red snappers today. First fish in the boat was a big trigger fish.... out of season so back in he went.... then a lane snapper... a black snapper..... a big Bonita ..... then a BIG cobia... great fight...... then the sharks showed up.... we hooked a total of seven.....several that attacked our fish as we were reeling them in and becoming hooked. I fought one for nearly 30 minutes on light tackle..... it nearly spooled me, but I managed to get it back to the boat.... almost....the guide caught a glimpse and estimated it was around 400 lbs.... this was right before the line snapped. I couldn’t believe the power it had.

Last edited:
Looks beautiful....

It is... And just to the left of that raft and about 15 feet behind them is a hidden rock that will mess up the bottom of a hard bottomed boat and or spin a raft at the wrong time making for an unwanted swim and lost gear. I always tie my gear down before going through. They are very much in the right channel for Martins... I've seem Martins launch a kayak vertical in there sending about half the boat out of the water.

In my opinion, Martin's is a rapid that's best run fast. And one day I was in the chute accelerating and a Kayak came out from the side to surf the waves and I had to hit the brakes or run over him. Still obviously pissed about that guy. Working on setting up a family trip through there in a couple weeks. At the age of 73 I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to get to row that river.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
It is... And just to the left of that raft and about 15 feet behind them is a hidden rock that will mess up the bottom of a hard bottomed boat and or spin a raft at the wrong time making for an unwanted swim and lost gear. I always tie my gear down before going through. They are very much in the right channel for Martins... I've seem Martins launch a kayak vertical in there sending about half the boat out of the water.

In my opinion, Martin's is a rapid that's best run fast. And one day I was in the chute accelerating and a Kayak came out from the side to surf the waves and I had to hit the brakes or run over him. Still obviously pissed about that guy. Working on setting up a family trip through there in a couple weeks. At the age of 73 I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to get to row that river.

Wow, you wear a helmet on those rapids?
I've been flipped upside down on 3-4 ft waterfall. One of the chambers had lost some air and the raft just folded up. That was 40 years ago though. No desire to raft any more at 68.

I've been flipped upside down on 3-4 ft waterfall. One of the chambers had lost some air and the raft just folded up. That was 40 years ago though. No desire to raft any more at 68.

Raft technology has improved over the last 40 years. My last raft was a 14' self bailing, 7 chamber raft with a rowing frame. I bought it slightly used for $3200. It was a serious white water raft. Those rafts that people were using 40 years ago tended to have maybe 2 or 4 chambers and weren't self bailing.... Much safer now.

I don't wear a helmet or require them in there. I do require that everything is stored and secure and that life jackets are properly fitted and people know what to do if they go for a swim. I've never had a swimmer in over 40 years of rowing..

I'll admit in the early 80s I was a passenger on a boat that flipped, broke two fingers, not a fun trip given I was on the river for another hour before a two hour drive out to the hospital. Wasn't really in much pain just kept my hand in the cold water.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Raft technology has improved over the last 40 years. My last raft was a 14' self bailing, 7 chamber raft with a rowing frame. I bought it slightly used for $3200. It was a serious white water raft. Those rafts that people were using 40 years ago tended to have maybe 2 or 4 chambers and weren't self bailing.... Much safer now.

I thought that would be the case. We bought ours used from one of the outfitters on the Ocoee. We used it only for rivers in the east.
It was fun, but I can't imagine doing it today. Glad you are still able to enjoy yours.

I recall a family member being approached about a civil matter in which a girl got her foot impinged on a rock >2 ft water. flow wasnt a factor, was just a freak thing.

They turned the case down. Close toed shoes, helmet, and good knife.

I recall a family member being approached about a civil matter in which a girl got her foot impinged on a rock >2 ft water. flow wasnt a factor, was just a freak thing.

They turned the case down. Close toed shoes, helmet, and good knife.

Sevreal people have died on the Ocoee. Sad.

I know there's some fly fisherman on here and thought this was funny.

Fly Fishing is for Golfers | Field Ethos
No. It isnt.

Double haul cast standing in water waist deep, perfect side cast underneath brush to land that gurgler. Smack! 18" Smallmouth in 1.8 flow on 9 ft 5wt TFO doubled over. Strength of a hand tied leader, pulls him in.

Best part of a golf course are the ponds...

I ****ing hate golf.

PS, the article was funny. I do abhor golf for ita hoity toitiness.

First for me today. Caught this beautiful 23” toothy Walleye fly fishing the Hiwassee River for Stripers. Been fishing that river my whole life, and this is the first one of these guys I have caught. Pretty awesome!

Attachments

• E6AE81E4-CBB4-4800-88EE-45D6264AEAA8.jpeg
    E6AE81E4-CBB4-4800-88EE-45D6264AEAA8.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 27
First for me today. Caught this beautiful 23” toothy Walleye fly fishing the Hiwassee River for Stripers. Been fishing that river my whole life, and this is the first one of these guys I have caught. Pretty awesome!
That's some good eating

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Didn’t even balance your rod on your shoulders. Sad!

Reactions: TheBigOne10
Pray for me, starting tonight I'm going to be teaching my scouts their fishing and fly fishing merit badges. About 1/3 my troop has no or almost no fishing experience, and no one but me has ever picked up a fly rod. I'm sure this will be some work, but it should be fun too.

VN Store

Back