All things fishing thread

Pray for me, starting tonight I'm going to be teaching my scouts their fishing and fly fishing merit badges. About 1/3 my troop has no or almost no fishing experience, and no one but me has ever picked up a fly rod. I'm sure this will be some work, but it should be fun too.

Regular fishing isn't too hard but fly casting and line management is tricky. I'll pray for no wind wherever you are as even after years of experience I don't much care for tossing flies on a windy day.

Yeah fly fishing is a little more technical. I'm pretty much a self taught amateur at it. I can do ok with warm water species like brim/bass on a pond, but never had any luck on streams for trout.

Yeah fly fishing is a little more technical. I'm pretty much a self taught amateur at it. I can do ok with warm water species like brim/bass on a pond, but never had any luck on streams for trout.
Trout fish is pretty big around here where I live, lots of fly fishing. I've never tried it though, just use a spinning reel.

Once you've got the casting down well enough it's what to throw and when. See if there's anywhere near you that stocks trout and try to run down the best things to throw and when.

Trout fish is pretty big around here where I live, lots of fly fishing. I've never tried it though, just use a spinning reel.

I just enjoy the "process" of fly fishing more and sometimes it's absolutely the best way to catch fish. Having said that I'm not at all averse to using "gear" and the last nice trout I caught (22" bow) was on a spinning rig. If it's windy at all I'll be spinning just to avoid the frustration.

Last edited:

Been flyfishing dry flys barbless for trout on rivers for about 40 + years... Love it!!

Nothing like a big redside coming out of the water after your caddis.

I will say one of the worst days (not that their is ever a bad day when flyfishing) I've had flyfishing, I was having no luck, it was hot and I think I'd seen one small strike all day. As we're floating down the river, I spotted an Osprey circling about 150 yards down stream. That son of a B had a bead on a fish. He folded his wings dove in the river was under for a couple seconds and came out with about a 10" trout in his claws. It was a battle between the two, the trout literally fighting for it's life and the Osprey trying to get altitude to above the trees where he could get more of the wind for lift. The trout lost that one and I didn't catch anything all day.

I sense something... flies snapping off tippets.

LOL that's usually a bad back cast or wind. Now if you lose a fly about 15 up in a tree behind you, you probably had a good back cast.... Just not in the right place. Roll cast in tight quarters....... !!

Lol as long as I don't wind up with any new piercings. I think it will be fun we're gonna spend the next few weeks meetings doing the learning/ book work, and then we have a fishing trip planned at the end of the month.

LOL Good story on this one... Down on the N. Umpqua ( a pretty well known Steelhead river near me) a guy cast a #8 Stone fly and on his back cast the fly pierced his nose (this was a fly with a barb). Dead center he had this great big fly stuck in his nose and the feathers were wide enough he literally couldn't see to drive. His buddy drove him to the Roseburg hospital. Let's say he was in some pain and it's about a 30-40 min drive. Once at the hospital the attending doc was also a fly fisherman ( not uncommon in this area) laughed and said no problem, watch this.... He took a piece of thread, slipped it though the shank of the fly, pulled down slightly and slide the hook out of his nose.... Good lesson for all of us with way ward back casts.....

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
The Piney river is a good one. Here’s a link to a company that has shuttle service and rentals

Pinewood Canoe & Camp
ive never done the Buffalo, but have friends that really liked it.
Good float but horrible fishing during the busy season. The piney has some really good fishing but you have to get off he commercial area. The Harpeth past the park and take out on cedar Hill road all the way to Ashland city has some great fishing.my favorite place within an hour west of Nashville is big swan creek. Awesome float and fishing!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Good float but horrible fishing during the busy season. The piney has some really good fishing but you have to get off he commercial area. The Harpeth past the park and take out on cedar Hill road all the way to Ashland city has some great fishing.my favorite place within an hour west of Nashville is big swan creek. Awesome float and fishing!
I’ve heard the Big Swan is nice, but I have no idea where to put in and take out. I may see if a buddy wants to do the stretch of the Harpeth you mentioned. Are you talking about putting in where all the rental companies take out?

I’ve heard the Big Swan is nice, but I have no idea where to put in and take out. I may see if a buddy wants to do the stretch of the Harpeth you mentioned. Are you talking about putting in where all the rental companies take out?
Yes sir. You can float all the way to hwy 49 but it’s a long long day float. You can take out at stringfeloow road or petway road and walk up the bridge embankments. I’ve never had any issues as the bridges are government.
Swan creek you almost have to know some one to get on it. You could put in at a small church with a huge gravel bar that people camp on. Then float down to the duck river.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Anyone know where to find some good sinkers & bullet sinkers? Me & my buddy haven’t had much luck nearby to us in the Corryton/Halls area. Most places are out right here in North Knox. I’m going to Bass Pro and Academy tonight, but was hoping for some ideas that may be closer by right now

Anyone know where to find some good sinkers & bullet sinkers? Me & my buddy haven’t had much luck nearby to us in the Corryton/Halls area. Most places are out right here in North Knox. I’m going to Bass Pro and Academy tonight, but was hoping for some ideas that may be closer by right now
Let us know what you find out.

The Academy’s I’ve been in around Nashville look like they’ve been looted..... Bass Pro wasn’t as bad, but was similar. It’s easy to see how much crap comes from China

It's the same way here in Georgia. I found some in Florida while on vacation and bought some.

call local bait shop bru. bound to be somebody that makes their own sinkers.

All lakes around theres Mom and Pops everywhere.

Bait shop at beach is loaded with em. And if that dont work, hardware store.

VN Store

Back