All Beck related discussions from last night (merged)

I agree it wasn’t necessary and was excessive and kids don’t need to see it but I wonder how many saw it live; at least at the game. Can’t say what it looked like on TV but I was there just past 1st and didn’t know anything about it until after the game. Most are watching the ball and then eyes go to the plate/other base runners.
This is true, but you know ESPN is gonna air it and highlight it. It is what it is at this point. Just hope we have a little more containment going forward. That's all.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Find it strange all the outrage about beck but no one minds that GT pitcher had BAMF literally stitched into his glove.
I can't believe this is the first one to respond this. When they kept showing his glove, I'm thinking how do you get by with having that stitched into your glove on national tv throughout a season. Or the slogan at Georgia Southern being posted on everything. Not a fan of what Beck did but as I told someone this morning these are good guys at heart. Heat of the moment. Mine has gotten trashed for his Let's Go last year against Florida but it was the culmination of a tough game. He showed intensity and not aimed at anyone. I don't know that any of us truly know what caused Beck to do it or even who it was directed at unless he has said something I've not seen. The average fan cannot imagine the things that are said from dugout to dugout and player to player in almost every game. I don't have a bit of a problem with bat flips unless you do it at the other team or bench. Not my thing but I understand today's culture is different. I've not seen one of ours do it at another bench which is what happened with Auburn. I'm sure the so called alumni have no problem with using FU which to me is worse than the middle finger but it's the culture we live in. Don't really care for either but that is me.

Arkansas Folks were tweeting (seriously) yesterday that ncaa needed to step in because…. Wait for it….. “young kids are watching and they will flip their bats too, and someone is going to get hit and suffer brain damage.” 🤣
How do you diagnose brain damage in Arkansas?

I can't believe this is the first one to respond this. When they kept showing his glove, I'm thinking how do you get by with having that stitched into your glove on national tv throughout a season. Or the slogan at Georgia Southern being posted on everything. Not a fan of what Beck did but as I told someone this morning these are good guys at heart. Heat of the moment. Mine has gotten trashed for his Let's Go last year against Florida but it was the culmination of a tough game. He showed intensity and not aimed at anyone. I don't know that any of us truly know what caused Beck to do it or even who it was directed at unless he has said something I've not seen. The average fan cannot imagine the things that are said from dugout to dugout and player to player in almost every game. I don't have a bit of a problem with bat flips unless you do it at the other team or bench. Not my thing but I understand today's culture is different. I've not seen one of ours do it at another bench which is what happened with Auburn. I'm sure the so called alumni have no problem with using FU which to me is worse than the middle finger but it's the culture we live in. Don't really care for either but that is me.
As long as you keep family out of it and trash talk directed at me, I can handle whatever is said or done. This is just a “move it along” situation imo.

All these self righteous posters commenting about Beck have never done the same while driving? It took place in the emotion of the moment!

Reactions: 9296potsguy
This reads like a unnecessarily elaborate version of you saying, "I disagree with you". That's fine. It doesn't change my opinion. Calling it the moral high ground, though, is laughable, as if I'm supposed to take offense to you pointing out my supposed level of morality. Using your standard, essentially no one is above reproach, and there is no wrong.

I'm sure we'd find you here pounding the table in support for GT catcher, Kevin Parada, if he had flipped off Drew Gilbert in CF.

Simply need to establish if Beck initiated the behavior or if it was in response to a specific action by GT. Won't make it a worthwhile action but might make it more acceptable. It is not like he has done similar things to any other opponents this year. Two wrongs don't make a right, but neither does assuming there is no offsetting wrong without running the situation to ground.

Shocklngly predictable responses. You don't flip off an opponent--that is bush league and terrible sportsmanship, period. We take things too far at times.
Glibert's 15-foot-high bat flip last night was also too much--disrespectful. Sure, flip your bat--but you don't flip it 15-feet in the air.
Why flip a bat if you aren’t going to give it 100%?

Reactions: txbo
I think it’s time for us old guys to accept that we live in a different time from when we were growing up. The music and language is different and we need to stop comparing things from when we were younger. These are good kids, give them a break.

Last edited:
I have no issue with us being hated. I think these kids are just having fun, they're winning a lot, and other teams don't like it. We don't like that Alabama has won 6 national titles in football in the last 12 years.

The same people defending Beck would be outraged over Bryce Young shooting Jeremy Banks the finger after throwing a TD pass. It's just a double standard, and then you have posters villainizing anyone calling out that fact. People don't have to like that Beck did it, and people don't have to like the fact that some of our fans take exception with it. It's just a difference of opinion. I'd just expect that same group of people to hold tight to that same standard when the shoe (bird) is on the other foot (hand).

Question, what was your take on Grant taunting UF with the Gator chop after the win in Gainesville three years ago? Classless isn't a term I ever think of associating with Grant but it was essentially the same message delivered in the same way. Both got "caught up in the heat of the moment" and did something they probably wouldn't have done outside the arena of competition.

To me, that's the problem with the antiseptic argument that individuals shouldn't get caught up in their emotions during an emotional competition, these kinds will happen occasionally. That they happen doesn't make them right. But I take issue with our team's "antics" being highlighted while other "acceptable" forms of baseball gamesmanship are condoned. I don't care for the strutting, bat flipping, bird flipping or the goofy second base celebration; but they aren't any more immature or morally deficient than players cussing each other from the dugout, bean-balls, charging the mound, verbal or other taunting in the basepath. Those are considered "part of the game" because they are traditional and considered more subtle, but they aren't really any different.

I disagree with our fans who promote this kind of behavior but I also disagree with highlighting and griping about it to create controversy and division within the fan base. Just my personal take: let CTV and Jordan's parents deal with it. We as fans can focus on the Super Regional and being parents/guardians that actually teach our kids what is (and is not) acceptable behavior in competition rather than allowing amateur or professional athletes to have more influence than we do.

As long as you keep family out of it and trash talk directed at me, I can handle whatever is said or done. This is just a “move it along” situation imo.

I always heard that grandmothers and disabled family members were the only ones off-limits in trash talk. :)

Question, what was your take on Grant taunting UF with the Gator chop after the win in Gainesville three years ago? Classless isn't a term I ever think of associating with Grant but it was essentially the same message delivered in the same way. Both got "caught up in the heat of the moment" and did something they probably wouldn't have done outside the arena of competition.

Admiral made him do it! Bad influence!

To me, that's the problem with the antiseptic argument that individuals shouldn't get caught up in their emotions during an emotional competition, these kinds will happen occasionally. That they happen doesn't make them right. But I take issue with our team's "antics" being highlighted while other "acceptable" forms of baseball gamesmanship are condoned. I don't care for the strutting, bat flipping, bird flipping or the goofy second base celebration; but they aren't any more immature or morally deficient than players cussing each other from the dugout, bean-balls, charging the mound, verbal or other taunting in the basepath. Those are considered "part of the game" because they are traditional and considered more subtle, but they aren't really any different.

I disagree with our fans who promote this kind of behavior but I also disagree with highlighting and griping about it to create controversy and division within the fan base. Just my personal take: let CTV and Jordan's parents deal with it. We as fans can focus on the Super Regional and being parents/guardians that actually teach our kids what is (and is not) acceptable behavior in competition rather than allowing amateur or professional athletes to have more influence than we do.
Gator chomp is way more offensive but only when Florida fans do it.

Doing the Gator chomp is different than giving the bird. The chomp is an acceptable gesture that UF's own players use for celebration, and I don't see why an opponent doing it is any different.

But, generally, yes, I am not a fan of Beck's gesture, and I can certainly see how opponent's fans wouldn't like it either. That said, I am a UT fan and will continue to support this team and enjoy their winning and celebrations as well. As fans, we can "not like it" but still support and root them on.

I also agree with you that there are other programs who do this kind of stuff, too. Arkansas is obsessed with us, and they have a player that they call Bat Flip Jesus. Talk about hypocrisy.

Simply need to establish if Beck initiated the behavior or if it was in response to a specific action by GT. Won't make it a worthwhile action but might make it more acceptable. It is not like he has done similar things to any other opponents this year. Two wrongs don't make a right, but neither does assuming there is no offsetting wrong without running the situation to ground.
I think you answered your own question by admitting that regardless of who "started it", his response was wrong or not worthwhile (your words).

And I've already established that I didn't care for it, but that I fully understand that it was done out of emotion. I don't believe Jordan Beck drives down the roads on campus regularly looking for people to flip off. He reacted emotionally in this instance. We've all reacted emotionally to situations.

My issue is less with how Beck reacted, and more in regards to our fans supporting his reaction, celebrating it, and encouraging it as if they wouldn't lose their collective minds if the situation were reversed.

VN Store

Back