All Beck related discussions from last night (merged)

That's the biggest thing. This board has been full of people whining and complaining about how "everyone HATES us!", "why are we not getting respect?!", and then cheer when our guys act like this. No, I don't think these guys are bad off the field. But the problem is, the large majority only sees what happens on the field. If you don't want people to hate you for what you're doing, don't do it.
I have no issue with us being hated. I think these kids are just having fun, they're winning a lot, and other teams don't like it. We don't like that Alabama has won 6 national titles in football in the last 12 years.

The same people defending Beck would be outraged over Bryce Young shooting Jeremy Banks the finger after throwing a TD pass. It's just a double standard, and then you have posters villainizing anyone calling out that fact. People don't have to like that Beck did it, and people don't have to like the fact that some of our fans take exception with it. It's just a difference of opinion. I'd just expect that same group of people to hold tight to that same standard when the shoe (bird) is on the other foot (hand).

The team feeds on the hate.
Ok? Doesn't mean this board isn't constantly filled with what I said. Just yesterday there was 3 full pages whining about how they were showing the conclusion of a game that started before instead of dropping everything for Tennessee. Want to be hated, be hated, but don't cry when you get the results from others.

I have no issue with us being hated. I think these kids are just having fun, they're winning a lot, and other teams don't like it. We don't like that Alabama has won 6 national titles in football in the last 12 years.

The same people defending Beck would be outraged over Bryce Young shooting Jeremy Banks the finger after throwing a TD pass. It's just a double standard, and then you have posters villainizing anyone calling out that fact. People don't have to like that Beck did it, and people don't have to like the fact that some of our fans take exception with it. It's just a difference of opinion. I'd just expect that same group of people to hold tight to that same standard when the shoe (bird) is on the other foot (hand).

I had no problem with Derrick Henry taunting our fans in Neyland after he slung like 4 defenders onto the ground en route to a 60 yard TD to put Alabama up something like 50-0 that one year. When you’re that good, you can do what you want. I’m far more embarrassed by the product we put on the field than a college athlete taunting and disrespecting Tennessee.

Shocklngly predictable responses. You don't flip off an opponent--that is bush league and terrible sportsmanship, period. We take things too far at times.
Glibert's 15-foot-high bat flip last night was also too much--disrespectful. Sure, flip your bat--but you don't flip it 15-feet in the air.

villians! keep it up. it's our shtick! but maybe no shooting of the birds. bat flip is fine. have you seen what our opponents do?

Ok? Doesn't mean this board isn't constantly filled with what I said. Just yesterday there was 3 full pages whining about how they were showing the conclusion of a game that started before instead of dropping everything for Tennessee. Want to be hated, be hated, but don't cry when you get the results from others.
I haven't cried about it one bit. Let them hate, as long as they respect.

I had no problem with Derrick Henry taunting our fans in Neyland after he slung like 4 defenders onto the ground en route to a 60 yard TD to put Alabama up something like 50-0 that one year. When you’re that good, you can do what you want. I’m far more embarrassed by the product we put on the field than a college athlete taunting and disrespecting Tennessee.
I didn't care for it, but I was like you in the fact that my real area of frustration and anger was in the fact that we weren't competitive.

My disagreement with Beck's actions are not to be taken as an attempt to rake Beck over the coals, call for his suspension, benching, etc. I didn't care for it, but that's about the extent of my outrage.

That's the biggest thing. This board has been full of people whining and complaining about how "everyone HATES us!", "why are we not getting respect?!", and then cheer when our guys act like this. No, I don't think these guys are bad off the field. But the problem is, the large majority only sees what happens on the field. If you don't want people to hate you for what you're doing, don't do it.
Most of the hate from other fans is simply because they can't beat the VOLS.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I don't like it. I do understand the intense emotion and losing self-control in the moment, but I wish it wouldn't have happened. If the Vols are eliminated, the entire college baseball world will throw an online celebration/roast in the honor of the team.

This argument breaks down to old versus young IMO and also older coaches versus younger coaches. The older coaches teach the good sportsmanship route while the younger coaches take a more in your face, stomp on your logo, fake injury, piss in your corn flakes approach. Its the younger coaches/players game and I expect it will continue to evolve get used to it.

This is all I have to say about Jordan's middle finger salute last night. Did I like him doing it? No. Like it or not, it happened. It is what it is. Given context, it happened during heightened emotions in the game. It's getting this much attention due to the polarizing nature of this team and the national spotlight.

Our guys are going to do what they do. People are going to react to them one way or another. This is nothing new.

I'm moving on and focusing on Notre Dame, other exciting games, and enjoying our team in what little time we have left to watch them play together.

I didn't care for it, but I was like you in the fact that my real area of frustration and anger was in the fact that we weren't competitive.

My disagreement with Beck's actions are not to be taken as an attempt to rake Beck over the coals, call for his suspension, benching, etc. I didn't care for it, but that's about the extent of my outrage.

That’s a fair assessment. I guess I am less concerned than others because I know that there is no outcome where the Tennessee Volunteers in any sport are admired or seen as a team other fanbases want to cheer for. I think it’s fine to be perturbed by Beck’s decision to flip the bird, but I also think many of our fans are chasing some phantom idea that other programs will see us as classy.

Success breeds hate. Other programs hate us for being successful in nearly every sport right now, and so for me, I’m fine with just going full heel knowing that it will be a hell of a lot more fun being the New York Yankees of college baseball than pretending we can convince other fans to like us.

Hell, Rick Barnes is inarguably one of the nicest and most sincere people on this planet, he instills a culture of hard work, class, and faith, yet Tennessee Basketball is still seen as a program to hate by practically everyone. I’m just done trying to pretend we need to get people on our side.

This in regards to the media backlash about Jordan Beck (baseball) flipping off the GA Tech fanbase last night. I’m posting it in the football forum because the majority of beatings Tennessee has taken over the last two decades have been football related.

I don’t agree with a lot of this post, I don’t think this should be encouraged, but I kind of see where the poster is coming from here given some of the ringer we’ve had to go through as Tennessee fans for a long time now.

Interested in others’ thoughts.

DB40655D-8D8E-414D-85A0-C74C9C2A27F8.jpeg

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back