Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I don't think that Donald Trump deserves a pass for stupid things that he said before June of 2015. He would never cut a Democrat such a break. Those comments that Donald Trump made on The Howard Stern Show in 1997 were not just incredibly stupid. They also show a complete lack of self-awareness on his part. Trump dodged the Vietnam War draft over a really lame medical issue... but he has the brass to call something/anything his "personal Vietnam" ? And that something, turns out to be navigating the nightlife at Studio 54? Seriously? That is such low hanging fruit. I don't care how long ago it was, or what Trump was doing for a living at the time... You have to swing at that.
If you didn't have such a boner for Trump, I'd swear this is satire.

Once again, do you feel the same way about the analogy that Donald Trump made on The Howard Stern Show in 1997? Trump drew an analogy between the potential STD perils of dating in NYC during the 70's, with service in the Vietnam War. Trump even referred to 1970's dating in NYC as "my personal Vietnam".

It really is the same sort of stupid thing. However, I guess Trump gets a pass though, right? I mean, there is no chance in hell that you would ever be consistent with criticism across party lines... Is there?
Sure, it sounds same level to me. I'm not a party guy, I dislike both parties. The difference to me here is that one said this on a tabloid show where you are supposed to say stupid things (it's part of the gimmick), the other side it in their normal capacity as elected official.

There are probably some better examples you could use of Trump's if you're searching for whataboutisms though.

Last edited:
It is exactly like Trump. Her appeal is one of entertainment value, because she says things which are both hyperbolic and memorable. She also dives head first into controversies, and then doesn't choose her words carefully. Observers of American politics often find this approach to be refreshing. She has an opinion on everything, it is usually something misguided and the facts are rarely on her side, but that's beside the point. In the era of "entertainment presented as news", she is entertaining. She is vacuous, with zero substance... but once again, this is a new era, when substance isn't as important as style.
The danger isn't in having a rep like this. We probably always have in some fashion. The real danger is a generation of voters believe this is the way things should be. Facts aren't important, the math isn't important but the way it makes you feel is paramount. It's such a confusing way of living

And the whole studio started laughing because.... it was a joke.
Trump said it frequently, and just like in the comment below, it seemed more like an attempt to trivialize his dodging the Vietnam War draft, then it did a joke:

"Dating is like being in Vietnam (how the hell would he know what being in Vietnam was like?). Dating is like being in Vietnam. It's the equivalent of a soldier going over to Vietnam (once again, how would he know what it's like to be a soldier?). It's like war out there."

- Donald Trump, speaking to People magazine in 2003.

The danger isn't in having a rep like this. We probably always have in some fashion. The real danger is a generation of voters believe this is the way things should be. Facts aren't important, the math isn't important but the way it makes you feel is paramount. It's such a confusing way of living
There was a time when a comically ugly, but deeply substantive intellect like former Rep. Henry Waxman, could have a long career in the United States Congress. Waxman got elected because he knew the issues inside and out, and he fought for things he believed in. Waxman got things done. He was the tobacco industry's most fierce opponent. Smoking sections on commercial aircraft no longer exist, in no small credit to him. People like him can't get elected anymore. The American people want television stars representing them. You get what you ask for around here... and in turn, you get what you deserve.

There was a time when a comically ugly, but deeply substantive intellect like former Rep. Henry Waxman, could have a long career in the United States Congress. Waxman got elected because he knew the issues inside and out, and he fought for things he believed in. Waxman got things done. He was the tobacco industry's most fierce opponent. Smoking sections on commercial aircraft no longer exist, in no small credit to him. People like him can't get elected anymore. The American people want television stars representing them. You get what you ask for around here... and in turn, you get what you deserve.
There are some current and many former members who are as substantive. Some of them you just disagree with politically and discount them off hand.

The point is idiocy nor intellect is proprietary to a party.

Reactions: NCFisher
anyways, back to AOC.

these quotes are in sequential order from the article:
“After the 6th I took some time and it was really Ayanna Pressley when I explained to her what happened to me, like the day of, because I ran to her office and she was like, ‘you need to recognisz trauma’.”

The progressive lawmaker revealed that she is in therapy to cope with the trauma she experienced from the storming of the Capitol.

“Oh yeah, I’m doing therapy but also I’ve just slowed down. I think the Trump administration had a lot of us, especially Latino communities, in a very reactive mode.”

Ocasio-Cortez said that she learned the importance of recognizing trauma when her father passed away when she was young.

“That happened at a young age and I locked it away. You have to live with it for years.”

She needs to recognize trauma and credits Pressley. But she had already learned the importance of recognizing trauma from her childhood. LatinoUSA is likely winning a Pulitzer for Journalism with this interview.

There are some current and many former members who are as substantive. Some of them you just disagree with politically and discount them off hand.

The point is idiocy nor intellect is proprietary to a party.
"Some" but there definitely aren't enough to really move the needle. Heck if you go too far they basically kick you out of the party (even if your ideas match that party better than those in power)

I see a stupid hill to die on has already been chosen for the day by some (one) and the self destruction is well under way.

Congrats on becoming and normalizing Trump.

I kept warning yall this is what was going to happen. But noone paid attention.

Reactions: MG1968 and McDad
I
**** What-about-ism Alert ****

"it was like she was in a war"

Who else in American politics has publicly drawn such a stupid analogy?

Donald Trump, of course.

During an appearance on The Howard Stern Show in 1997, Donald Trump compared avoiding sexually transmitted diseases, while being a single man living in NYC in the 1970's, with military service in the Vietnam War (which he had actively avoided).

Speaking to Howard Stern while on the air, Donald Trump made the following analogy:

"I've been so lucky in terms of that whole world (the 1970's NYC dating scene and the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases)," said Trump. "It is a dangerous world out there - it's scary, like Vietnam. Sort of like the Vietnam era. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier." - Donald Trump

This analogy is made all the more ridiculous with the fact that Donald Trump dodged the Vietnam War draft with a medical deferment over something as silly as bone spurs in his feet... but then he had the balls to equate chasing tail with the same service which he had dodged? That analogy took an epic amount of nerve to make.

I took that to be a joke, particularly given the Howard Stern context. Like coming in from having a wild run through heavy traffic and announcing "It's a freaking war zone out there!".

I don't get any such sense of frivolity in AOC's comments to go along with her apparently needing "therapy".

Last edited:
"Some" but there definitely aren't enough to really move the needle. Heck if you go too far they basically kick you out of the party (even if your ideas match that party better than those in power)
True, both parties left their base a long time ago to appease the more vocal fringe. People vote against political ideals and support a party that isn't in keeping with their own. I'm unsure whether it's the voters that don't stand for anything or that they simply don't care anymore, I'm beginning to believe it's the latter.

**** What-about-ism Alert ****

"it was like she was in a war"

Who else in American politics has publicly drawn such a stupid analogy?

Donald Trump, of course.

During an appearance on The Howard Stern Show in 1997, Donald Trump compared avoiding sexually transmitted diseases, while being a single man living in NYC in the 1970's, with military service in the Vietnam War (which he had actively avoided).

Speaking to Howard Stern while on the air, Donald Trump made the following analogy:

"I've been so lucky in terms of that whole world (the 1970's NYC dating scene and the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases)," said Trump. "It is a dangerous world out there - it's scary, like Vietnam. Sort of like the Vietnam era. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier." - Donald Trump

This analogy is made all the more ridiculous with the fact that Donald Trump dodged the Vietnam War draft with a medical deferment over something as silly as bone spurs in his feet... but then he had the balls to equate chasing tail with the same service which he had dodged? That analogy took an epic amount of nerve to make.
So your complaint here is someone used a whataboutism in rebuttal to yours?

Last edited:
Does he have a catalog of Trump quotes? 1997 on Howard Stern has got to be a fairly obscure quote to pull.
He frequently references his "personal Vietnam". He has done it too many times now for it just to have been an attempt at humor. Trump is attempting to trivialize dodging the draft when he does this.

VN Store

Back