Alabama coach with some interesting comments on 11.7 and Bama disadvantage.

Bigun

He hit the nail on the head but I'm glad Bama is struggling. Hate those guys in every single sport.

Every baseball player at any P5 school that takes baseball seriously will now be on scholarship. You can have 35 players on your roster and you just have to make sure all 35 have enough NIL money to have their schooling paid for.

Every baseball player at any P5 school that takes baseball seriously will now be on scholarship. You can have 35 players on your roster and you just have to make sure all 35 have enough NIL money to have their schooling paid for.

Is this a serious post? A freshman baseball player who hasn’t made any name for himself yet, can make enough off NIL to cover the costs?

I need more information on this strategy.

GBO!!!

That is so wrong. The NILs for baseball players are hard to come by at any school. As far as I know the closest to an NIL is A few shirt deals which are really not paying anything. As big as some of the returnees are namewise, none of them have them yet.

Yep, I mean, I’m on record as a proponent of NIL, but that’s not room, board, tuition. C’mon!!!! IMO you have to have some success or have local ties to navigate the available opportunities, and even then, there’s work involved, depending on the deal, all while doing school and athletics. Just give all 35 the full ride, softball, rowing etc…

GBO!!!

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
That is so wrong. The NILs for baseball players are hard to come by at any school. As far as I know the closest to an NIL is A few shirt deals which are really not paying anything. As big as some of the returnees are namewise, none of them have them yet.

That's right now. It will evolve into something else.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I'm not sure it does for baseball players. They are not the big name celebrities that football and basketball are. There may be some schools who pay their players to come but I don't know if that will be the case for a while in baseball. We have some baseball guys who are well recognized in Knoxville after last season and I do not know of any that have an NIL contract that is paying anything other than a little spending money.

How much money has the bat flip king shirt made? C’mon now people. And I bought one.

If it is like most of those deals he gets about 7% of the net. so very little in the whole scheme of things. The only way to make money is to have your own website where you produce your own stuff and sell it. But that is hugely time consuming. Kirby has had a lot of conversations with several companies about NIL stuff. The shirt/hats stuff is the easiest but least productive. He has some deals coming that way as we get closer to Christmas and next spring. Outside of that it is getting harder to do legitimate ones because legitimate businesses are scared of college guys because as they have said we have seen college guys do stupid stuff. They are wanting to have long conversations and see the person in various situations before agreeing to put them as a spokesperson for their business.

If it is like most of those deals he gets about 7% of the net. so very little in the whole scheme of things. The only way to make money is to have your own website where you produce your own stuff and sell it. But that is hugely time consuming. Kirby has had a lot of conversations with several companies about NIL stuff. The shirt/hats stuff is the easiest but least productive. He has some deals coming that way as we get closer to Christmas and next spring. Outside of that it is getting harder to do legitimate ones because legitimate businesses are scared of college guys because as they have said we have seen college guys do stupid stuff. They are wanting to have long conversations and see the person in various situations before agreeing to put them as a spokesperson for their business.

Preacherman, it's such a good thing for us to have you on these boards. You bring us the real reality.

Preacherman, it's such a good thing for us to have you on these boards. You bring us the real reality.
To supplement his accurate comments, the retail side is not that easy, either. Speaking from our experience, the retailer has to handle the design and production, and don’t forget that they are also having to pay all that money upfront just to put them on shelves and then have the inventory sitting around for who knows how long to sell. And when you have a seasonal sport, interest drops off a cliff as soon as the season is over. Then you have very few sales during the off season. All that merchandise that you have paid for upfront is sitting there on the shelves with little interest from the fans.

I agree on the retail side. You have to know how many to order/prepare of what sizes so that not only does the player make a little money but you do also. I think there are very few guarantees on players selling stuff. If you do custom orders, then it is tough because the costs go up to produce the product. I can see all of the struggles from a business side of the legitimate NIL process. I think, when you say legitimate NIL deals, it is about both sides getting a fair value for their time and energy. The illegitimate NIL deals is businesses or individuals giving money to a player either so they come or stay. These have to be regulated in some extent. I think this will be the downfall of the NIL process because players will be given large sums of money by alumni or supporters of a program. I still do not see this happening extensively in baseball at any point. There are very few teams that have that kind of support in college baseball.

I don’t think there is much of a market for many true NIL deals in baseball but there is a real possibility that a program could raise funds to pay kids under the NIL rules. Get 5-10 boosters and use their companies to make it all legal. Seems reasonable to me

I don’t think there is much of a market for many true NIL deals in baseball but there is a real possibility that a program could raise funds to pay kids under the NIL rules. Get 5-10 boosters and use their companies to make it all legal. Seems reasonable to me
I think this is what Backwsrds K was referring to when he said all players should have NIL funds to help pave the way. Create a fund of boosters to help offset the 11.7 deficiency. Easier said than done and only a handful of D1 programs could pull it off.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Is this a serious post? A freshman baseball player who hasn’t made any name for himself yet, can make enough off NIL to cover the costs?

I need more information on this strategy.

GBO!!!

Are you that ignorant of how this works. If the University asks a donor/booster to do this for a coveted freshman player, it will get done.......if the University takes its baseball seriously. LSU, Miss St. Texas A&M,etc will do this.

Currently, the 11.7 is spread out over 35 roster spots. If a school that takes baseballs seriously wants a player on full ride equivalent, it can be done legally. Not sure how anyone with any understanding of SEC sports would find this hard to believe.

It may happen but not quite that simple. You must notify ncaa of agreement and what the player is doing to earn it which I understand becomes public record. Plus have to file 1099 with irs So I agree it can’t happen but not as simple as you give this kid $1 million to come play baseball for us.

It may happen but not quite that simple. You must notify ncaa of agreement and what the player is doing to earn it which I understand becomes public record. Plus have to file 1099 with irs So I agree it can’t happen but not as simple as you give this kid $1 million to come play baseball for us.

Preacher man, those seem like serious obstacles to average America, but they’re minor distractions to people capable of donating that kind of money.

Are you that ignorant of how this works. If the University asks a donor/booster to do this for a coveted freshman player, it will get done.......if the University takes its baseball seriously. LSU, Miss St. Texas A&M,etc will do this.

Currently, the 11.7 is spread out over 35 roster spots. If a school that takes baseballs seriously wants a player on full ride equivalent, it can be done legally. Not sure how anyone with any understanding of SEC sports would find this hard to believe.

I appreciate the response. That may very well end up happening, but that has little to do with NIL, or at least the spirit of what it’s supposed to be about. As others have pointed out, a handful of schools could pull that off year in and year out.

I appreciate the response. That may very well end up happening, but that has little to do with NIL, or at least the spirit of what it’s supposed to be about. As others have pointed out, a handful of schools could pull that off year in and year out.

I think you are underestimating the number of schools that can/will be able to pull it off. It wont happen immediately but it will happen. NIL completely negates scholarship limits in every sport. Walk-ons will leave campus with a degree having spent nothing for it.

I think you are underestimating the number of schools that can/will be able to pull it off. It wont happen immediately but it will happen. NIL completely negates scholarship limits in every sport. Walk-ons will leave campus with a degree having spent nothing for it.

I’m not trying to dodge your point, but you have to admit no one has pounded the table more for getting rid of 11.5 than me. No one has been more of a proponent of equal scholarships for every athlete on campus.

In my opinion, the point you and BK are trying to make IS THE DIRECT RESULT of the schools not doing the right thing for a very long time.

The athletes went to court, they won because of the schools and The NCAA’s flippant handling of the issue.

GBO!!!

I think this is what Backwsrds K was referring to when he said all players should have NIL funds to help pave the way. Create a fund of boosters to help offset the 11.7 deficiency. Easier said than done and only a handful of D1 programs could pull it off.
It starts now with LSU.... Next will be any SEC team that wants to compete with them.....Next comes any team that wants to compete with SEC teams.

It starts now with LSU.... Next will be any SEC team that wants to compete with them.....Next comes any team that wants to compete with SEC teams.

Agreed. But, I do wonder outside of LSU, who in the short-term has the resources to pretty much "buy" a championship. LSU clearly is dumping trucks of money at the doorstep of players and it has landed them Little, Young, White, etc. They also lead for Hurd and Skenes. Could Texas do this? Maybe.

Long-term (i.e. next 5-10 years) I think more programs might be able to catch up and invest like this. But, right now, college baseball remains a niche sport for programs that seem to be pouring all their resources into football to correct their programs in the largest revenue generating sport. It even seems that Tennessee which has had immense success on the diamond under Vitello, and is a pretty wealthy university in our own right, is not interested in playing the NIL game for baseball.

I'm not sure where things will go in the future, because I believe some type of NIL reform is on the way, but for now baseball is the one sport where a handful of programs that consider themselves "baseball" schools like LSU will be able to do whatever and get whomever they want.

Agreed. But, I do wonder outside of LSU, who in the short-term has the resources to pretty much "buy" a championship. LSU clearly is dumping trucks of money at the doorstep of players and it has landed them Little, Young, White, etc. They also lead for Hurd and Skenes. Could Texas do this? Maybe.

Long-term (i.e. next 5-10 years) I think more programs might be able to catch up and invest like this. But, right now, college baseball remains a niche sport for programs that seem to be pouring all their resources into football to correct their programs in the largest revenue generating sport. It even seems that Tennessee which has had immense success on the diamond under Vitello, and is a pretty wealthy university in our own right, is not interested in playing the NIL game for baseball.

I'm not sure where things will go in the future, because I believe some type of NIL reform is on the way, but for now baseball is the one sport where a handful of programs that consider themselves "baseball" schools like LSU will be able to do whatever and get whomever they want.
It is beisbol… The Yankees and Dodgers are examples of money dumps. Some years it works, some years it don’t.

Last edited:
Now I understand where preacherman20 got the 7% he had mentioned previously. That's on a retail side of a product and not for a contract to advertise or make appearances.

I am just guessing here, but I would think Beck made some decent money off the Honcho shirts, and that was just based on a story about an illegal bat. So, it was circumstantial. But if Beck got 7% of every shirt sale, then I would wager to guess that he made 5 figures off that. I know it's just one player, but that isn't pocket change.

But, there is probably a little more to all of this, and it will be at a select number of schools. As I have said previously, giving to Spyre is not tax deductible, so big money guys would probably rather do it through their business for tax purposes.

VN Store

Back