Alabama coach with some interesting comments on 11.7 and Bama disadvantage.

Backwards K

Every baseball player at any P5 school that takes baseball seriously will now be on scholarship. You can have 35 players on your roster and you just have to make sure all 35 have enough NIL money to have their schooling paid for.

vol66

Grand Noobah!
Every baseball player at any P5 school that takes baseball seriously will now be on scholarship. You can have 35 players on your roster and you just have to make sure all 35 have enough NIL money to have their schooling paid for.
Is this a serious post? A freshman baseball player who hasn’t made any name for himself yet, can make enough off NIL to cover the costs?

I need more information on this strategy.

GBO!!!

preacherman20

That is so wrong. The NILs for baseball players are hard to come by at any school. As far as I know the closest to an NIL is A few shirt deals which are really not paying anything. As big as some of the returnees are namewise, none of them have them yet.

vol66

Grand Noobah!
That is so wrong. The NILs for baseball players are hard to come by at any school. As far as I know the closest to an NIL is A few shirt deals which are really not paying anything. As big as some of the returnees are namewise, none of them have them yet.
Yep, I mean, I’m on record as a proponent of NIL, but that’s not room, board, tuition. C’mon!!!! IMO you have to have some success or have local ties to navigate the available opportunities, and even then, there’s work involved, depending on the deal, all while doing school and athletics. Just give all 35 the full ride, softball, rowing etc…

GBO!!!

txbo

Never worked for a Vandy grad
That's right now. It will evolve into something else.

preacherman20

I'm not sure it does for baseball players. They are not the big name celebrities that football and basketball are. There may be some schools who pay their players to come but I don't know if that will be the case for a while in baseball. We have some baseball guys who are well recognized in Knoxville after last season and I do not know of any that have an NIL contract that is paying anything other than a little spending money.

preacherman20

If it is like most of those deals he gets about 7% of the net. so very little in the whole scheme of things. The only way to make money is to have your own website where you produce your own stuff and sell it. But that is hugely time consuming. Kirby has had a lot of conversations with several companies about NIL stuff. The shirt/hats stuff is the easiest but least productive. He has some deals coming that way as we get closer to Christmas and next spring. Outside of that it is getting harder to do legitimate ones because legitimate businesses are scared of college guys because as they have said we have seen college guys do stupid stuff. They are wanting to have long conversations and see the person in various situations before agreeing to put them as a spokesperson for their business.

youcancallmeAl

If it is like most of those deals he gets about 7% of the net. so very little in the whole scheme of things. The only way to make money is to have your own website where you produce your own stuff and sell it. But that is hugely time consuming. Kirby has had a lot of conversations with several companies about NIL stuff. The shirt/hats stuff is the easiest but least productive. He has some deals coming that way as we get closer to Christmas and next spring. Outside of that it is getting harder to do legitimate ones because legitimate businesses are scared of college guys because as they have said we have seen college guys do stupid stuff. They are wanting to have long conversations and see the person in various situations before agreeing to put them as a spokesperson for their business.
Preacherman, it's such a good thing for us to have you on these boards. You bring us the real reality.

@1RBFjr

To noob me is to love me.
Preacherman, it's such a good thing for us to have you on these boards. You bring us the real reality.
To supplement his accurate comments, the retail side is not that easy, either. Speaking from our experience, the retailer has to handle the design and production, and don’t forget that they are also having to pay all that money upfront just to put them on shelves and then have the inventory sitting around for who knows how long to sell. And when you have a seasonal sport, interest drops off a cliff as soon as the season is over. Then you have very few sales during the off season. All that merchandise that you have paid for upfront is sitting there on the shelves with little interest from the fans.

preacherman20

I agree on the retail side. You have to know how many to order/prepare of what sizes so that not only does the player make a little money but you do also. I think there are very few guarantees on players selling stuff. If you do custom orders, then it is tough because the costs go up to produce the product. I can see all of the struggles from a business side of the legitimate NIL process. I think, when you say legitimate NIL deals, it is about both sides getting a fair value for their time and energy. The illegitimate NIL deals is businesses or individuals giving money to a player either so they come or stay. These have to be regulated in some extent. I think this will be the downfall of the NIL process because players will be given large sums of money by alumni or supporters of a program. I still do not see this happening extensively in baseball at any point. There are very few teams that have that kind of support in college baseball.

BruinVol

I don’t think there is much of a market for many true NIL deals in baseball but there is a real possibility that a program could raise funds to pay kids under the NIL rules. Get 5-10 boosters and use their companies to make it all legal. Seems reasonable to me

OldTimer

"An Original Noob"
I don’t think there is much of a market for many true NIL deals in baseball but there is a real possibility that a program could raise funds to pay kids under the NIL rules. Get 5-10 boosters and use their companies to make it all legal. Seems reasonable to me
I think this is what Backwsrds K was referring to when he said all players should have NIL funds to help pave the way. Create a fund of boosters to help offset the 11.7 deficiency. Easier said than done and only a handful of D1 programs could pull it off.

VN Store