Al Washington (Potential DC)

I like Rogers a lot, not necessarily because his is a VFL, but because I think he is a very good football coach. The VFL football coaching tree has not produced a lot of fruit. In recent years.

Reactions: onevol74
Everyone else gets away with it because they don’t turn themselves in. The NCAA doesn’t want to bite anymore. But if you feed them they will eat.

Tennessee should be fine in the long run. For the first time in a while a clear vision from the president, chancellor, and AD are aligned. So once the stink of the handling of the Pruitt firing dries up and things are handled better going forward improvement will happen. Very hopeful for this vision by some good people. However even us as fans are in prove it mode after 15 years of incompetence. So coaches and administrators being sceptical of taking on this even for more money is completely understandable.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That's a possibility, but the stress that this job will come with now, might not be worth it to someone that has worked through the ranks and is in a comfortable position now.

What stress? Low expectations. Lot's of upside if you can hang with us 3/4 years.

Swain said some sitting P5 AD’s told us no first but White wasn’t far down the list.
Naah, don't believe that. Danny White is one of the top 5 ranked AD's in the country and he was hired very quickly. They may have had brief conversations with others but Danny White was #1 choice from the jump.

This is what happens when you fire coaches for cause and cancel their contracts for doing what everyone does that wants to win. So now when you offer a coach even a million dollar pay raise. Your really not offering them a raise. Your offering them the possibility of a raise. That Tennessee could cancel and want to fight you over full payment. I do not blame any coach for not trusting a Tennessee contract right now.
What school omits clauses that say if you violate NCAA rules we will pay you your full buyout?

I saw what Brice said, but Ohio State 247 page reporting that Washington turned us down and is expected to get a title upgrade and a pay raise.

I saw what Bruce said, but Ohio State 247 page reporting that Washington turned us down so who knows.

I'm thinking so as well... but if Kacy was contacted (possibly interviewed), could he be interested? I know some say "he is NFL all the way, he's not coming back to college"... maybe there's a chance here?

What fan base have you been paying attention to? Expectations here are always high. Many times, unreasonably high.

This time *should be* different. With all the previous hires, a 3 year fix was reasonable. This time, with the NCAA issues, we can't even start to judge this staff until after 3 years pass.

Reactions: Carp
I like Rogers a lot, not necessarily because his is a VFL, but because I think he is a very good football coach. The VFL football coaching tree has not produced a lot of fruit. In recent years.

The coaching tree has been bare since Majors left

This time *should be* different. With all the previous hires, a 3 year fix was reasonable. This time, with the NCAA issues, we can't even start to judge this staff until after 3 years pass.
I agree, but I already see people saying that they've looked at the schedule, and 8 wins should be the floor. That's crazy talk. If we win 8 games this season, Heupel deserves coach of the year.

Reactions: 37620VOL and Carp
Yep, the 247 verified that the former Miami DC was never even contacted, so that leaved Hymen with egg on his face - again.

LOL yup. Never made sense. I can imagine may be he contacted us about it, or may be we contacted him to be a position coach. But DC never really made sense.

I agree, but I already see people saying that they've looked at the schedule, and 8 wins should be the floor. That's crazy talk. If we win 8 games this season, Heupel deserves coach of the year.

4 wins is the floor, imo. 8 wins is the max for the regular season, unless Heupel is the next Dabo Swinney/Nick Saban.

Reactions: Ratvol and bigl3327
4 wins is the floor, imo. 8 wins is the max for the regular season, unless Heupel is the next Dabo Swinney/Nick Saban.
Three years out, I think the ceiling increases to 10-11 if we can get a decent defense installed. We will be scoring points.

Reactions: Ratvol
Everyone else gets away with it because they don’t turn themselves in. The NCAA doesn’t want to bite anymore. But if you feed them they will eat.

Tennessee should be fine in the long run. For the first time in a while a clear vision from the president, chancellor, and AD are aligned. So once the stink of the handling of the Pruitt firing dries up and things are handled better going forward improvement will happen. Very hopeful for this vision by some good people. However even us as fans are in prove it mode after 15 years of incompetence. So coaches and administrators being sceptical of taking on this even for more money is completely understandable.
That speaks volumes and will take time to correct. We can't simply undo what's happened during this time period in a couple years. For the first time in a long time, we (apparently) have a competent AD & Chancellor, so if the HC is anywhere near serviceable, we might actually be on the right track.
Go Vols!

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back