‘23 AL ATH Tony Mitchell

And that is their issue with the NIL. Bama is worried the tables get turned on who can land kids. If people were paying more money in the past Bama just turned them in and let the ncaa deal with them. They’re terrified now that corporate involvement will tip the scales to other schools.
Mike slive ended the schools ratting other schools out. It’s one of the main reasons the SEC started its dominance 4 years into his tenure. That and the SEC network were his greatest accomplishments.

I mean, isn't this kid worth a bag? And he only gets it if he comes here. I'm sure a lot of kids will be swayed by NIL.
I've said it before. We don't want kids that only want the $$$. If you come on a visit and your dad or handler is only asking about what are you going to pay, then the coaches are telling you to keep it moving. You are more likely to be a problem than a benefit.

I've said it before. We don't want kids that only want the $$$. If you come on a visit and your dad or handler is only asking about what are you going to pay, then the coaches are telling you to keep it moving. You are more likely to be a problem than a benefit.
disagree. I believe the Mannings would have no problem with you suggested as a negative.
People forget how Eli (under Archie's advice) snubbed the team that drafted him.
But it was a calculated and deliberate move on the Manning family. While most fans viewed it as a spoiled rich kid kind of vibe.

The intentions of the family mean everything. That's the key.

I respect Carnell Tate for following his heart vs UT probably offering him more, but he also knew he would be walking into an even more proven product at OSU. It's all about intentions.

You don't think Cooper has been discussing the money for Arch with respective NIL llcs?
Or Nico and what he did? Most of the colleges can offer similar training and tutelage.
Dobbs somehow developed into a NFL QB without a QB coach haha.

If all other variables are equal, the money will usually be the deciding factor.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
disagree. I believe the Mannings would have no problem with you suggested as a negative.
People forget how Eli (under Archie's advice) snubbed the team that drafted him.
But it was a calculated and deliberate move on the Manning family. While most fans viewed it as a spoiled rich kid kind of vibe.

The intentions of the family mean everything. That's the key.

I respect Carnell Tate for following his heart vs UT probably offering him more, but he also knew he would be walking into an even more proven product at OSU. It's all about intentions.

You don't think Cooper has been discussing the money for Arch with respective NIL llcs?
Or Nico and what he did? Most of the colleges can offer similar training and tutelage.
Dobbs somehow developed into a NFL QB without a QB coach haha.

If all other variables are equal, the money will usually be the deciding factor.
You said it yourself in regards to Tate. There are a number of factors that should be involved. If a kid has 3 schools that he loves and he goes with the highest bidder, that is not the problem. The issue is the kid that shows up and nothing matters but the money.

You said it yourself in regards to Tate. There are a number of factors that should be involved. If a kid has 3 schools that he loves and he goes with the highest bidder, that is not the problem. The issue is the kid that shows up and nothing matters but the money.
IF that's what the situation is. Then yes.

But I think many fans are too loosely associating the negotiating aspect of NIL, to the "show me the money" prima donna type stance.
It's just a necessary variable in this climate. It's getting bad rap. These kids will make millions for universities. They deserve the money AND they need to understand proper methods of negotiating their current, and projected value.

IF that's what the situation is. Then yes.

But I think many fans are too loosely associating the negotiating aspect of NIL, to the "show me the money" prima donna type stance.
It's just a necessary variable in this climate. It's getting bad rap. These kids will make millions for universities. They deserve the money AND they need to understand proper methods of negotiating their current, and projected value.
I like NIL in principle. Like everything else, without clear regulation, it can be abused and exploited. What I'm saying is there is much more to building a football TEAM, than getting highly rated guys to sign. We've all seen extremely talented teams with toxic locker rooms fall flat. Unfortunately, once you've established a toxic environment under your watch, it's nearly impossible to reverse under that same leadership. NIL, in it's current form, even further opens the door for the destruction of programs who have a "win at all costs" mentality. It's one of those if you build your house on sand scenarios.

I like NIL in principle. Like everything else, without clear regulation, it can be abused and exploited. What I'm saying is there is much more to building a football TEAM, than getting highly rated guys to sign. We've all seen extremely talented teams with toxic locker rooms fall flat. Unfortunately, once you've established a toxic environment under your watch, it's nearly impossible to reverse under that same leadership. NIL, in it's current form, even further opens the door for the destruction of programs who have a "win at all costs" mentality. It's one of those if you build your house on sand scenarios.

NIL is probably the death of the type of process you're talking about. The old way of building a team around the team concept.

Because NIL isn't meant for team. Or else it would be called TIL. It's an individual...self centric process to gain reward.

The more NIL and coaches communicate the better chances they have to better acclimate this into team concept.

So, I'm suggesting we all need to accept the monster and hope that out athletic community is being diligent about learning methods to build the right structure.
But it INHERENTLY....can not be team driven during the recruiting aspect of it.

That’s ugly.
And unfortunately true.

This won't be an easy adjustment for college sports.

All I know is that there needs to be MORE communication between NIL companies and the actual coaching staff (recruiters)

NIL is probably the death of the type of process you're talking about. The old way of building a team around the team concept.

Because NIL isn't meant for team. Or else it would be called TIL. It's an individual...self centric process to gain reward.

The more NIL and coaches communicate the better chances they have to better acclimate this into team concept.

So, I'm suggesting we all need to accept the monster and hope that out athletic community is being diligent about learning methods to build the right structure.
It wasn't originally intended, and neither are the bylaws written for recruiting. The original intent was for existing college athletes to profit for their name, image, and likeness. Athletes were upset because everyone was profiting off of them except for them. Colleges were making money from their apparel with players numbers. Video games companies were making money from their likeness, and we're talking about millions. It was never intended to be the corrupted version of itself we are now seeing in recruiting. When congress passed it and allowed individual states to govern it with not set regulations, it was doomed to destroy "amateur" athletics as we knew it. If you don't see the irreparable damage handing hundreds of 18 year old's millions of dollars (who haven't earned it) will likely cause, then I don't know what to say. This current model can work in college basketball, but football..... not so much.

It wasn't originally intended, and neither are the bylaws written for recruiting. The original intent was for existing college athletes to profit for their name, image, and likeness. Athletes were upset because everyone was profiting off of them except for them. Colleges were making money from their apparel with players numbers. Video games companies were making money from their likeness, and we're talking about millions. It was never intended to be the corrupted version of itself we are now seeing in recruiting. When congress passed it and allowed individual states to govern it with not set regulations, it was doomed to destroy "amateur" athletics as we knew it. If you don't see the irreparable damage handing hundreds of 18 year old's millions of dollars (who haven't earned it) will likely cause, then I don't know what to say. This current model can work in college basketball, but football..... not so much.

Why is it okay for basketball but not football?

And they're not getting a lump sum, there is a contract tbat has certain criteria that would need to be fulfilled.

You're arguing over the morality of something that IS happening regardless.

I'm explaining how in order to "beat the monster " you can't treat it like status quo.

I see exactly what you're saying, and I'm telling you it's a moot point BECAUSE someone will pay if we don't.

Reactions: hooter vol
Why is it okay for basketball but not football?

And they're not getting a lump sum, there is a contract tbat has certain criteria that would need to be fulfilled.

You're arguing over the morality of something that IS happening regardless.

I'm explaining how in order to "beat the monster " you can't treat it like status quo.

I see exactly what you're saying, and I'm telling you it's a moot point BECAUSE someone will pay if we don't.
In basketball you can pay for 3 five star players, and win a conference title. They go to the NBA after one season, and the next year you do it all over again. Football isn't exactly a rinse and repeat sport. It will always be about a team effort. It will always require team chemistry to be successful.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
And that is their issue with the NIL. Bama is worried the tables get turned on who can land kids. If people were paying more money in the past Bama just turned them in and let the ncaa deal with them. They’re terrified now that corporate involvement will tip the scales to other schools.

I keep seeing this but I don’t know if it’s true. While it’s easy to assume that the playing field will be leveled with NIL, I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Why do you honestly think Bama is worried about anything? Because of Sabans comments? Think about this.

Say you are a blue chip recruit and have offers from tons of major D1 schools. While NIL definitely matters does it matter more than where you get drafted? NFL contracts are vastly better than any NIL deal.

Nothing changes in the long run. Marquee players have always benefitted from their brand…under the table. No secrets in the locker room. Emergent talents not as hyped in high school can now OPENLY seek their own…quicker.

VN Store

Back