A Theory about JG

You're 3rd string now so guess it doesn't matter anymore.
Overall (not just this thread but all the JG debates), I usually respect your position even if I disagree. Even when I think it's a little too much hyperbole, I realize you you're defending against hyperbole allot of the time.

This statement is just as bad or worse than what you accuse the Never JG Crowd of though.
BM/JG are both a bird in hand compared to HB.
Bama JG was better. Moved the ball better. Didn't throw interceptions. You can maybe call that one a tie if I'm being generous
Overall (going back years to JG vs Dormady threads) I find your posts virtually impossible to respect.

One player's turnover resulted in the team leader who actually caused the INT (Jauan Jennings) addressing the entire offense 1-1 on the sideline and taking accountability for causing the interception.

One player's turnover (which you dishonestly omit) resulted in Bama scoring a TD that put the game out of reach and the player who caused it getting his facemask grabbed & a$$ chewed on the sideline by Pruitt.

You can maybe call that one a tie if I'm being generous
No. You cannot, "maybe call that one a tie", no matter how generous you are to JG.
BM threw for more yards and didn't have negative rushing yardage(guess who did).

If you actually watched the game (did you?), you would know that our OL wearing their defense down is the reason we started to move the ball better.

@sjt18 has you pegged. You are fundamentally dishonest.

Last edited:
Let's be real. Picking between these 3 is like awarding a ribbon to the best looking pig at the state fair. If Pruitt had any confidence in Maurer or Shrout, he would have gladly handed over the keys. JG held onto the job because there were no better options. Maybe he turns the corner with an extra year under Chaney. I truly hope he does, but I'm not confident. I think Bailey takes over at some point this season.

Let's be real. Picking between these 3 is like awarding a ribbon to the best looking pig at the state fair. If Pruitt had any confidence in Maurer or Shrout, he would have gladly handed over the keys. JG held onto the job because there were no better options. Maybe he turns the corner with an extra year under Chaney. I truly hope he does, but I'm not confident. I think Bailey takes over at some point this season.
Exactly... Pruitt didn't break the record for most QB benchings because he thought it would make for entertaining games.

7/16 passing was part of the hole. If he doesn't throw an incomplete pass of third there can be no block on fourth down. Second drive killed by two incompletions. He had five or six drives if you count the end of half drive.

He did. Just not much.
He literally had 4 drives of opportunity, not 6. First drive was ehhhhh. Second drive was garbage and threw 2 in the dirt. The third drive was actually pretty good and was the same drive that he nearly got the 1st on 3rd and 20. This is where I disagree with sjt18. He looked like himself on that drive. His fourth was equally as good as his third but ran out of time and got into a Hail Mary situation. The point is he was getting better as the game wore on and there’s no reason to believe that he couldn’t have done what JG is credited with as well had he been given the opportunity.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If JG earned the starting job back. Why did Shrout start against SC????

That would seem to me that even after BM got hurt CJP still started someone else. Why JT didnt get a chance to finish is beyond me. But it was CJP call and it worked..

JG seems to have issue process a deeper field then 5-7 yards. Thats why he played well in Heltons offnese as opposed to Chaneys..He is a west coast style QB. IMO
He earned the job back against UK obviously. That was after So Car.

He had better numbers this year than in Helton's. Higher rating, more tds, higher ypa.

No he didn't. Maurer got hurt and wasn't the same player after returning. It fell back in JG's lap.

It is very likely that they stick with Maurer if not for the injury. The fact that it is arguable (and it is) that a true Fr was as good or better than a RS Jr... should tell YOU all you need to know about your idol. That it doesn't.... is just a testimony to the ability of humans to delude themselves.
Likely is just speculation. It likely that he bombs abd JG comes in earlier if not for injury. he probably comes in the MSU game at the same time regardless of health after the second int.

BM was the same player before and after the injury. JG was just better. The only thing that fell in anyone's lap was Maurer even getting a shot due to JG playing too up and down.

BM was not as good or better. Not overall. One game or a quarter or two does not a career or season make.

He earned the job back against UK obviously. That was after So Car.

He had better numbers this year than in Helton's. Higher rating, more tds, higher ypa.

Likely is just speculation. It likely that he bombs abd JG comes in earlier if not for injury. he probably comes in the MSU game at the same time regardless of health after the second int.

BM was the same player before and after the injury. JG was just better. The only thing that fell in anyone's lap was Maurer even getting a shot due to JG playing too up and down.

BM was not as good or better. Not overall. One game or a quarter or two does not a career or season make.
You really need to watch the games rather than final stat lines. If you had watched the game you would agree that he shouldn’t have been out there to make that second mistake to begin with. Two plays earlier he landed on his head and literally fell down the next play on a HANDOFF. That should’ve been their sign to take him out and evaluate him on the sideline.

The stats say otherwise.
3.5 good games as a redshirt junior after being declared the only player on the team to have a starting job locked up. The others QBs, a true freshman and a redshirt freshman, they never had a chance until JG was so horrible to start the season, that Pruitt had no choice to, very reluctantly, pull him.

Recall the Georgia game when Maurer started and looked fantastic in the first half....200+ yards and 2 tds vs the best defense we played all last year. Maurer unfortunately got concusses in the second half, and mighty JG came in to save the day, by going 1-5 for 14 yards.

And then there was the SCar game, where Shrout finally got a chance to play and looked better than the RSJr....Shrout, in limited play, was 7-11 for 122 yards, including a beautifully thrown long td pass in which he led Callaway beautifully in stride, something JG couldn’t/didn’t do.
There’s a few stats for ya.

Reactions: 1vol8
Kid plays better off the bench it seems like. Idk why. Maybe the game slows down for him. Hell I would say he actually plays better when he’s taking more hits.

You know we're just here to argue.

You could have made it easier and listed the percentage after completions-attempts(%).

On a serious note

Did we really pass on 4th down 50 times in 2019?

Something's not quite adding up for me.

I believe those numbers were for the 4th quarter

He earned the job back against UK obviously.
Remember.... that you are "gloating" about a 4th year QB "earning" the job back from a true Fr trying to fight his way back from an injury. I have been critical of the way Maurer looked vs UK. Didn't even look like the same guy. His "moxie"... confidence was what made him look like a potential early. He played tentative in tight vs UK.

That was after So Car.
JG played well vs Mizzou also... or perhaps the opposing D's failed to take advantage of his weaknesses. There is no doubt in my mind that all three of those teams had MUCH better defensive talent than Vandy or IU. Yet just relatively subtle changes in defensive strategy made JG ineffective even while having a MASSIVE match up advantage with UT's receivers vs the opposing coverage.

He did not play as well as a 4th year QB and 3rd year starter should play. Period. Too often he was a liability and the critical factor in the O being ineffective.

You are absolutely false about the last statement. All you do is speculate and parse "stats".... and then you want to protest "speculation"?

Like every other rational person who watched... they saw things they liked a lot from Maurer vs UGA and MSU. Mistakes? Absolutely. But an ability and willingness to make plays down field they simply weren't getting from JG.

JG seemed to have turned the corner... then Vandy and IU reminded everyone of his apparently fatal flaws.

BM was the same player before and after the injury. JG was just better.
Speculation? The FACTS say different to anyone who actually knows what they're seeing when they watch the game played.

The only thing that fell in anyone's lap was Maurer even getting a shot due to JG playing too up and down.
JG wasn't too "up and down". He stank it up against 2 weak opponents and UF. He was CONSISTENTLY down which is why he was benched. How many times have I said to you and others that Maurer WAS NOT READY? He got his chance because JG was flat out bad. He was holding the team back. Pruitt knew it... and benched him though he really didn't want to. If there is any truth at all to the "insider" info that came out... Chaney and Fulmer both pushed Pruitt because Maurer WAS doing well in practice.

JG WAS briefly up... and then back down at the end of the season.

More speculation.... and parsing... and conforming reality to your false narrative.

You are a fundamentally dishonest person. I have disagreed with A LOT of people on this board since 2006. But you are in rarefied air. The only person I can think of who even comes close to your level of detachment from the truth is Dobbs4Heisman. The only thing I won't claim to know is if you are deceiving yourself first... or know that you are pushing a false narrative.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Agree to a degree.

Pruitt named JG the starter in January. They spent the entire offseason trying to get his head right. He showed signs in practice of getting better.... then he laid an egg and got benched. Obviously if Maurer or Shrout found a way to outshine the guy they were pouring so much energy into who had already been named the starter... they would have started. JG didn't "hold the job". He lost it and probably would not have gotten in back if Maurer had not gotten dropped on his head trying to make a play. That's not to say Maurer was necessarily the answer... but they were willing to invest the season in the potential they saw vs UGA.

I agree that JG's weaknesses appear to be innate. He's close to or at his ceiling when it comes to being able to process reads quickly and anticipate throws.

Bailey is less known than the others. I hope he's that good... but my money is on the talented guys with more college experience and development.

7/16 passing was part of the hole. If he doesn't throw an incomplete pass of third there can be no block on fourth down. Second drive killed by two incompletions. He had five or six drives if you count the end of half drive.
Funny how easily you see things like that... when it isn't JG. If you ever open your eyes really... you'll see why the rest of us have little confidence in JG.

This is unnecessary, JG up to this point has not been a good quarterback. There is no need to look at stats, argue the point, or wonder why.
He hasn't been effective in part because he has flaws that make him easy to defend and especially once you get him in certain situations. He's pretty awful in the red zone. Literally outside the top 100 in CFB. The more compressed his time is to read and make a timely throw is... the worse he is. He looks good when UT avoids those situations. When UT can't... he looks like he did vs IU.

Those are interesting stats to have, but sometimes you can just watch the guy play and understand what he is and what he isn’t .
Exactly. He stares his receivers down and shows no anticipatory skills. He can probably learn not to telegraph his throws, but I doubt he can develop his anticipatory skills. That's a mental thing. While I'm sure he's a fine young man, he hasn't shown to be strong mentally

VN Store

Back