A Post on Jordan Walker's Improvement

We were winning the game by 40 points the 26 minutes she played. Jill was next with 25 points in the 13 minutes she played. So big argument that Jill should've been out there more than 13 minutes as it is a fifty for her if team keeps winning pace for 13 more minutes while she is out there. Horston 24 in 24 minutes then comes Darby 20, Puckett 19, and Jackson 15. Striplin came in with a 9 in 21 minutes. You can see that Jill needs to jump up to 25 and Striplin down a few minutes. Nothing we haven't talked about a lot before. Jill is your starter at center the data, eye test, everything says it is true. I am sure the Coaches have the data for all season and I would bet it would be Jill, Jordan Horston and Jordan Walker, Rickea and take your choice of Puckett or Darby. That is six then you can add Striplin, Franklin, and Powell as the fill ins that is your rotation.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We were winning the game by 40 points the 26 minutes she played. Jill was next with 25 points in the 13 minutes she played. So big argument that Jill should've been out there more than 13 minutes as it is a fifty for her if team keeps winning pace for 13 more minutes while she is out there. Horston 24 in 24 minutes then comes Darby 20, Puckett 19, and Jackson 15. Striplin came in with a 9 in 21 minutes. You can see that Jill needs to jump up to 25 and Striplin down a few minutes. Nothing we haven't talked about a lot before. Jill is your starter at center the data, eye test, everything says it is true. I am sure the Coaches have the data for all season and I would bet it would be Jill, Jordan Horston and Jordan Walker, Rickea and take your choice of Puckett or Darby. That is six then you can add Striplin, Franklin, and Powell as the fill ins that is your rotation.
Don’t really think you should use +/- as a stand alone metric for assigning the starters roles, let alone without considering the matchups created against the opposing team.

Don’t really think you should use +/- as a stand alone metric for assigning the starters roles, let alone without considering the matchups created against the opposing team.
No but you can easily say Jill over Striplin no matter who we are playing.

Some good discussion of +/- and other analysis instruments.

My totally amateurish take is that Jill is our best post option at this point. Others bring their strengths, too, and (disclaimer alert!l I like all of our players.

The one obvious observation I'll make is that our coaches take the old-fashioned approach to taking out players when they get two first-half fouls. Staley does the same whether it's Boston or whomever. Same with deciding who starts. Most would say Cardosa is better than Saxton and should be starting, but evidently Dawn has her approach that works for her.

This. It's interesting. It isn't meaningless. But some people read WAY too much into it...

Completely agree that +/- can have distortions. A player can enter a game, a teammate hits 2 3s in a row, and they promptly get subbed out with a +6 even w/o doing a darn thing to earn it.

On the other hand, at the conclusion of each game, team +/- is practically the only stat that matters, so broken down to the individual player it's an important stat but not the only stat that matters. Similar to PER, PDR, POR, WS, and the DarthVol sniff test.

Season stats mask the marked improvement that Jill has made. Rickea and Jordy have always needed the LVs to have an aggressive go to player besides them to really free everyone up, and Jill fits that bill closer than anyone. She has the aggressiveness and drive that Pat always had in the post. I do think that Striplin has some positive things in her game too, but if I was an opposing coach I would be much more stressed in the Rickea, Jordy and Jill grouping both on offense, rebounding, and defense.

Completely agree that +/- can have distortions. A player can enter a game, a teammate hits 2 3s in a row, and they promptly get subbed out with a +6 even w/o doing a darn thing to earn it.

On the other hand, at the conclusion of each game, team +/- is practically the only stat that matters, so broken down to the individual player it's an important stat but not the only stat that matters. Similar to PER, PDR, POR, WS, and the DarthVol sniff test.
…so many gifs, so little time… 😉
Darth has been civil lately. I’ll pass on this one.

Reactions: 37620VOL
I'm pretty sure I don't understand this stat at all, certainly not to determine starters. So Walker was 25 pts better than Rickea and 16 pt better than Jordy last night? How is that stat valuable?

I'm pretty sure I don't understand this stat at all, certainly not to determine starters. So Walker was 25 pts better than Rickea and 16 pt better than Jordy last night? How is that stat valuable?

It only shows how well the team did while you were on the court. It's possible that there could be correlation vs causation fallacies. While Walker was on the court we won by 40. Well, that could be attributed to a number of things not just how she played. ie Teammates could have gotten hot, opponents got cold, we used better strategy, etc.

It only shows how well the team did while you were on the court. It's possible that there could be correlation vs causation fallacies. While Walker was on the court we won by 40. Well, that could be attributed to a number of things not just how she played. ie Teammates could have gotten hot, opponents got cold, we used better strategy, etc.
LOL def some c vs c fallacies. It almost sounds like you have to get lucky to get a high rating. But KJH the stat lovin math major sure seemed bought into this stat. Practically shed tears when she saw JW was at the mythical 40. Maybe this is why she wanted to bench RJ for all that time. Clearly she's one of the least valuable players on our team.

At some point it is no longer able to be written off by anyone as coincidence. Walker's +/- over the last 10 games (recent to oldest)
+17
+40
+3 (MSU she was plus in a game we lost)
+7
-10 (LSU)
-8 (UCONN)
+4
+23
+16
+13

The irony is her lowest rating, -10 at LSU, was arguably the best game of her career here. Interesting, but grain of salt...

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back