8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

The writer did good research for certain, but this is a typical "free" article to stir up controversy. Got a bad team + poor readership at KNS (Gannett) = this story. Plus, UT has many million stacked away via CFP and BCS. They cook those books every year and work every IRS angle possible to look broke. In 2010 we ALL learned the Athletic Dept. does not stand on its own. They have used school funds and will again. Don't fall for the budget is low scam. KNS can't sell UT. Really, all it is about.

People that wrote the contracts aren’t the ones putting a piss product on the field. I guess you are happy with it. One thing is clear, UT is getting exactly what they are paying for, coaches that don’t give a damn one way or the other.

Pruitt sucks but do you honestly think he doesn’t give a damn if the team is good or not? Someone without any commitment and accountability wouldn’t survive with Nick Saban. And yes the people that signed those contracts are the ones putting a piss poor product on the field. You hire piss poor coaches you can expect a piss poor product.

Got a lot of talk on Finebaum today. Pawl even mentioned that he took a cut due to Covid. Not a good look. We have to get a new AD and head football coach.

Reactions: dlravol2
Got a lot of talk on Finebaum today. Pawl even mentioned that he took a cut due to Covid. Not a good look. We have to get a new AD and head football coach.
Probably not too far in the future. About 2 years the way this is going. COVID or not won't be anyone in the stands. We don't have the guy he's proven that. We don't have the AD either.

However it is a bad look
Rick Barnes, Kellie Harper take paycuts for Tennessee athletics budget
Vols basketball coach Rick Barnes and Lady Vols coach Kellie Harper already signed amendments accepting a pay cut, Satkowiak told Knox News. The cut will be taken from each's total compensation.
Vols baseball coach Tony Vitello told Knox News he plans to accept a pay reduction.

Every Tennessee head coach other than Pruitt signed a contract amendment agreeing to that tiered salary reduction through June 30. Those coaches also agreed to waive any incentive compensation they would have been eligible for through June 30, except for incentives for winning an SEC championship or a national championship. Those championship bonuses remain in play.
Pruitt should get his. He will be gone shortly. I think Fulmer is pissed and fires him.

Probably not too far in the future. About 2 years the way this is going. COVID or not won't be anyone in the stands. We don't have the guy he's proven that. We don't have the AD either.

I think the sports world in general is going to experience a huge change.

Doubling down on gullibility?

Not at all. If I had to choose between someone who is selfish, not a team player, and condescending or someone who is generous, selfless, and a team player I don’t think that’s much of a choice. It’s not a matter of being gullible. Believe it or not, not everybody is cynical and selfish.

Everybody doesn’t get a trophy, I’m not a fan of the Robin Hood mentality, and I understand that there is plenty of blame and accountability to go around here. There’s negligence from our athletic department that’s been there for years. But, there’s also selfishness among these highly paid coaches to look out for themselves and exploit these kids to make millions. Some coaches see that and responded accordingly. Others did not. If you can’t see all that then you’re blind and to put it in a word you‘ll understand, gullible.

Reactions: GoVols15
Damn, someone on here gets it.
I am impressed.

A question for you 3 highly enlightened business gentlemen that act like there’s nothing to see here. Do you think it’s ethically right, and a good look, when highly paid executives takes bonuses while they’re in the middle of laying off employees because business is slow? Because that happens all the time and if you think that’s OK, you’re in the extreme minority.

Are any of you who are running these guys down taking a pay reduction at your job willingly? These guys have bills to pay just like you.

Edit: I'm not a fan of their coaching btw.
If you are making over $500K per year, you don't have bills to pay that won't be covered by less than half your salary. Don't be stupid.

I wouldn’t take a pay cut either. You negotiate a contract in good faith on both sides. College football is a business now. You have a few people most of them alumni that will give up some compensation for the good of the program but it’s rare.

It’s a freaking pandemic!!! Geeez. It’s not like anybody planned for this or the consequences of the financial effects that it would cause. Most businesses in this country are adjusting and so are their employees. If you went in and refused to be a team player in a normal company they will cut you in a heartbeat! You guys are blowing my mind with your incompetence on this issue.

So...Pruitt gets a raise and an extension from Fulmer Sept 25th.

Gets by without taking a pay cut by deferring the raise for a season thus losing nothing from his bottom line at the beginning of 2020 and adding two years of that sweet sweet buy out cheddah.

School asks AD staff across the board to take a salary cut in October and most of the assistants balk. The same assistants who haven't just been offered extensions or raises that they just saw their boss get.

No wonder this team looks like a cl........k every week given that kind of stuff going on behind the scenes.

Pruitt sucks but do you honestly think he doesn’t give a damn if the team is good or not? Someone without any commitment and accountability wouldn’t survive with Nick Saban. And yes the people that signed those contracts are the ones putting a piss poor product on the field. You hire piss poor coaches you can expect a piss poor product.

While I think he 'cares', he strikes me as someone who has realized he isn't a HC, and is playing out the string. However, that ole boy has got one helluva unearned ego, and is going to lash out along the way. He is quickly learning the Fulmer method of throwing assistants and players under the bus, while nominally accepting the responsibility.

Except Will Friend, Jeremy made him a millionaire

This guy is gonna walk away with 3-5 million of UTs money. For what? Well, he clearly made the right friend a long time ago, and he is cashing out.

Friend_Will.jpg

If you are making over $500K per year, you don't have bills to pay that won't be covered by less than half your salary. Don't be stupid.

Yes, yes I am. Voluntarily. Because I’m not an ignorant ungrateful selfish employee. I’m blessed and I actually care about my other co-workers.

I am sure that Fulmer is having to rely on his underlings for a lot of the day to day stuff. Unless he is refusing guidance, a lot of his problems probably stem from the people he's leaning on for assistance.

A question for you 3 highly enlightened business gentlemen that act like there’s nothing to see here. Do you think it’s ethically right, and a good look, when highly paid executives takes bonuses while they’re in the middle of laying off employees because business is slow? Because that happens all the time and if you think that’s OK, you’re in the extreme minority.
I'm a capitalist, but taking bonuses when laying off people due to underperformance of the company you are running is despicable. Likewise, during this time, when athletic budgets are severely strained, it's very bad optics to not agree to a salary reduction to save other people's jobs. If I'm running things, those people refusing to take a cut would get a cut when their contract expires.

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back