8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

The Barnes hire wasn't a Fulmer success story but keeping him away from UCLA can be spun as a success story. If you see some type of fluff piece on Harper, Barnes, or Vitello the next couple of weeks, that further leads me to think that Fulmer is going into self-preservation mode.....

Fulmer had no success story in keeping Barnes. It was UCLA refusing to pay his buyout. Barnes was gone otherwise and has publicly stated such. Fulmer had no control over Barnes staying or going. It was all Barnes/UCLA decisions. If any UTAD deserves any credit it was Currie for the buyout he'd negotiated with Barnes.

Reactions: hog88
Yes, you are alone. They have a contract, and it is highly moral to live by the binding agreement that was signed. No ones job was tied directly to the assistants' pay. If it is, that is a failing on the part of the Athletics Department. The moral failing would be theirs. I consider it a moral failure to ask the assistants to alter the terms of their contract during its active period. I can see where fans of virtue signaling would be confused.

I think you’re wrong. And I know I’m not alone. So, who is wrong, Tee and Jay or all the other coaches? By your logic Tee and Jay made unethically and immoral decisions to take a small cut to help others keep a job.

Reactions: Power T-Rev
I’m 39. Unfortunately, you’re missing the point. I’m not talking about people in different departments at UT getting cut. I’m talking about people WITHIN the football department itself. You do realize that people within our football program lost employment, right? People that make the entire football program work like ushers, food service staff, janitors, and many other types of professions that make the football program work. There are more employees than just the coaches.
ALL Of those employees make the football program what it is. They all play a role in making sure that the football experience at the University is what it supposed to be. When you start cutting those other positions then it is all related.
Ushers, food service staff, and janitors are needed in a highly reduced volume right now. Why would it be unethical for people that are not needed to be employed? Many other jobs are less in demand right now. I believe its unethical to pay people that are not needed, especially if you ask people performing their job at pre-Covid levels to give away money they earned and need to give it to someone not needed and not deserving based on the need for their labor.

Ushers, food service staff, and janitors are needed in a highly reduced volume right now. Why would it be unethical for people that are not needed to be employed? Many other jobs are less in demand right now. I believe its unethical to pay people that are not needed, especially if you ask people performing their job at pre-Covid levels to give away money they earned and need to give it to someone not needed and not deserving based on the need for their labor.

It’s WAY more than reduced staff to have proportional reductions, unfortunately

Let me give you a simple example so you’ll understand where I’m coming from. I’m commission only sales. I make a percentage of the profit of everything that I sell. I get reimbursement for several things like mileage, iPad, phone, and various small expenses that are allowed to sell more product and make more money.

I have internal people that work at my company that do the ordering, logistics, drive and deliver the product, install the product that I sell. These people play a vital part in my entire company working. If they don’t perform properly then it makes my job more difficult.

During the pandemic we realized that we were going to have a shortfall, just like many other businesses out there. It’s nobody’s fault internally at my company. I voluntarily chose to pay for some of those reimbursable items and take a small percentage cut so that the internal people and robbers would be able to not get their hours cut. If I was living check to check and had no excess then I would not be able to do this. In THAT Scenario I don’t feel like it would be unethical for me to make a different decision. But, because I could, I felt like I should.

I had every right to continue to take my full commission and get reimbursed for those expenses. But, in my heart I knew what was right, so I did it. I’m sure that my decision played a role in keeping a lot of the internal people working for 40 hour weeks and staying employed. I honestly don’t know what’s so difficult to see here.
Your gullibility is easy to see.

Reactions: hog88
Fulmer had no success story in keeping Barnes. It was UCLA refusing to pay his buyout. Barnes was gone otherwise and has publicly stated such. Fulmer had no control over Barnes staying or going. It was all Barnes/UCLA decisions. If any UTAD deserves any credit it was Currie for the buyout he'd negotiated with Barnes.

I don't disagree with ya but that doesn't mean that Fulmer wouldn't try to spin it otherwise.....

I think you’re wrong. And I know I’m not alone. So, who is wrong, Tee and Jay or all the other coaches? By your logic Tee and Jay made unethically and immoral decisions to take a small cut to help others keep a job.
No, they didn't. They chose to re-enter negotiation of their contract. If both parties agree, it's perfectly fine.

Yeah this really ticks me off. They should get a pay cut because their players aren’t developing, they can’t win and we have one of the worst teams we have ever fielded. Let alone the need for funds to Meet COVID impacts. This is a bad look all around.

No, it’s really not. ALL staff are tied and related fiscally to each other. I’m blown away that you can’t see and admit that.

You don't keep paying your outside vendors and part time people when they are not working, holy **** how do you even argue this?

...because they're under contract and might not have a job in the near future. Maybe it's a bad look, but it's an even worse look to tell people what to do with their own money.
I guess that under the circumstances, it looks bad.

Take that for what its worth, which ain't worth much.

You don't keep paying your outside vendors and part time people when they are not working, holy **** how do you even argue this?

The reason they are not working (in some capacity) is due to poor performance by our team (led by the coaches)

Lmao, careful with that ethics arguement... That's a looooooong rabbit hole to tumble down... It's not the responsibility of those employees to mismanage the Universities finances, which has been done for years... It's not those employees that are using football program profits to prop up other athletics that don't bring in revenue... Be careful with "what is ethical"...
No. The university lost so much money this year because of Covid interruptions. They should be willing to take a pay cut to help out the athletic program. I doubt the pay cut request is that big.

I don't blame them 1 bit. I wouldn't agree to a paycut either.
Jealousy is unbecoming.

Regardless of the how much they make its silly to expect someone to take a pay reduction. You wouldn't voluntarily why should they?

I don't remember exactly how much the athletic department will lose, but it is several million this year. I would gladly accept a pay reduction under the circumstances - and would hope that anyone else who cared about the future success of the UTAD would also accept.

It is a fiscal reality, and their refusal is an indication of a bigger problem. You can't hold a gun to their head, but I applaud Martin and Graham for trying to help and for getting it. It is for the greater good of the team, the business, the entity etc.

After 9/11, we as a company were wresting with closing our doors - and the only thing that saved the company was a pay reduction across the board. If I am AD and looking at who is expendable when staff changes occur - I will also revisit this list.

They'll all probably end up taking pay cuts when they go on to their next job. They know Pruitt is gone within a year, 2 at the most.
And here is the rub... is it fiscally responsible for us to go through another cycle of firing and hiring right now or even within the next 2 years?

If there is an ethical issue in all this it seems to me that it lies with the AD and the athletic department. These are tough times financially for the department and the University. They also have mutually agreed contracts with coaches and others in the dept. Now they are in a bind and want to change the financial arrangements of the contracts by asking for a voluntary pay cut (a waiver to the contract, so to speak). This would alter the final payouts of the contract. Perhaps a better way would have been to ask if coaches would be willing to DEFER, say 10% of their salary for a specific amount of time in order for the revenues to regenerate, and then reimburse the defered amount of each contract. That way the total payout of the contract would be honored. It seems that a deferment of pay rather that a pay cut would be a better look.

Interesting that Jay and Tee are the only ones who took the cuts. Wonder if Coach Fulmer got those 2 fellers in a room and told them that he would take care of them if the staff was blown out?
So basically, you are suggesting that Fulmer would do something that would be divisive?

Reactions: dlravol2
There is no discussion to be had. Some accepted the reductions, great and some didn't and I don't blame them. I blame the people that wrote the contracts.

People that wrote the contracts aren’t the ones putting a piss product on the field. I guess you are happy with it. One thing is clear, UT is getting exactly what they are paying for, coaches that don’t give a damn one way or the other.

Reactions: orangealways
I wouldn’t take a pay cut either. You negotiate a contract in good faith on both sides. College football is a business now. You have a few people most of them alumni that will give up some compensation for the good of the program but it’s rare.

VN Store

Back