76k at the Shoe

Yes, I was at the 15 Oklahoma game. We lost, like we have most of our big time home games the past 20 years. I was also at a number of home games in the early 70s when the crowd made a difference and we won most of our big time home games

The 2016 win over Florida wasn’t fan assisted in my opinion. After Florida jumped to their lead they stopped throwing deep and did put us away. When we finally scored a TD, seems like mid 3rd qtr ish, it brought the crowd back into the game, but the real work was from the players.

I’m a huge advocate for crowd noise. Not only does it hinder communication for the opposing team, but can help motivate our guys to go make the play. Sometimes an adrenaline burst is all that is needed to get the last stop that is needed for a win. Getting loud at away games is more for the adrenaline rush for our players than for disruption reasons.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Yes, I was at the 15 Oklahoma game. We lost, like we have most of our big time home games the past 20 years. I was also at a number of home games in the early 70s when the crowd made a difference and we won most of our big time home games
We had a playoff caliber team crapping their pants in 2015. And at that point we hadn’t done anything of note in about six years. PSU has been a major player in the Big 10 for a good while now. They’ve been hyping this SEC matchup for a good while now. Good for them for getting a crowd.

We had a playoff caliber team crapping their pants in 2015. And at that point we hadn’t done anything of note in about six years. PSU has been a major player in the Big 10 for a good while now. They’ve been hyping this SEC matchup for a good while now. Good for them for getting a crowd.
My point was they would have still won that game if only 89000 had been there

Guess we have been spoiled over the years filling a 102,000 plus stadium....IMO those days are over where more stadiums will have a more NFL feel to them....It seems now stadiums have more bells and whistles to them because the younger folks don't just want a team they want to be entertained at the same time.

We all look at 80-85,000 fans in a 102,000 seat Neyland stadium and say it's a bad crowd when 80-85,000 fans is still more than 98% of the crowds in the country.

Our admin wants turn Neyland into an 80k seat stadium that feels more like a pro stadium than college. TN doesn't deserve the fans it has. They have destroyed the program and are now selling its soul. I'd encourage people to find other hobbies or another program. Wouldn't bother me to see the stadium half empty, why support this garbage administration?

You sound UpSet Birdie, hope you find another Hobby soon!

Buckeye fanatics stayed at home today.
They may be stupid yankees but they might know how to get their administration's attention.
Vol fans showed up for a nooner to watch a team that we had no business whatsoever playing.
We are starved for any victory.
They refuse to accept mediocrity.

Lol what?

How exactly are they "getting the admins attention? A few thousand fans don't mean jack. Especially against a group of 5 team.

And what message are they sending exactly? Cause they're in the playoffs practically every year.

To be fair, this is what is happening all over football at college level. Building massive capacity stadiums is a thing of the past. 80k sounds about right to me. They ought to put logo screens that pull down over the upper deck right now to be honest. Embarrassing to have 1/3 empty stadium but that is attendance now, it seems almost everywhere.

There was 110k in Happy Valley Saturday. We aren't building a new stadium and we still put 90k in the stands when we suck. So if we actually won games filling it would be easy. There is no other colleve team I can think of that is actively reducing their stadium size in favor of corporate seating and a pro stadium feel. You think people are looking to change the Big House, Happy Valley, Notre Dame stadium? No, those people are smart enough to understand how important those things are. Our AD would try to monetize Touchdown Jesus if he could.

Sorry, I'm gonna show up whether we're winning or losing.
I still come down once a year and to be honest I'd buy season tickets. Living about a half hour south of Bowling Green Ohio puts a damper on that. Wish i could live closer to Neyland I'd be there every chance I could.

It's a dangerous POS. Sorry

Making structural and infrastructure updates/upgrades is different than turning fan seating into a corporate bar. I agree with you we need to invest in fixing the infrastructure of Neyland. That is important to preserve a historic structure. I can't get on board for cutting down seating, taking cost effective seats for the average fan and replacing it with luxury accommodations for corporations and the wealthy. JMO opinion though, maybe my ideologies that a college football game should be enjoyed by everyone and not just wealthy the elite is too old school. It's clear what TN prefers.

Making structural and infrastructure updates/upgrades is different than turning fan seating into a corporate bar. I agree with you we need to invest in fixing the infrastructure of Neyland. That is important to preserve a historic structure. I can't get on board for cutting down seating, taking cost effective seats for the average fan and replacing it with luxury accommodations for corporations and the wealthy. JMO opinion though, maybe my ideologies that a college football game should be enjoyed by everyone and not just wealthy the elite is too old school. It's clear what TN prefers.
I would like to see a huge walkway around the top of the South lower deck, with quality concessions and nice, modernized bathrooms. No more luxury suites or boxes. We have too many of those already

They may be stupid yankees but they might know how to get their administration's attention.
Vol fans showed up for a nooner to watch a team that we had no business whatsoever playing.
There’s was like 65k yesterday; maybe. I’ve never seen Neyland so empty except for maybe Phil’s last game vs UK when it was 35 degrees and piss pouring rain.

Reactions: Boca Vol
80000 can make ample noise. I didn't want 100000 when we were good.
I can only speak for what I know, but myself and UF friends who have attended games at Auburn are in agreement that Jordan-Hare is the loudest stadium we’ve been in, especially given the capacity. The older I’ve gotten, the more the stadium experience has become more important to me than actual capacity. By experience I mean quicker access to concessions, restrooms, easier (more room for) movement around the stadium, TV’s for not missing action and individual seating/chair backs. For me, I think it stems from the work it takes to get to games now vs. being a student, in addition to coming to games as a family, so there’s more people to think about and the “issues” that come with that.

By the time we drive and fight traffic for 4 hours on a Friday evening, unpack and re-pack a car at the hotel and fight traffic and parking to get to campus on Saturday we’re already worn out. Carrying a 4 year old up to the upper deck isn’t in the cards no matter how good of shape I’m in, so he has to walk and us hold hands. The running of the bulls that is getting around a Neyland concourse makes for a difficult, and somewhat dangerous, situation at times. In two games so far this year he’s had to go to the bathroom once each game and we made one concession trip together, we missed 3 scores in those 3 trips and there’s not a TV within a mile of us in those scenarios. Half the sinks don’t work in the bathrooms they either don’t come on or don’t shut off, the paper towel dispensers yesterday were jammed in two bathrooms before the game even started. I’m not about making it fancy for the elite but I am in favor of making it more accessible, navigable and enjoyable for families because at the end of the day, kids/families are the lifeblood for future/continuing fandom. I’ve resigned to the fact that this can likely be done with a complete overhaul (when the funds allow) and at the sacrifice of capacity.

I can only speak for what I know, but myself and UF friends who have attended games at Auburn are in agreement that Jordan-Hare is the loudest stadium we’ve been in, especially given the capacity. The older I’ve gotten, the more the stadium experience has become more important to me than actual capacity. By experience I mean quicker access to concessions, restrooms, easier (more room for) movement around the stadium, TV’s for not missing action and individual seating/chair backs. For me, I think it stems from the work it takes to get to games now vs. being a student, in addition to coming to games as a family, so there’s more people to think about and the “issues” that come with that.

By the time we drive and fight traffic for 4 hours on a Friday evening, unpack and re-pack a car at the hotel and fight traffic and parking to get to campus on Saturday we’re already worn out. Carrying a 4 year old up to the upper deck isn’t in the cards no matter how good of shape I’m in, so he has to walk and us hold hands. The running of the bulls that is getting around a Neyland concourse makes for a difficult, and somewhat dangerous, situation at times. In two games so far this year he’s had to go to the bathroom once each game and we made one concession trip together, we missed 3 scores in those 3 trips and there’s not a TV within a mile of us in those scenarios. Half the sinks don’t work in the bathrooms they either don’t come on or don’t shut off, the paper towel dispensers yesterday were jammed in two bathrooms before the game even started. I’m not about making it fancy for the elite but I am in favor of making it more accessible, navigable and enjoyable for families because at the end of the day, kids/families are the lifeblood for future/continuing fandom. I’ve resigned to the fact that this can likely be done with a complete overhaul (when the funds allow) and at the sacrifice of capacity.
Agree 100% with all of your post

Our admin wants turn Neyland into an 80k seat stadium that feels more like a pro stadium than college. TN doesn't deserve the fans it has. They have destroyed the program and are now selling its soul. I'd encourage people to find other hobbies or another program. Wouldn't bother me to see the stadium half empty, why support this garbage administration?

Danny White and staff inherited this mess. If we can be average this year and beat the traditional also rans in the conference this year then I'm good. Kentucky should've lost to UT Chatt yesterday if UTC didn't get careless.

Danny White and staff inherited this mess. If we can be average this year and beat the traditional also rans in the conference this year then I'm good. Kentucky should've lost to UT Chatt yesterday if UTC didn't get careless.

I agree with all that. I just don't appreciate him selling our soul for money.

80,000! Was that announced by UT. Normally you can take off another 20% to cover the lied @ attendance #s. Sometimes much more.

And the OPs point? Am I understanding that he thinks that if nobody goes to the games, that the admins will hire better coaches? Or, if we go to games anyway, theyll just get cheap ones?

I wonder how most here would have taken them news had we hired Coach Day instead of cornbread?

Yeah that's brilliant, let's ignore these players and coaches because of what Fulmer, Hamilton, Dooley, Botch and Germy did. Makes sense to me.

80000 can make ample noise. I didn't want 100000 when we were good.
To each his own. I loved it when there were no fire codes holding down attendance and everybody was counted. I loved it the year Neyland averaged more than capacity and the 109,000 against Florida. I still remember ringing in my ears for several days after - same as Oklahoma. I enjoy the atmosphere of Neyland at it loudest. And this comes from a 46 year long season ticket holder in the south end zone upper deck with no amenities like the rest of the stadium. Give me a loud, rowdy jam packed Neyland. I don’t go to eat or to lounge in an easy chair. I don’t care about pro stadium glitz. Give me 100-year old Neyland and a Big Orange victory with 102455 of my closest friends. I go scream to be make the crowd a part of the game. No one will ever convince me that UT can’t be that place again. The right coach can make the difference. I can’t wait to get back in a sold out TBA and LNS.

Reactions: Smokey X

VN Store

Back