7-5

Yep those are my concerns as well we are a soft and finesse team and well Tim Banks shouldn’t be a DC. Look how physical Arkansas and Georgia and Florida were today compared to us and we look small in comparison.
I think talking to several UT fans that was the point of big concern Thursday. Both lines seemed stiffled by guys they should outweigh by 50-100+ pounds. Hooked wasn't crisp, several passes were high. I'm willing to write this off as first game kinks based on the fact we won by half a hundred. But it will be a fair point of discussion win or lose coming out of Pitt.

It;s way too early for this kind of talk. We didn't find out much about the team in this game, except we did what we were supposed to do, no more - no less. We'll find out more on Saturday at Pitt and then really find out vs the gators.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
South Carolina needed 2 blocked punts for TDs to beat Georgia state. Kentucky was in a 13-10 game with Miami of Ohio at half before Miami self imploded. Vandy beat an FCS team by 11 (which is a step up from losing by 20 last year). Feel pretty darn good about those 3, the other two easy wins OOC, and Missouri as well. That's already 7, you really don't think we can't beat 1 team out of LSU, Florida, or Pitt (who we are favored against)?

Agree and hate me. Disagree and hate me. Florida looks like I am watching another league.
Georgia over O that much.???

I thought our guys looked small this year.

7-5 with lots of PT for backup Qbs on big wins and the rest of the team getting swole and ready for next year seems like a reality hope for me.

Look at the main difference than Utah and Oregon than UGA Florida. It was clear from the start that Utah was going to struggle with the heat and humidity. They had guys throwing up on the field in 1st half. Also Utah lacked the team speed to match Florida speed. Utah is big in the trenches but speed and tempo won that game for Florida.
UGA is going to be good again this year no doubt. But I think Bo Nix made them look better than they really are. And again Oregon lacked team speed to play with UGA.

If you look at last years Vols the scores was 31-24 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. We put up more points than anyone else did on UGA and also had a lead that game. Our offense is better than last years offense and Hooker is starting every game this year where as last year he didn’t get his 1st start till the Florida game in the swamp. I think the defense needs to improve, but the offense for the Vols will be no joke.

If Oregon and Utah would have played any of the top 5-7 teams in the SEC on the road I still think the outcomes is the same. Oregon don’t get beat as bad, but I still think they lose to any of the top 5 teams in the SEC. I think the Vols have a legitimate chance to getting to 9 wins and if the ball bounces right and we get a couple breaks we could slip into 10. But I think the most likely outcome in Heuple 2nd year is 8-9 regular season wins.

Yep those are my concerns as well we are a soft and finesse team and well Tim Banks shouldn’t be a DC. Look how physical Arkansas and Georgia and Florida were today compared to us and we look small in comparison.
Arkansas should have lost today. Florida got lucky as well to win. Utah was inside the 5 yard line twice and came away with 0 points. UGA been physical for years so nothing has changed. But we did have a lead against UGA last and competed with them most of the game.

Unless it is proven that we played VERY “Vanilla” against Ball State, then I agree with OP. Our defense does not know how to wrap up and tackle, too worried about getting the big hit. We could not get to their QB. No explosive playes down field and if UT has to rely on a backup QB then we are 7-5 honestly. No killer mentality shown at all game one. Hell, I would bet on Pitt winning next weekend. Like others have said, Pitt has been battle tested. We did not look like we could sack a practice dummy. Show some killer instinct and actually wrap tackle then we might go 8-4.

Last edited:
We were never expecting to beat Georgia. Florida was really fortunate. Utah drove down the field at will against them in the 2nd half. And the gane was in Florida..

So...where are the 5 losses?
The refs stole a td from Utah too. The drive where their qb scored, they didn’t review it, Utah ran another play, the running back looked like he scored then fumbled. Refs were in floridas back pockets .

What is wrong with this fan base? We do exactly what we should have done against a weak team and more than covered the spread, had nearly 600 yards of total offense, held the opponent to 10 points (3 of which were caused by a bad exchange by the 3rd string QB) and played nearly every player that dressed out. Still yet, the LOM is convinced we are trash and have no chance againsr anyone else on our schedule.
I seem to have watched a different game. I saw a starting QB that got a little loose because the defense they were playing was only slightly better than the air they had been practicing against during camp. I saw one glaring weakness at corner, and a some missed communication amongst the 2nd and 3rd string defensive backs. If you wonder why we scored less in the 2nd half, look at the time between snaps. The definitely were not snapping the ball every 3 seconds. The game against Pitt will be the first one that will show anything about this team.

It;s way too early for this kind of talk. We didn't find out much about the team in this game, except we did what we were supposed to do, no more - no less. We'll find out more on Saturday at Pitt and then really find out vs the gators.
If you actually watched the game and not the scoreboard against Ball State you would already know a lot about this team. We’re soft on the OL and slow on the DL. That formula doesn’t work in the SEC

Arkansas should have lost today. Florida got lucky as well to win. Utah was inside the 5 yard line twice and came away with 0 points. UGA been physical for years so nothing has changed. But we did have a lead against UGA last and competed with them most of the game.
Florida also fumbled inside the redzone at well

Oh God and here we go.

DirectVibrantAmericanriverotter-max-1mb.gif
Oh God and here we go.

DirectVibrantAmericanriverotter-max-1mb.gif

I think the margin between 7 and 9 wins is razor thin and we could end up either way.

This has been my thought all along and so far I haven't seen anything to change my mind . I've thought all off-season the offense would be slightly better and the D would be below average. The D was so depleted when Coach got here that it's crazy to think they could be significantly better this year.

Is it just me, or do we still look a bit small and dare I say a little fat? I know guys like Small and some others have bulked up in the off season, but I thought we looked a little less in football shape than I expected when they zoomed in on the field against Ball St. To me we still look a far cry different than teams like UGA.

I won't be disappointed at all if we go 8-4 this year, Coach inherited a flaming pile of garbage.

I will be certainly disappointed if we go 8-4 next year.

We were never expecting to beat Georgia. Florida was really fortunate. Utah drove down the field at will against them in the 2nd half. And the gane was in Florida..

So...where are the 5 losses?
Pitt, UF, LSU, UGA, BAMA and maybe even a split with UK and USC.

The best team I watched yesterday was Bama and it wasn't close. UT is a better tackling team than both Utah and Oregon.. our record will be better than people are saying.

Reactions: 84Volfan
Seriously Utah was a 3 point favorite and they lost by 3. It was a good game but UTAH left points on the field tonight. 14 inside the redzone to be exact. We have a WAY better offense than Utah plus it's in Neyland. Let them try and boat race us. That Gator D doesn't scare me.

also, I felt heading into the season, 7 was way too high for Utah to be ranked.

Agree and hate me. Disagree and hate me. Florida looks like I am watching another league.
Georgia over O that much.???

I thought our guys looked small this year.

7-5 with lots of PT for backup Qbs on big wins and the rest of the team getting swole and ready for next year seems like a reality hope for me.
Of course Florida has the potential to be very good. They came within inches of beating Alabama last year and then completely mailed in the second half of the season. Richardson is a beast at QB and I believe Napier was a good hire. We'll have to play mistake free to beat them.

I think we’ll get somebody with our pace, scheme on offense, and WR talent.

I hate to tell you guys this, but we are soft, and finesse, and I’m talking about our lines. Not a good recipe in the SEC. Huepel will cover some of the stink with play calling.

But, by mid October, I predict we’ll all be calling for Tim Banks head.
\

We have been suffering with this since the Jones days. Just don't understand why over that period of time the staffs have not been able to turn this problem around.

VN Store

Back