247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

@k-town_king

Interesting "stat" since you say you "have them"....

JG was 16th among the 18 SEC passers in Red Zone completion %. (minimum 10 attempts) He completed only 41%. Only Starkel and Hicks from Arkansas were worse. When statcat sorts it by accuracy %, only Lynn Bowden had worse accuracy in the red zone. JG was 33%. They record 34 inaccurate passes from JG in the red zone... worst in the SEC.

This illustrates the weakness that you keep trying to evade and deny. A FATAL weakness for JG and the team when he plays. HE PROCESSES TOO SLOW AND DOESN'T ANTICIPATE THROWS WELL. In the red zone, decision time is reduced even further. He can't get it done.... and it isn't a new problem. He and the coaches have found ways to compensate between the 20's... but they cannot "fix" that innate weakness.

This isn't "experience" or OC or time in the system. JG had 51 red zone attempts. Nix had 40. Nix completed 60% of his as did Hilinski on 30 attempts.... both freshmen.

Team 5 STAR
QB Harrison Bailey FR 6'5 225
RB Ty Chandler SR 5'10 210
TE Austin Pope SR 6'4 240
WR Josh Palmer SR 6'2 202
SL DeAngelo Gibbs JR 6'2 217
WR Ramel Keyton SO 6'3 195
LT Wanya Morris SO 6'4 300
LG Trey Smith SR 6'4 320
C Brandon Kennedy SR 6'3 300
RG Cade Mays JR 6'5 310
RT Darnell Wright SO 6'6 320

Team Quick Strike
QB Brian Maurer SO 6'4 200
RB Eric Gray SO 5'10 200
WR Ramel Keyton SO 6'3 200
SL Jimmy Calloway FR 6'0 180
LG Trey Smith SR 6'4 320
RG Cade Mays JR 6'5 310
RT Darnell Wright SO 6'6

2020 Veteran Vols
QB Jarrett Gaurantano SR 6'4 220
RB Tim Jordan SR 5'10 212
WR Ramel Keyton SO 6'3 200
SL Brandon Johnson SR 6'2 205
LG Trey Smith SR 6'4 320
RG Cade Mays JR 6'5 310
RT Darnell Wright SO 6'6
I wonder if anyone, anywhere has an updated star ranking for current roster guys? The advent of the transfer portal throws the whole idea of looking at past recruiting rankings to determine relative talent off.

Reactions: LittleVol
Uh, yeah. I "literally" understand what that means.

That "stat" does not stand alone. Many of the better passers in the conference were MUCH better at placing the ball where receivers could make the catch then run.

Nope. Haven't lied. Not in the least. You are a fundamentally dishonest person who accuses others of "lying" simply because they shoot holes in your false, cultic narrative.

Umm, yes. JG frequently throws late or under throws. Again his slow processing and inability to anticipate throws enables defenders to either prevent YACs or make plays on the ball.

I know you want to spin this as a "good" thing... but it isn't

You lied and said JG got double the yac yardage that the top qbs did and he was only getting yards due to rac. That was a lie. He gets the least yac of any qb in the SEC. Don't try to change the argument now that your lie has been exposed.

You lied and said JG got double the yac yardage that the top qbs did and he was only getting yards due to rac. That was a lie. He gets the least yac of any qb in the SEC. Don't try to change the argument now that your lie has been exposed.
Where do you think I said that? I looked the stats up and said that it was nearly the opposite of what the other guy said.

@k-town_king

Interesting "stat" since you say you "have them"....

JG was 16th among the 18 SEC passers in Red Zone completion %. (minimum 10 attempts) He completed only 41%. Only Starkel and Hicks from Arkansas were worse. When statcat sorts it by accuracy %, only Lynn Bowden had worse accuracy in the red zone. JG was 33%. They record 34 inaccurate passes from JG in the red zone... worst in the SEC.

This illustrates the weakness that you keep trying to evade and deny. A FATAL weakness for JG and the team when he plays. HE PROCESSES TOO SLOW AND DOESN'T ANTICIPATE THROWS WELL. In the red zone, decision time is reduced even further. He can't get it done.... and it isn't a new problem. He and the coaches have found ways to compensate between the 20's... but they cannot "fix" that innate weakness.

This isn't "experience" or OC or time in the system. JG had 51 red zone attempts. Nix had 40. Nix completed 60% of his as did Hilinski on 30 attempts.... both freshmen.
@k-town_king I don't think I'm going to let you avoid this one.... you will see it repeatedly until you deal with it.

According to SECstatcat, about 39% of JG's yds were after the catch. Tua and Jones were essentially reverse that. JG actually had the highest "air% in the SEC... likely because he failed on too many occasions to throw the ball where the receiver could make a play after the catch. That number would have been many times worse if JJ had not skewed it.
Here's what I said... liar... @k-town_king

Including a ton of games he played a quarter or less renders the per game stats you quote invalid and irrelevant.

Why is that? Why is he not completing games beginning to end?

1) Injury (holding the ball too long)

2) He was benched but then had to come on the field because Maurer got hurt OR was to inconsistent himself.

One was a true freshman, the other a redshirt junior. Meaning one of them has a higher probability of improvement...

But 148 yards per game and 1.2 tds over 34 games is good for you 👍.

@k-town_king I don't think I'm going to let you avoid this one.... you will see it repeatedly until you deal with it.
Avoid what? He was still infinitely better than Maurer with 25% and 2 ints on 4 redzone passes. Now that is bad.

I have said JG is slow with the ball some. No one said he wasn't. His percentage in rz has suffered due to it. His strengths like making the right read and not turning the ball over overcame the accuracy to have good redzone stats. 155.6 rz rating buddy.

He was better in the redzone than Nix regardless of one stat. He had 12 tds 2 ints with a 155.6 rating in the rz. Nix 7tds 2int with only 3.9 ypa 144 rating.

Lets compare redzone tds and rating for the qbs and see who is actually performing in the redzone.

JG was the fourth best redzone qb in the SEC. About what he was overall this year.

Here's what I said... liar... @k-town_king
So you are saying the "reverse that" means that you thought the other qbs got less air yards and more after the catch? I don't believe you. It was obvious you were claiming that the reverse of JG getting 60% through the air is that the other qbs got way more through the air than that.

Avoid what? He was still infinitely better than Maurer with 25% and 2 ints on 4 redzone passes. Now that is bad.

I have said JG is slow with the ball some. No one said he wasn't. His percentage in rz has suffered due to it. His strengths like making the right read and not turning the ball over overcame the accuracy to have good redzone stats. 155.6 rz rating buddy.

He was better in the redzone than Nix regardless of one stat. He had 12 tds 2 ints with a 155.6 rating in the rz. Nix 702 with only 3.9 ypa 144 rating.

Lets compare redzone tds and rating for the qbs and see who is actually performing in the redzone.

JG was the fourth best redzone qb in the SEC. About what he was overall this year.

You know what stat I like? TD's scored. JG is abysmal. He doesn't lead the team to touchdowns.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The problem is this. Play in practice will decide who wins the job....we know that Guarantano looks good in practice and due to his experience is gonna come across well as having a command of the offense.... but then folds and plays poorly on Saturdays when the real bullets start flying. So, does this mean we gotta sacrifice a win or 2 early in the season before Pruitt gets him out of there?

Bottom line, the best scenario is for Maurer or Bailey or even Shrout to step it up and thoroughly beat Guarantano out in the spring and fall camp. Based on what we see on Saturdays, this would appear to be like taking candy from a baby, but it clearly hasn’t proven to be thus far.
I totally agree. But IMO if they can't beat him out in practice the chances they outplay him on the field are also slim evidenced by the results when Maurer got on the field. It is not like Maurer got in the game and looked better because he didn't What the coaches saw in practice translated directly to the field. JG produced results on the field, no matter how much folks hate on him he produced results and the others did not. Its his job to lose until someone beats him. I personally am rooting for the guy because he is the very definition of a VFL and the kind of kid we should be recruiting.

Maurer isn't the standard. I have acknowledged that Maurer has a lot of improvement needs. He's a true Fr that we're judging on only 6 attempts. IIRC, a couple of those came in the UTC game before he ran it in, right?

Again... you engage in patent dishonesty. Rather than dealing with a REAL and crippling weakness... you try to deflect and lower the bar.

I have said JG is slow with the ball some. No one said he wasn't.
Not "some". He is ineffective in the red zone. He is one of the slowest QB's in the SEC to deliver the ball. He has the lowest % of YAC's in the SEC. Defenders are very frequently able to close on open receivers to either play the ball or stop YACs. His slow processing and inability to anticipate throws is a HUGE deal. It hurts his effectiveness and costs the team points.

His percentage in rz has suffered due to it. His strengths like making the right read and not turning the ball over overcame the accuracy to have good redzone stats. 155.6 rz rating buddy.
Nope. UT was 13th barely ahead of USCe in red zone TD % and 112th nationally. There is nothing that "overcomes" that... and his red zone stats are awful... buddy.

He was better in the redzone than Nix regardless of one stat. He had 12 tds 2 ints with a 155.6 rating in the rz. Nix 702 with only 3.9 ypa 144 rating.
You... are a fundamentally DISHONEST person. Nix, a true Fr, had a slightly lower QBR than JG. What you didn't mention is that JG was 13th in the SEC in that stat... that's STILL terrible and especially for a RS Jr.

You can act like a cult member and refuse to see this weakness and how it cripples the O... but that won't change the fact that it does.

Just did. Riley Neal, F Franks, and Lynn Bowden have a higher RZ QBR than JG.

No he wasn't. Not in QBR, not in TD%, not in INT%, not in completion %. He was nowhere near 4th in the RZ.

Maurer isn't the standard. I have acknowledged that Maurer has a lot of improvement needs. He's a true Fr that we're judging on only 6 attempts. IIRC, a couple of those came in the UTC game before he ran it in, right?

Again... you engage in patent dishonesty. Rather than dealing with a REAL and crippling weakness... you try to deflect and lower the bar.

Not "some". He is ineffective in the red zone. He is one of the slowest QB's in the SEC to deliver the ball. He has the lowest % of YAC's in the SEC. Defenders are very frequently able to close on open receivers to either play the ball or stop YACs. His slow processing and inability to anticipate throws is a HUGE deal. It hurts his effectiveness and costs the team points.

Nope. UT was 13th barely ahead of USCe in red zone TD % and 112th nationally. There is nothing that "overcomes" that... and his red zone stats are awful... buddy.

You... are a fundamentally DISHONEST person. Nix, a true Fr, had a slightly lower QBR than JG. What you didn't mention is that JG was 13th in the SEC in that stat... that's STILL terrible and especially for a RS Jr.

You can act like a cult member and refuse to see this weakness and how it cripples the O... but that won't change the fact that it does.

Just did. Riley Neal, F Franks, and Lynn Bowden have a higher RZ QBR than JG.

No he wasn't. Not in QBR, not in TD%, not in INT%, not in completion %. He was nowhere near 4th in the RZ.
Quarterback rating in rz- 4th
RZ td passes- 2

So definitely top three or four redzone qbs.

The TEAM was ranked that low in the redzone. A few bad BM possessions and mainly a terrible redzone running game are the reasons.

Second most redzone tds in the SEC. Did not even play every game.
False. Four guys had more RZ TD passes than he did. He had more opportunities than a lot of the guys below him. He appeared in 12 games and had the same number of RZ TD's as Tua in 9 games.

You guys never know facts, just regurgitate talking points.
I had a nice little Jehovah's Witness lady that used to visit me at lunch a few years ago. She knew I studied the Bible and in her somewhat naive trust of the Watchtower... she thought that would make me easy pickings.

As we discussed things and I asked her questions that her handlers had not taught her to answer... I could literally see the expression on her face change. She turned her hearing off. They trained her to escape as fast as possible when someone confronted her with something contrary to their cult indoctrination.

You are the same way. These ARE the facts and virtually everyone sees them but you.

Last edited:
Quarterback rating in rz- 4th
Cite your source. He isn't 4th.
RZ td passes- 2
Only if his 12 are more than Fromm's 17, Trasks' 17, or Mond's 15. Are you lying or are you just so self-deceived that you can't even see things that disagree with your lies?

Those 12 TD's are a matter of opportunity... not good play.

So definitely top three or four redzone qbs.
Not even close. You are a fundamentally dishonest person.

The TEAM was ranked that low in the redzone. A few bad BM possessions and mainly a terrible redzone running game are the reasons.
cfbstats only lists the top 100 in red zone QBR... JG isn't listed. He's outside the top 100 in all of CFB.

Go ahead and spin that.... tell us how that actually means he's one of the best in the country.

Cite your source. He isn't 4th.
Only if his 12 are more than Fromm's 17, Trasks' 17, or Mond's 15. Are you lying or are you just so self-deceived that you can't even see things that disagree with your lies?

Those 12 TD's are a matter of opportunity... not good play.

Not even close. You are a fundamentally dishonest person.

cfbstats only lists the top 100 in red zone QBR... JG isn't listed. He's outside the top 100 in all of CFB.

Go ahead and spin that.... tell us how that actually means he's one of the best in the country.
Well, it certainly got quiet in this thread.

Reactions: sjt18
Well, it certainly got quiet in this thread.
He'll either come back and act like it never happened... or sign up again with another screen name. I'm not sure how many he has... but I'm pretty sure he's a multiple.

Team 5 STAR
QB Harrison Bailey FR 6'5 225
RB Ty Chandler SR 5'10 210
SL DeAngelo Gibbs JR 6'2 217
WR Ramel Keyton SO 6'3 195
LG Trey Smith SR 6'4 320
RG Cade Mays JR 6'5 310
RT Darnell Wright SO 6'6 320