247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

Couple of comments:

(1) Would be surprised if Gibbs is not a starter.
(2) With the OL we have, I would not be surprised to see the Vols line up with two tight ends and a fullback and run the ball like the 49ers. If I were OC, it would be my top priority. Line up and physically dominate the opposition. Beat them into submission.
Yes sir just like the old days

DE 6'7 310 D Middleton (Sr)
NG 6'4 300 G Emerson (RsSo)
DE 6'4 295 A Solomon (Sr)

OLB 6'2 265 B Eason (Fr)
ILB 6'3 235 JJ Peterson ( RsSo)
MLB 6'3 240 H To'oto'o (So)
OLB 6'3 247 Q Crouch (So)

NB 5'11 195 S Shamburger (Sr)
CB 5'11 190 B Thompson ( Jr)
CB 6'1 200 K Lawrence (Fr)
FS 6'0 195 A Taylor (Jr)
SS 6'0 202 J McCullough (So)
Idk about moving Alontae. He had some sophomore growing pains but i cant see a freshman CB starting especially when u have Burrell who took snaps last yr. One of those OLB spots is going to DeAndre Johnson. He is a senior who has started the last 2yrs. I like having Eason out there i think thats a pretty good idea based on his size alone but we also have to factor in Roman. I also believe Emmit Gooden starts somewhere on the dline. This is a great situation for us when we dnt even mention Bennett, Butler, Thomas, Joseph, Baron, Buchanan, Jackson, Flowers, Bumphus, Fields, Simmons, Allen, or French who could all compete for a starting spot on defense.

Idk about moving Alontae. He had some sophomore growing pains but i cant see a freshman CB starting especially when u have Burrell who took snaps last yr. One of those OLB spots is going to DeAndre Johnson. He is a senior who has started the last 2yrs. I like having Eason out there i think thats a pretty good idea based on his size alone but we also have to factor in Roman. I also believe Emmit Gooden starts somewhere on the dline. This is a great situation for us when we dnt even mention Bennett, Butler, Thomas, Joseph, Baron, Buchanan, Jackson, Flowers, Bumphus, Fields, Simmons, Allen, or French who could all compete for a starting spot on defense.

Talent wise, it's the deepest defense we've had in a while!

DE M Butler Sr 6'4 290
NG E Gooden Sr 6'3 300
DE A Solomon Sr 6'4 295

OLB K Bennett Jr 6'2 248
ILB C Crouch So 6'2 247
MLB H To'oto'o So 6'3 240
OLB R Harrison So 6'2 238

SS J McCullough So 6'0 210
FS K Lawrence Fr 6'1 200
CB B Thompson So 5'11 190
NB S Shamburger Sr 5'11 200
CB A Taylor Jr 6'0 195

People make a big deal about whose starting, but the key to having real depth is playing and rotating all your top guys at each position. Had Key Lawrence went to LSU and not UT, he would have found a way on the field. Yes, he gets on the field in front of Burrell who is also good player. Alontae to FS is similar to what Bama did to Eddie Jackson. Good CB but phenomenal FS. I think Taylor could be that.

Roman Harrison and Kivon Bennett were the most pressure on QBs percentage wise at the end of year.
But JJ Peterson will finbe healthy and stronger. So maybe Crouch starts outside?
D Johnson will play maybe start?
Eason is a monster. Same for Joseph.

D-line you can shuffle the top 8 guys and you'd be right lol. So deep so talented.
Matthew Butler :
- 45 tkls 2.5 Sacks last season is the guy no one is talking about . He had a huge year for 3-4 DE!
Aubrey Solomon will be in year 2.
Latrell Bumphis at 6'3 275 played DE and OLB some. Had 6 TFLs!
And there's D Middleton. The return of Emmit Gooden. Greg Emerson and Kurot Garland holding down the middle.
Not to mention Simmons, Mincey and the Freshman! Pruitt and Rocker got the D-Line ready in a hurry!

What's happening with Beasley? Big safety or has he grown/moved to LB? I can remember him being very physical in his HS vids. Some speculated he'd turn out to be the steal of his class. Where does he stand in terms of size?

Talent wise, it's the deepest defense we've had in a while!

DE M Butler Sr 6'4 290
NG E Gooden Sr 6'3 300
DE A Solomon Sr 6'4 295

OLB K Bennett Jr 6'2 248
ILB C Crouch So 6'2 247
MLB H To'oto'o So 6'3 240
OLB R Harrison So 6'2 238

SS J McCullough So 6'0 210
FS K Lawrence Fr 6'1 200
CB B Thompson So 5'11 190
NB S Shamburger Sr 5'11 200
CB A Taylor Jr 6'0 195

People make a big deal about whose starting, but the key to having real depth is playing and rotating all your top guys at each position. Had Key Lawrence went to LSU and not UT, he would have found a way on the field. Yes, he gets on the field in front of Burrell who is also good player. Alontae to FS is similar to what Bama did to Eddie Jackson. Good CB but phenomenal FS. I think Taylor could be that.

Roman Harrison and Kivon Bennett were the most pressure on QBs percentage wise at the end of year.
But JJ Peterson will finbe healthy and stronger. So maybe Crouch starts outside?
D Johnson will play maybe start?
Eason is a monster. Same for Joseph.

D-line you can shuffle the top 8 guys and you'd be right lol. So deep so talented.
Matthew Butler :
- 45 tkls 2.5 Sacks last season is the guy no one is talking about . He had a huge year for 3-4 DE!
Aubrey Solomon will be in year 2.
Latrell Bumphis at 6'3 275 played DE and OLB some. Had 6 TFLs!
And there's D Middleton. The return of Emmit Gooden. Greg Emerson and Kurot Garland holding down the middle.
Not to mention Simmons, Mincey and the Freshman! Pruitt and Rocker got the D-Line ready in a hurry!
At 6'2 202 Lawrence is playing saftey. Mo Hampton (CB) out of Memphis was the top player in the state last year and they are nearly identical size. He went to LSU and they made him a saftey. His skill set suggests he can fill that Nigel Warrior void. If he can't, we still would be in good shape with Theo Jackson. That dline just looks the part now. I remember when we could count on 1 hand how many 300lb guys we had. If nothing else this year we are built for war on both sides of the trenches. I honestly have 0 concerns with 21 out of 22 positions on the field. I believe every spot that isnt filled has multiple guys who could fill it. I believe the Wr group as a whole will only go as far as that 1 position of concern. What will our QB play be this year???IDC who does it i just want a guy thats not gonna lose it. The Qb will be the difference between 8 wins and double digit wins this season.

Pruitt has indicated that Whitehead will get strong consideration at RB. At 6'2"-230, probably 235-240 by the time the season rolls around, he could be a beast at RB. Hodge at 6'-210 not near as likely to be our short yardage back. You could be right, but Hodge will probably have to add 15-20 lbs. to contend with Whitehead.
Whitehead is 6’1 230lbs and 4.7 speed, Hodge is 6’2 228 lbs and 4.38 speed according to 247 sports

What's happening with Beasley? Big safety or has he grown/moved to LB? I can remember him being very physical in his HS vids. Some speculated he'd turn out to be the steal of his class. Where does he stand in terms of size?

Still a good young player. Physical.
I wonder myself where he fits beside special teams.

4.38 speed? Where did you get that from?
Holliday runs a 4.38.

4.47 is the fastest he's been recorded and he was 190 lbs then.
If Hodge is legitimately sub 4.5 my expectations for him may be a little low. Thought he was more like a 4.6 guy. No knock on 4.6 guys... people have succeeded with that

If Hodge is legitimately sub 4.5 my expectations for him may be a little low. Thought he was more like a 4.6 guy. No knock on 4.6 guys... people have succeeded with that

I think he's a 4.65 guy. I don't think he ever ran 4.47 at any weight.
But I love his vision and pass blocking. He can catch and he's hard to bring down.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He will be. Guys' 40-times always immediately drop 0.2 seconds once they sport the orange. Then, they run 4.6-4.7 40-yard dash times at the combine.

There are only about 2-3 players max that run sub-4.4 40-yard dash times each year at the combine. Yet, if you listen to people on this board, we sign 1-2 per year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He will be. Guys' 40-times always immediately drop 0.2 seconds once they sport the orange. Then, they run 4.6-4.7 40-yard dash times at the combine.

There are only about 2-3 players max that run sub-4.4 40-yard dash times each year at the combine. Yet, if you listen to people on this board, we sign 1-2 per year.
4.4 is fast and far between, not nearly as many out there as fans believe. Tons of 4.5 - 4.7 guys out there but not a lot with the body to match. You can't teach speed and this recruiting class has it at every level and body type.

Maybe Bailey will be ready. If not, JG will be the best we have still.
You avoided the FACT that JG wasn't even in the top 100 in RZ QBR. Not convenient to your narrative huh? Go ahead. Tell us how him being outside the top 100 means he's actually great and Maurer sucks.

You have no way of knowing who "will be" the best UT has. Why? Because JG is pretty near topped out. He's reached his potential... and it isn't good enough. Maurer and Shrout at a minimum have not come close to their potential yet. If they develop even at a normal rate this off season then they will challenge JG. We don't know necessarily where Hill is.

Bailey has a long way to go simply because he hasn't faced competition at the level he's about to see. He will have to master the playbook and catch up to the speed of the game... and he STILL has a legitimate shot to catch and pass JG. Holiday is a project who will still likely end up at a different position.

VN Store

Back