'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

247 same rank last year:
Kendall Brown Baylor 27mpg 9.7ppg 4.9rpg

Rivals same rank last year:
Peyton Watson UCLA 12.7mpg 3.3ppg 2.9rpg

On3 same rank last year:
Hunter Sallis Gonzaga 13.6mpg 4.3ppg 2.0rpg

I don’t feel like doing multiple years, I’m sure there are outliers in both directions, but my point being I’m not sure many folks will have “realistic” expectations.

Brown played on the same Sunrise team as Chandler yeah? Kid was really impressive. Would be a total win if Phillips was that good.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Will those extra minutes not hurt them though? I think we saw last year guys get tired from playing so many minutes. I personally am skeptical on Key. If he’s legitimately fully healthy he’ll be a huge addition, but we’ve seen what shoulder injuries can do. Especially here at Tennessee.
Look at the best teams, small rotation and big minutes, this narrative about 18-22 year old getting worn out isn’t accurate at all.

Just to give the counter to the Auburn article, our coaches speak to Phillips daily too. They continue to be optimistic, and still believe we lead.
Your side never waivered when I said I was hearing pessimism, as I’ve said coming out of Auburn visit Tennessee feels better and Spyre feels good as well…anything can happen, especially with this recruitment, but Vols definitely have a real shot.

Your side never waivered when I said I was hearing pessimism, as I’ve said coming out of Auburn visit Tennessee feels better and Spyre feels good as well…anything can happen, especially with this recruitment, but Vols definitely have a real shot.
My friend is close with someone on staff and someone at Spyre. His perspective is just that we have been organized and consistent. He thinks Phillips is tired of the whole thing and that’s why he canceled the KSU visit. My friend also said Steven Pearl is relentless, and assuring them of minutes and a better deal. My friend just thinks the stability of Barnes and our environment bodes well. That’s been the way he’s felt for two months. I will also say that we pulled out all the stops on connections. Chandler and family talked to Phillips and his family, and two NBA assistants and two NBA players talked to them as well. I know Barnes sees Phillips as a “very rare talent”, and believes he has the tools to contribute this year. Since it’s Auburn, I’ll sweat it til the end, but it sounds like we played it as well as we could.

Worn out no, but tired? I can see it. You could tell Vescovi was “tired” against Michigan.
Don’t think so, that was just how Michigan defended him and the defenders they had at their disposal. He looked the same way against Texas Tech earlier in the season…these guys aren’t getting “tired” playing 28-30mpg, look around.

My friend is close with someone on staff and someone at Spyre. His perspective is just that we have been organized and consistent. He thinks Phillips is tired of the whole thing and that’s why he canceled the KSU visit. My friend also said Steven Pearl is relentless, and assuring them of minutes and a better deal. My friend just thinks the stability of Barnes and our environment bodes well. That’s been the way he’s felt for two months. I will also say that we pulled out all the stops on connections. Chandler and family talked to Phillips and his family, and two NBA assistants and two NBA players talked to them as well. I know Barnes sees Phillips as a “very rare talent”, and believes he has the tools to contribute this year. Since it’s Auburn, I’ll sweat it til the end, but it sounds like we played it as well as we could.

Feel the same.

Yeah. Just no idea how this one ends. This decision feels like a make or break for this off-season though. Miss on Phillips and I’m not sure where you go to upgrade this roster for the immediate future.
JMO, but if we miss on Philips, maybe go for the Lofton/Osun package deal?

What’s a fair statistical expectation for freshman Phillips?

I’m not going to pretend I know what to expect from Phillips. All I know is he is a dynamic talent that has an extremely high ceiling. I can’t imagine Akwawa or Jefferson are going to come here and provide immediate help. Those are guys that have a nice future, but likely redshirt or see very few minutes.

My only point is we don’t seem to be in a good spot (that we know of, info is scare) with any of the portal guys. If you miss on Phillips, the only impact player we’ll have added to the roster is Key, a guy who sat for a year after major surgery.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but I can’t imagine this team can achieve the heights of the 2021-2022 squad if the only player we add that we realistically could expect to play solid minutes is Key. I think that’s a fair assessment. We need to add 1-2 more guys who can help right away.

This is why I think projections of 8/4/2 seems like it may be his floor, honestly. I feel like the way the team is currently constructed, he has an opportunity to come in and have a freshman-year Tobias Harris type impact. He may not realize Harris's actual statistics, but no one currently on next years team is an offensive-minded scoring threat from everywhere on the floor. And we have a gap of 31.5 points to replace. To me, it feels like 14/5/2 shouldn't be considered all that far-fetched. This team needs an aggressive scoring threat off of the wing, and that is exactly what JP is. I think he can as great am impact from that spot on the floor that Kennedy Chandler did from the PG position.

My six year old just starting playing basketball last year. The parents were already out for blood
I attended a game of 10 yr old girls (my granddaughters best friend was playing and I took her) last week and it was absolutely unbelievable! A father, his father, and his brother sit behind me and screamed (yes screamed) at a precious girl on the court most of the first half. This sweet girl was clearly shaken by this. After a loooonnng stare by me (I just felt so sorry for the kid) to those men the father FINALLY figured it out. He apologized to me, told his dad and brother to stop, and settled down to apparently enjoy the rest of the game. I told him I didn’t think I was the one he needed to apologize to. He agreed. Bordered on sick and I had some explaining to do to my granddaughter on the car ride home.

I’m not going to pretend I know what to expect from Phillips. All I know is he is a dynamic talent that has an extremely high ceiling. I can’t imagine Akwawa or Jefferson are going to come here and provide immediate help. Those are guys that have a nice future, but likely redshirt or see very few minutes.

My only point is we don’t seem to be in a good spot (that we know of, info is scare) with any of the portal guys. If you miss on Phillips, the only impact player we’ll have added to the roster is Key, a guy who sat for a year after major surgery.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but I can’t imagine this team can achieve the heights of the 2021-2022 squad if the only player we add that we realistically could expect to play solid minutes is Key. I think that’s a fair assessment. We need to add 1-2 more guys who can help right away.
Getting Olivier back healthy is pretty huge imo, almost like a high level portal addition

Nobody knows, but I’m hoping Aidoo and Mashack take huge steps forward next season to become solid rotational players. Add ON coming back 100% healthy with some more skill improvements and Key performing close to his pre-injury level and I don’t think it’s a stretch for us to be as good as last season without any more additions. Phillips would be great to have also. JMO of course.

This is why I think projections of 8/4/2 seems like it may be his floor, honestly. I feel like the way the team is currently constructed, he has an opportunity to come in and have a freshman-year Tobias Harris type impact. He may not realize Harris's actual statistics, but no one currently on next years team is an offensive-minded scoring threat from everywhere on the floor. And we have a gap of 31.5 points to replace. To me, it feels like 14/5/2 shouldn't be considered all that far-fetched. This team needs an aggressive scoring threat off of the wing, and that is exactly what JP is. I think he can as great am impact from that spot on the floor that Kennedy Chandler did from the PG position.

I thought something along the lines of 12/4 would be reasonable given what we've lost and Phillips' skill set. That's middle of the pack with Kennedy Chandler. Keon Johnson, and Jaden Springer.

Reactions: cncchris33
I thought something along the lines of 12/4 would be reasonable given what we've lost and Phillips' skill set. That's middle of the pack with Kennedy Chandler. Keon Johnson, and Jaden Springer.
And that's why I'm not high on cats like Phillips. He's going to arrive at his chosen school with an eye on the draft and one foot out the door. I'm more a fan of the Villanova approach. Get very good basketball players that you'll have for multiple years and grow 'em. Got no taste for one and dones especially now that we have to operate a budget in paying these players. If I can get 2 really good players for the same amount of money and they might have multiple years here, I'd take that in a heartbeat over a one and done type. Yeah, I'm a "get off my lawn" type, but to these old eyes, it makes more sense both on the floor and financially.

And that's why I'm not high on cats like Phillips. He's going to arrive at his chosen school with an eye on the draft and one foot out the door. I'm more a fan of the Villanova approach. Get very good basketball players that you'll have for multiple years and grow 'em. Got no taste for one and dones especially now that we have to operate a budget in paying these players. If I can get 2 really good players for the same amount of money and they might have multiple years here, I'd take that in a heartbeat over a one and done type. Yeah, I'm a "get off my lawn" type, but to these old eyes, it makes more sense both on the floor and financially.

The Villanova approach worked because Jay Wright has been the best coach in NCAA basketball for the last decade. There aren't many of him around.

If we're being honest, 90% of the kids who arrive on campus arrive with an eye on the draft and one foot out the door. The problem is, only a small fraction of those kids actually have the ability to dictate that move. A ton of kids would leave at the first opportunity if given the chance, but their actual talent doesn't warrant it, so we celebrate their dedication to sticking around 3-4 years.

VN Store

Back