'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

I feel like he’s the type that is going to piss off/aggravate many uneducated fans, he may just average 9/10ppg but with his measurables that’s enough to have him be a lottery pick. Kendall Brown at Baylor this year as a freshman has very similar measurables to Phillips, averaged 10/5/2 on 34% shooting from deep, he would flash dominance but for the most part a nice role player on a good team, most of our fan base would be scratching their heads trying to figure out why he was a 5 star and starting threads saying no way he’s ready for the NBA.

I find it odd that you seem to be fairly mild on Phillips’ impact next season. Each hypothetical you pose has essentially been a scenario where he isn’t that good. Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think it’s far-fetched to think he can have a Kennedy Chandler impact and be a 14/6/5 type of guy.

I understand he is a freshmen. He’s going to need time to mature like any young product, I just don’t understand this assumption that kind of sets him up to be a disappointment before he has even touched campus. You don’t seem to be very high on him, and I’m trying to understand why.

Reactions: Ryno14
I find it odd that you seem to be fairly mild on Phillips’ impact next season. Each hypothetical you pose has essentially been a scenario where he isn’t that good. Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think it’s far-fetched to think he can have a Kennedy Chandler impact and be a 14/6/5 type of guy.

I understand he is a freshmen. He’s going to need time to mature like any young product, I just don’t understand this assumption that kind of sets him up to be a disappointment before he has even touched campus. You don’t seem to be very high on him, and I’m trying to understand why.
A freshman who provides 10/5/2 on the wing isn’t a disappointment to me. If he creates space for shooters, allows JJJ to play other positions, and fits the system, that’s a great add. I also wouldn’t rule out the potential for more from him. A 6 8” guy with his skills is rare.

A freshman who provides 10/5/2 on the wing isn’t a disappointment to me. If he creates space for shooters, allows JJJ to play other positions, and fits the system, that’s a great add. I also wouldn’t rule out the potential for more from him. A 6 8” guy with his skills is rare.

I’m not saying those numbers are a disappointment though. I wasn’t really clear. I just mean BTO is framing every argument as if he will be a disappointment. That’s not how I see this going.

I’m having a hard time agreeing that he is as talented as Chandler and Johnson. I’m not saying they aren’t, but what makes Phillips the one who is just as talented? I know Keon wasn’t a great shooter, but why is this guy just as talented. I just don’t find myself all in on him like most.
The athleticism is very similar and the basketball skill is exponentially better. Just watch some film of Phillips. Keon was all potential but he was very raw from a skills standpoint. Phillips is much more developed in that area, is 3-4 inches taller, and in the same neighborhood in terms of athleticism.

Reactions: cardvolfan

Case in point, 10/5/2 shouldn’t be considered a disappointment, and yet it will. How many P5 freshman averaged 14/6/5 last year??

Exactly…I would gladly take that from him, and hope the potential is there for some more in some meaningful games, but those numbers aren’t a disappointment.

See my other post. I wasn’t clear in my argument. I’m just saying you frame your numbers as if they are a disappointment which was confusing me.
Not at all, I was saying 10/5/2 would be good numbers, good enough to likely be a lottery pick…you replied that there’s no reason he can’t be 14/6/5, as if to suggest that 10/5/2 would be a disappointment.

The athleticism is very similar and the basketball skill is exponentially better. Just watch some film of Phillips. Keon was all potential but he was very raw from a skills standpoint. Phillips is much more developed in that area, is 3-4 inches taller, and in the same neighborhood in terms of athleticism.

Phillips is not in the same neighborhood in athleticism. Keon broke the combine record for standing and max vertical leap, also has the 3rd fastest 3 quarter sprint in the last decade. He's one of the best athletes in the NBA.

Nothing in JP's film suggests he's even close.

Not at all, I was saying 10/5/2 would be good numbers, good enough to likely be a lottery pick…you replied that there’s no reason he can’t be 14/6/5, as if to suggest that 10/5/2 would be a disappointment.

I’m not suggesting that those numbers would be a disappointment. I should have been more clear in my post. Sometimes I hit “send” before thoroughly dissecting my argument and seeing if it makes sense. I think 10/5/2 would be a very solid debut season. Those are numbers better than Zakai had and I think most are seeing that as a huge success. I was just simply arguing that I don’t think it is outlandish to see him do more. He’s a special talent similar to Chandler and he can play the 3 or 4 which gives him more chances to see the floor and more opportunities to excel.

Phillips is not in the same neighborhood in athleticism. Keon broke the combine record for standing and max vertical leap, also has the 3rd fastest 3 quarter sprint in the last decade. He's one of the best athletes in the NBA.

Keon is the best natural athlete that I’ve seen in orange. Phillips is a different bird. He’s much more developed and much more at ease scoring.

I’m not suggesting that those numbers would be a disappointment. I should have been more clear in my post. Sometimes I hit “send” before thoroughly dissecting my argument and seeing if it makes sense. I think 10/5/2 would be a very solid debut season. Those are numbers better than Zakai had and I think most are seeing that as a huge success. I was just simply arguing that I don’t think it is outlandish to see him do more. He’s a special talent similar to Chandler and he can play the 3 or 4 which gives him more chances to see the floor and more opportunities to excel.
Counterargument would be that he won’t have the ball in his hands nearly as much as Chandler and a strong likelihood he won’t be getting as many mpg as Chandler…Johnson & Springer both played off ball and didn’t get close to what Chandler did. Could he get to 14ppg sure, he could also be a BHH and be around 4ppg, I was just saying that a solid season would be around 10ppg and that majority of our fan base is uneducated and would bash him for 10ppg and say he’s not a one and done.

Counterargument would be that he won’t have the ball in his hands nearly as much as Chandler and a strong likelihood he won’t be getting as many mpg as Chandler…Johnson & Springer both played off ball and didn’t get close to what Chandler did. Could he get to 14ppg sure, he could also be a BHH and be around 4ppg, I was just saying that a solid season would be around 10ppg and that majority of our fan base is uneducated and would bash him for 10ppg and say he’s not a one and done.

I guess that is a fair assessment. Our fans will bash literally any player regardless of their star rating so I’m not as concerned there. Hell, we still have some idiots saying Santi isn’t an SEC caliber player for unknown reasons.

I have confidence that although JP isn’t a point guard, Barnes will scheme up the offense to get the ball in his hands as much as possible IF Phillips is as good as his ranking suggests. He will be one of the only true 3 level scoring threats on the roster, so he might not need to have the ball in his hands as much as a PG to get 14 points.

Disagree. His ability to navigate in traffic at the rim and change his body angle demonstrate really, really good athletic traits. He's not going to threaten Keon's historic combine numbers, but he isn't Dane Bradshaw, either. He can jump and plays above the rim quite frequently. I'm not saying he's the fastest player or the most explosive leaper, but he's an excellent athlete. I'd suggest watching more film and not fixate on the idea of athleticism solely being defined as leaping ability and speed.

Case in point, 10/5/2 shouldn’t be considered a disappointment, and yet it will. How many P5 freshman averaged 14/6/5 last year??

0 freshmen averaged that last year. In fact, only 9 players overall averaged that, and only 1 of those was P5 (Alondes Williams from Wake Forest).

0 freshmen averaged that last year. In fact, only 9 players overall averaged that, and only 1 of those was P5 (Alondes Williams from Wake Forest).

Okay, I was just tossing out hypothetical numbers. I didn’t really extensively research the hypothetical for posing it. My bad. I should have just left it at the fact I think Phillips is a special talent like Chandler rather than throw numbers at the wall which is distracting from the point I was trying to make. That point is simply that I think Phillips has the talent to make a Chandler-type impact on this team.

Disagree. His ability to navigate in traffic at the rim and change his body angle demonstrate really, really good athletic traits. He's not going to threaten Keon's historic combine numbers, but he isn't Dane Bradshaw, either. He can jump and plays above the rim quite frequently. I'm not saying he's the fastest player or the most explosive leaper, but he's an excellent athlete. I'd suggest watching more film and not fixate on the idea of athleticism solely being defined as leaping ability and speed.

I've watched practically every video on JP on YouTube. Julian is a better basketball player, he's just not comparable to Keon in terms of athleticism. Phillips is also 6'8 with a 7 foot wingspan, so playing above the room isn't exactly difficult. Keon is only 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan.

Leaping ability/ speed are both big factors in judging athleticism. That's why they're 3/5 of the main drills at the combine.

Chris Webber and Derrick Rose were 15ppg Freshmen. It’s not common.

Jabari Smith, too. Although it’s completely ridiculous and unfair for anyone to expect Phillips to be that level of player. But, yes it is quite rare. To be clear, I’m not saying he should be expected to get 14 PPG. Just that I think he has the talent to do so.

VN Store

Back