'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

Show of hands; who logged on to VolNation with the explicit intent of discussing the women of 70's television series in the Julian Phillips thread, this morning? Asking for a friend. šŸ˜

Funny that this coincides with a discussion about old movies in the baseball forum. As for this thread, that's what Phillips gets for letting this drag on so long to allow the topics to devolve.

Anyone got an On3 sub? Iā€™d be interested to see what their homer insiders are thinking.

Five-star foward/wing Julian Phillips will announce his commitment on Thursday, and Auburn hopes heā€™s the final piece of its 2022 recruiting class puzzle.
Auburn already has signed four-star point guard Tre Donaldson, four-star shooting guard Chance Westry, five-star power forward Yohan Traore and top center transfer Johni Broome, but is looking for one more.
Auburn is looking for Phillips and continues to be in a good spot to get him.
Phillips, from Blythewood, S.C., has a final group of Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, Tennessee, USC, Overtime Elite and G-League Ignite, but his recruitment ultimately will come down to the Tigers and Volunteers.
Phillips took an official visit to Tennessee in September. He visited Auburn in late April.
Heā€™s now done with visits and will announce his decision in three days. A time for the announcement has not been disclosed.
Phillips communicates daily with Auburn coaches
Phillips has gone quiet since leaving his visit to Auburn on April 27. Information has been hard to find.
[ Phillips talks Auburn visit, upcoming decision ]
I do know Auburn continues to communicate daily with Phillips. Open communication leading up to an announcement typically is a good sign that, at the least, he hasnā€™t ruled out your school.
Steven Pearl, Ira Bowman and Bruce Pearl all are recruiting Phillips. Bruce Pearl has taken over as the point man in Phillipsā€™ recruitment. Auburnā€™s head coach obviously wants Phillips badly.
There wonā€™t be any last-minute in-home visits this week. The basketball quiet period began April 29, two days after Phillips left his Auburn visit. So, in-person off-campus contact no longer is allowed.
I donā€™t expect to hear much buzz leading up to Phillipsā€™ announcement on Thursday. As I said last week, this one could go either way and I still feel that way today. Auburn sources remain confident they have a good shot, but Iā€™m guessing Tennessee sources probably do, too.
On3ā€™s Jamie Shaw recently wrote: ā€œThose close to the situation like where Tennessee stands as of this writing, but history shows you cannot count Auburn out down the stretch.ā€
[ Shawā€™s Scoop: Latest intel, predictions on top uncommitted 2022 recruits ]
Bottom line: Nobody really knows anything concrete. That includes me.
On3ā€™s scouting report of Phillips:
ā€œHas good positional size with natural length. A quick leaper with explosive pop. Very instinctive offensive rebounder has a nose for extra possessions. Needs to continue gaining strength, especially in his base and coreā€”attacks closeouts well in straight lines. Jump shot is becoming a reliable weapon off the catch. Like to see him get into his shot off the bounce a little quicker. Plays upright off the bounce. Good off-ball cutter. High IQ player, give great effort. Plays well off one and two dribbles.ā€
Could Auburn turn to Fisher should it miss on Phillips?
Should Auburn miss on Phillips, it would have one scholarship available to fill for its 2022-23 roster.
Several subscribers have asked about the possibility of Elijah Fisher being an option.
Fisher is the No. 5-ranked shooting guard in the 2023 class, but could reclassify to the 2022 class. Auburn has been mentioned as a potential landing spot.
[ Fisher has Auburn, others on his mind ]
Short answer here is ā€œno.ā€
I donā€™t expect Auburn to make a push for Fisher should he reclassify to 2022.

Five-star foward/wing Julian Phillips will announce his commitment on Thursday, and Auburn hopes heā€™s the final piece of its 2022 recruiting class puzzle.
Auburn already has signed four-star point guard Tre Donaldson, four-star shooting guard Chance Westry, five-star power forward Yohan Traore and top center transfer Johni Broome, but is looking for one more.
Auburn is looking for Phillips and continues to be in a good spot to get him.
Phillips, from Blythewood, S.C., has a final group of Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, Tennessee, USC, Overtime Elite and G-League Ignite, but his recruitment ultimately will come down to the Tigers and Volunteers.
Phillips took an official visit to Tennessee in September. He visited Auburn in late April.
Heā€™s now done with visits and will announce his decision in three days. A time for the announcement has not been disclosed.
Phillips communicates daily with Auburn coaches
Phillips has gone quiet since leaving his visit to Auburn on April 27. Information has been hard to find.
[ Phillips talks Auburn visit, upcoming decision ]
I do know Auburn continues to communicate daily with Phillips. Open communication leading up to an announcement typically is a good sign that, at the least, he hasnā€™t ruled out your school.
Steven Pearl, Ira Bowman and Bruce Pearl all are recruiting Phillips. Bruce Pearl has taken over as the point man in Phillipsā€™ recruitment. Auburnā€™s head coach obviously wants Phillips badly.
There wonā€™t be any last-minute in-home visits this week. The basketball quiet period began April 29, two days after Phillips left his Auburn visit. So, in-person off-campus contact no longer is allowed.
I donā€™t expect to hear much buzz leading up to Phillipsā€™ announcement on Thursday. As I said last week, this one could go either way and I still feel that way today. Auburn sources remain confident they have a good shot, but Iā€™m guessing Tennessee sources probably do, too.
On3ā€™s Jamie Shaw recently wrote: ā€œThose close to the situation like where Tennessee stands as of this writing, but history shows you cannot count Auburn out down the stretch.ā€
[ Shawā€™s Scoop: Latest intel, predictions on top uncommitted 2022 recruits ]
Bottom line: Nobody really knows anything concrete. That includes me.
On3ā€™s scouting report of Phillips:
ā€œHas good positional size with natural length. A quick leaper with explosive pop. Very instinctive offensive rebounder has a nose for extra possessions. Needs to continue gaining strength, especially in his base and coreā€”attacks closeouts well in straight lines. Jump shot is becoming a reliable weapon off the catch. Like to see him get into his shot off the bounce a little quicker. Plays upright off the bounce. Good off-ball cutter. High IQ player, give great effort. Plays well off one and two dribbles.ā€
Could Auburn turn to Fisher should it miss on Phillips?
Should Auburn miss on Phillips, it would have one scholarship available to fill for its 2022-23 roster.
Several subscribers have asked about the possibility of Elijah Fisher being an option.
Fisher is the No. 5-ranked shooting guard in the 2023 class, but could reclassify to the 2022 class. Auburn has been mentioned as a potential landing spot.
[ Fisher has Auburn, others on his mind ]
Short answer here is ā€œno.ā€
I donā€™t expect Auburn to make a push for Fisher should he reclassify to 2022.
Him going quiet to Auburn has to be a good sign IMO. Especially given how long that has been.

Reactions: Ryno14
Whatā€™s a fair statistical expectation for freshman Phillips?
247 same rank last year:
Kendall Brown Baylor 27mpg 9.7ppg 4.9rpg

Rivals same rank last year:
Peyton Watson UCLA 12.7mpg 3.3ppg 2.9rpg

On3 same rank last year:
Hunter Sallis Gonzaga 13.6mpg 4.3ppg 2.0rpg

I donā€™t feel like doing multiple years, Iā€™m sure there are outliers in both directions, but my point being Iā€™m not sure many folks will have ā€œrealisticā€ expectations.

That's almost impossible to predict, but you know I will, anyway. 8 ppg, 4 rpg and 2 assists
Would be fair imo, which is where my point was driving to, if thatā€™s what he brings are we really gonna sit back and say thatā€™s the difference between a successful/not successful offseason? If those are his numbers then increased minutes for JJJ/Nkahmoua almost certainly matches that production imo. Not saying I donā€™t want him or that it wouldnā€™t add versatility/depth, but I donā€™t see him as elevating us much as a team unless he is just an absolutely baller lotto pick type.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Would be fair imo, which is where my point was driving to, if thatā€™s what he brings are we really gonna sit back and say thatā€™s the difference between a successful/not successful offseason? If those are his numbers then increased minutes for JJJ/Nkahmoua almost certainly matches that production imo. Not saying I donā€™t want him or that it wouldnā€™t add versatility/depth, but I donā€™t see him as elevating us much as a team unless he is just an absolutely baller lotto pick type.
The thing is, if we miss on Julian, can we find someone who can match that? 8 points can be the difference between winning and losing many games.
also, mock drafts show Phillips going at 15th, which is similar to where Chandler was mocked around this time last year.

The thing is, if we miss on Julian, can we find someone who can match that? 8 points can be the difference between winning and losing many games.

Thatā€™s what I said in my post, if you miss on him it likely means a few more minutes for JJJ/Nkahmoua and maybe Key, I think those guys likely could match those numbers.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Thatā€™s what I said in my post, if you miss on him it likely means a few more minutes for JJJ/Nkahmoua and maybe Key, I think those guys likely could match those numbers.
Will those extra minutes not hurt them though? I think we saw last year guys get tired from playing so many minutes. I personally am skeptical on Key. If heā€™s legitimately fully healthy heā€™ll be a huge addition, but weā€™ve seen what shoulder injuries can do. Especially here at Tennessee.

VN Store

Back