'22 NY PF Tobe Awaka (Tennessee commit)

Plavsic isn’t going anywhere. The staff loves his toughness, I think last year made that clear. Aidoo/Plavsic/ORN will get most of the post minutes. I think you’re also going to see this team run a lot of 4-guard lineups and small ball which means less minutes for post players. That will be especially true if we somehow land Hunter.

Personally, I think it’s a GOOD problem to have to not make your freshmen play unless they are first round talents. I remember how we all wish we had let Kyle Alexander redshirt and how big it would have been to get an extra year of him. This team doesn’t really “need” Awaka to for us be good next year. We will need him down the line.
The sad thing is with the transfer portal now in play, I think it's going to be a lot harder to keep guys for 4 years, let alone 5. I mean just look at this year, we lost 3 freshmen (BHH, QD, Tamba) to the transfer portal. I hate that's the way it is now, but sadly I think its going to be hard to keep guys here longterm to develop anymore. Out of the huge newcomer class last year (Zeigler, Aidoo, Mashack, QD, Tamba, BHH, Chandler, Powell), we only kept 3 out of the 8 from Year 1 to Year 2. I hope that isnt a trend but its hard to see it not be.

Edit: Chandler was a good loss since he went to the NBA but still

Aidoo’s presence on the defensive end, primarily shot-blocking and his long arms are impressive. But offensively he is very raw in all elements of the game. Coach Barnes and his staff have a lot of work to do, teaching fundamental low post footwork to Jonas. If he’s committed to putting in the work, Aidoo should easily be the most improved Vol next season because he has the farthest to go.
Biggest obstacles for Aidoo are his knees and S/C. He resolves those issues and he's gonna be fun to watch.

The sad thing is with the transfer portal now in play, I think it's going to be a lot harder to keep guys for 4 years, let alone 5. I mean just look at this year, we lost 3 freshmen (BHH, QD, Tamba) to the transfer portal. I hate that's the way it is now, but sadly I think its going to be hard to keep guys here longterm to develop anymore. Out of the huge newcomer class last year (Zeigler, Aidoo, Mashack, QD, Tamba, BHH, Chandler, Powell), we only kept 3 out of the 8 from Year 1 to Year 2. I hope that isnt a trend but its hard to see it not be.

Edit: Chandler was a good loss since he went to the NBA but still

I agree that the transfer portal complicates things, but I am hopeful that the staff will continue to adjust to ensure they know how to manage it. If Awaka comes in, dominates, and deserves to be on the floor, then by all means I hope they play him. But, I also hope that the staff won't just play him out of fear that he'll transfer if we don't.

I also think that this season is a bit different than last season. It was pretty evident that if you were on the 2021-2022 squad, minutes were going to be hard to come by in 2022-2023 if you didn't already play as we practically returned every meaningful minute outside of Fulky and Chandler (prior to the transfers). There is a clear path to playing time in 2023-2024 for those that are willing to work and not run. It is safe to say that we lose JJJ/Vescovi/Phillps/Key and possibly ORN/Plavsic depending on their decisions. That is almost your entire core rotation gone. Guys like Awaka, Jefferson, and Maschack will all have a clear path to major minutes if they develop. That wasn't the case from last year's team to this year's team. QD and Tamba likely are still riding the bench. Maybe even Powell.

Jonas Aidoo had a rough year on the offensive side of the ball, and despite that still graded out far better than BHH did (and Aidoo didn't have the benefit of playing against lesser quality competition in the non-conference schedule).

Aidoo's offensive rating was 102.7 per 100 possessions compared to 92.7 for BHH. Aidoo's Offensive Box +/- was -0.6 compared to BHH's -1.5. That's not even mentioning that Aidoo was a far better defender with a 90.6 defensive rating and a 2.9 DBPM compared to 94.0 and 1.4 (which was 15th out of 16 players for us) for BHH. Aidoo's net rating of +12.1 is better than BHH's of +1.3 (saying per 100 possession's we were 12.1 points better with Aidoo on the floor), and Aidoo's BPM of 2.3 is far better than BHH's of -0.1 (which again was 15th out of 16 players, so shoutout Isaiah Sulack for saving him). Clearly Aidoo was a far better shot blocker with a block % of 8.2 compared to 3.3 for BHH. Aidoo was also our best rebounder per Total Rebound % at 16.2 compared to BHH's 13.4. Imagine when he actually adds some weight to his frame. He also has him beat on Win Shares per 40, but I think I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. The point is BHH was not even a decent player, below average by SEC standards. I think we will actually see addition by subtraction, particularly if ON is healthy all year long.

I agree that the transfer portal complicates things, but I am hopeful that the staff will continue to adjust to ensure they know how to manage it. If Awaka comes in, dominates, and deserves to be on the floor, then by all means I hope they play him. But, I also hope that the staff won't just play him out of fear that he'll transfer if we don't.

I also think that this season is a bit different than last season. It was pretty evident that if you were on the 2021-2022 squad, minutes were going to be hard to come by in 2022-2023 if you didn't already play as we practically returned every meaningful minute outside of Fulky and Chandler (prior to the transfers). There is a clear path to playing time in 2023-2024 for those that are willing to work and not run. It is safe to say that we lose JJJ/Vescovi/Phillps/Key and possibly ORN/Plavsic depending on their decisions. That is almost your entire core rotation gone. Guys like Awaka, Jefferson, and Maschack will all have a clear path to major minutes if they develop. That wasn't the case from last year's team to this year's team. QD and Tamba likely are still riding the bench. Maybe even Powell.
That's very true, and honestly, I think the staff did a great job with that concerning Zeigler, he came in and dominated in practice and deserved to see the floor even if the Staff hadn't originally planned on it. I agree I don't think we should play someone just out of fear they will transfer, we should play the guys that is going to win the game

As excited as I am about Awaka’s and Aidoo’s potential, along with having Plavsic and his size — I am excited to see how good ON will be this upcoming season ? Prior to his injury , it was clear to me the light bulb had gone on for ON and I believe he is clearly our best big man to start next season.

Jonas Aidoo had a rough year on the offensive side of the ball, and despite that still graded out far better than BHH did (and Aidoo didn't have the benefit of playing against lesser quality competition in the non-conference schedule).

Aidoo's offensive rating was 102.7 per 100 possessions compared to 92.7 for BHH. Aidoo's Offensive Box +/- was -0.6 compared to BHH's -1.5. That's not even mentioning that Aidoo was a far better defender with a 90.6 defensive rating and a 2.9 DBPM compared to 94.0 and 1.4 (which was 15th out of 16 players for us) for BHH. Aidoo's net rating of +12.1 is better than BHH's of +1.3 (saying per 100 possession's we were 12.1 points better with Aidoo on the floor), and Aidoo's BPM of 2.3 is far better than BHH's of -0.1 (which again was 15th out of 16 players, so shoutout Isaiah Sulack for saving him). Clearly Aidoo was a far better shot blocker with a block % of 8.2 compared to 3.3 for BHH. Aidoo was also our best rebounder per Total Rebound % at 16.2 compared to BHH's 13.4. Imagine when he actually adds some weight to his frame. He also has him beat on Win Shares per 40, but I think I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. The point is BHH was not even a decent player, below average by SEC standards. I think we will actually see addition by subtraction, particularly if ON is healthy all year long.
It’s almost like our fans look at stars rather than on court performance and think because one player was a 5 star that makes him automatically better in comparison…dumb

Can someone point me to the best video of him playing. The video I saw of him was of him mostly shooting really short shots from below the rim. You know, we had a below the rim player that didn't work out here recently. I like his competitiveness and rebounding ability against high school players, but does his game translate? I'm not convinced yet that he is SEC level.

Someone please show me convincing video. TIA

You can sit there and name off all these analytics all you want, but numbers don't tell the full story, man. Aidoo looked like a lost giraffe half the time he was out there. BHH had some mental mistakes but he was also a full year younger. There was a reason BHH started. We don't beat Auburn without him.

If you think BHH was "not even a decent player" then I respectfully question your ability to discuss basketball.

Reactions: jarnol32
It’s almost like our fans look at stars rather than on court performance and think because one player was a 5 star that makes him automatically better in comparison…dumb

On court performance would suggest BHH was the better player. Dumb.

Aidoo is an 82% free throw shooter while BHH shot 60%…their numbers from the floor are always skewed due to put back dunks and layups but as far as shooting from 15 feet and out I’d take Aidoo honestly
Kennedy Chandler is a 60% FT shooter. Still taking Aidoo?

Maybe if Aidoo was a better rebounder he would have played more, idk.
I’ve watched both play I can tell which player wants to live in the paint and which one doesn’t…one played more minutes so the fact that Aidoo was able to come close stat wise while also playing less minutes and missing out a good portion of practice and games to start the year due to illness tells me all I need to know about which player has more potential

VN Store

Back