'22 NY PF Tobe Awaka (Tennessee commit)

There’s probably not a height to maturity correlation, but asking any 17 year old to jump to college after their junior year is a risk. Awaka is by every account a mature kid who is a great team player.
Is his case like ZZ in which he is actually reclassifying back to his original class? In other words, would 2022-23 have been a prep year for him had he not enrolled in college?

This guy can handle the ball and get his shot. Plays with leverage, also. Let's get him!!

In his commitment comments, he refers to himself as a 2023 commit, though. It seems as if he was taking a year to prep in hopes of landing more offers, like ZZ had planned to do.
Guess we’ll have to see when they add his profile on the UT site?

In his commitment comments, he refers to himself as a 2023 commit, though. It seems as if he was taking a year to prep in hopes of landing more offers, like ZZ had planned to do.
I can’t say with high level of confidence which class he’s in, looking at the info. You may be right that this would be HS/Prep year five.

Reactions: cncchris33
@cncchris33 I’m thinking a very good comp to Tshiebwe. I think he has a great motor and desire. In addition, the kid is highly intelligent and well-grounded. I think we just sneaked another through the back door.

Let's not toss around comparisons to a National Player of the Year. I feel like that is going to set unrealistic expectations for the kid. I'm excited for him and think he'll be a nice piece in 2 years, but I highly doubt he ever reaches NPOY status. That's an echelon reserved for a select few.

Let's not toss around comparisons to a National Player of the Year. I feel like that is going to set unrealistic expectations for the kid. I'm excited for him and think he'll be a nice piece in 2 years, but I highly doubt he ever reaches NPOY status. That's an echelon reserved for a select few.
Ummm, I didn’t say he was going to be POY. Where did I say that? I made comments talking about the way he plays in a way that seems similar to Tshiebwe. Your extrapolation process is a bit skewed.

Ummm, I didn’t say he was going to be POY. Where did I say that? I made comments talking about the way he plays in a way that seems similar to Tshiebwe. Your extrapolation process is a bit skewed.

Fair enough. My bad. I just know many will hear "He reminds me of Tshiebwe" and then when he doesn't get 20 rebounds a game get upset. He does seem to rebound with an aggression that this team needs, so I'll be interested to see if that translates.

Reactions: cardvolfan
"This past year, Awaka was the New York Player of the Year. He averaged 19.2 points and 13.9 rebounds in high school ball. Also, Awaka is a member of the New York Lightning AAU team, which produced Zeigler."

“Tobe Awaka is a tremendous talent. No other team in the league has a weapon like him. He’s big, strong, physical and great around the basket. He’s effective from the perimeter too. Defensively, he rebounds everything and is a major presence as a rim protector.

Me likey.

VN Store

Back