'22 NY PF Tobe Awaka (Tennessee commit)

@Jimmy Football - I'll respond to the point you're making.

Honestly, I would see a situation where even if the younger brother requested that opportunity; Barnes and his staff potentially wouldn't pursue it. Not because they'd want to hurt the Zeigler family or anything; but because they would know it wouldn't be best for the younger brothers future. I truly think that Barnes would turn it down if he thought it was legitimately better for him and his development/future to be a scholarship player at another HM program. I don't think he'd be selfish about wanting him to walk on just to appease him or Zakai.

That being said, if he's anything like his older brother; he wants to compete and play and bring value. Not sure that happens from a PWO spot at UT anywhere near the level it could as a scholarship player at another HM.

He "won" your argument of a hypothetical situation haha

You know what they say:

FIBXKGSWYAAYZKU.jpg

Never my point. If he’s got good options, he should take them.

If he doesn’t, and he wants to be here, my whole point is we shouldn’t foreclose it if we don’t end up having a scholarship spot. That was what I was responding to in my original post.

I mean, the Zieglers are well liked around here. He and his brother could make a mint on endorsements. The stories write themselves.
The issue then becomes why would we commit ~$200k (4 years out of state tuition, room and board) in NIL funds to a kid who wasn't good enough to warrant a single P5 offer? Seems like you'd have to really be convinced he's a legit talent who fell thru the cracks.

Reactions: Jimmy Football
@Jimmy Football - I'll respond to the point you're making.

Honestly, I would see a situation where even if the younger brother requested that opportunity; Barnes and his staff potentially wouldn't pursue it. Not because they'd want to hurt the Zeigler family or anything; but because they would know it wouldn't be best for the younger brothers future. I truly think that Barnes would turn it down if he thought it was legitimately better for him and his development/future to be a scholarship player at another HM program. I don't think he'd be selfish about wanting him to walk on just to appease him or Zakai.

That being said, if he's anything like his older brother; he wants to compete and play and bring value. Not sure that happens from a PWO spot at UT anywhere near the level it could as a scholarship player at another HM.

Appreciate the response. I don’t think Barnes would go for it either, but I don’t know that. It would surprise me if it happened, but I don’t to think it’s so outlandish as to be unworthy of discussion (which to be fair, I ended up getting plenty of discussion on it).

The issue then becomes why would we commit ~$200k (4 years out of state tuition, room and board) in NIL funds to a kid who wasn't good enough to warrant a single P5 offer? Seems like you'd have to really be convinced he's a legit talent who fell thru the cracks.

Fair point.

Reactions: cncchris33
Appreciate the response. I don’t think Barnes would go for it either, but I don’t know that. It would surprise me if it happened, but I don’t to think it’s so outlandish as to be unworthy of discussion (which to be fair, I ended up getting plenty of discussion on it).

To be fair your first couple posts on the topic definitely seemed to suggest you thought it was a legit possibility…

No reason he couldn’t be an NIL-supported walkon.

Why? If it’s between that or not a take, why wouldn’t it benefit all parties?

We’ve got like 10-12 guys on the football team who are doing this, and a decent number are going to play and have their school paid for.

It’s a new day. Acting like you can’t use NIL to add roster spots beyond scholarship spots is archaic thinking at this point.

Navy Shuler is out of state and is a walk on. Family ties are obvious, but that's kind of the point. Was already at the HM D1 program on scholarship.

I guess I should also say, I don't really care, just trying to point out it could happen.

These are the kinds of prospects that I love… a hard-working, under the radar guy with a moxie and toughness that is contagious to the rest of the team.

Getting this guy would certainly ease the disappointment if we lost out on Phillips, but each has something unique to bring to the table. Let’s get both!

“Under the radar guy”. Not all of these under the radar guys are diamonds in the rough. Misses are more frequent than finding the diamond. Color me unimpressed.

Hey now, as a current student at App State I would say we are one of the top mid major football programs and have been turning out a pretty good number of NFL picks for a non P5. I also may be biased lol, but App has only been D1 for like 8 years

Mid-Major =/= High Major

Am I missing something? Armoni Zeigler seems to only have 4 offers, Albany, Bryant, Denver & Nebraska. Granted Nebraska is technically in a power 5 conference but for basketball I'm not sure how desirable that situation would be.

Also just a few months back wasn't their discussion about the Zeigler family relocating to TN anyway? Wouldn't that then make him and the family in-state?

He's still got a year of ball though so he may get more offers in the future...if I'm Zakai though I tell him to focus on his senior year and playing good ball. Wait for the right fit to come before committing anywhere (because if he commits now may see less offers come in).

Reactions: volsgb95
App State is most definitely not a HM

Had offers to Duke & Wake Forest out of HS though, both of them are in a Power 5 conference...didn't take either of those offers and went to App State instead. (I mention those offers outta HS because it's hard to find who offers kids that are in the transfer portal, all seems to be rumor/speculation until they pick a spot)

Had offers to Duke & Wake Forest out of HS though, both of them are in a Power 5 conference...didn't take either of those offers and went to App State instead. (I mention those offers outta HS because it's hard to find who offers kids that are in the transfer portal, all seems to be rumor/speculation until they pick a spot)
Him picking App State would suggest those other 2 offers likely weren’t commitable, as you know most offers in football rarely are commitable.

Him picking App State would suggest those other 2 offers likely weren’t commitable, as you know most offers in football rarely are commitable.
How realistic is landing Awaka? I know Maryland is trying really hard, but if their our main competition we have to be one of the favorites!

How realistic is landing Awaka? I know Maryland is trying really hard, but if their our main competition we have to be one of the favorites!
Like I said before gotta see how he wants to do things, if he’s ready to take visits and decide offer current offers I would think we’ve got a good chance. If he decides to keep playing EYBL and try to get more offers it will be a wait and see imo.

Like I said before gotta see how he wants to do things, if he’s ready to take visits and decide offer current offers I would think we’ve got a good chance. If he decides to keep playing EYBL and try to get more offers it will be a wait and see imo.

How often do kids in his situation become successful? It's rare for seniors to still be playing aau ball at this point. He's a year older than most kids, correct?

I will say his HS film looks really promising and he's incredibly fluid and skilled for somebody his size, though I'm not sure how good of competition he's playing.

Just worried his EYBL success is due to him being older than most.

How often do kids in his situation become successful? It's rare for seniors to still be playing aau ball at this point. He's a year older than most kids, correct?
I think this may be another case of kids having gone unnoticed due to Covid and a cancelation of AAU ball for parts of 2020 and 2021.

I'd say the "hit" rate is generally pretty low, but over the past two years, I think you'd see a jump if you were to graph it.

VN Store

Back