'22 NY PF Tobe Awaka (Tennessee commit)

I mean neither of them created any offense at all. I admit I'm doing a bit of projecting with Aidoo lob threat ability, but you're right neither showed much. Aidoo doesn't have be a low post threat or dribble if he can hit put back dunks and run in transition. Pop a little shot that he showed glimpses of when left open as well. I saw very very few moments of that from BHH. He also had double the turnover percentage as Aidoo. The guy was just extremely underwhelming. I didn't want to harp on it while he was a Vol, but now he's a quitter.

BHH is a completely different mold of player. Saying Aidoo does things better his position requires doesn't prove anything. It's like comparing Myles Turner to Julius Randle.

BHH has a higher TO% because he has the ball more in play-making situations. It's not rocket science

Aidoo was a near liability on offense. His NBA ceiling is probably higher but players like BHH will always be more successful in college.

And BHH wasn't a liability? BHH was terrible at offense and defense. Aidoo at least contributed in one facet of the game.

No hard feelings, I like you as a poster. Just a firm disagreement on this one.

And BHH wasn't a liability? BHH was terrible at offense and defense. Aidoo at least contributed in one facet of the game.

No hard feelings, I like you as a poster. Just a firm disagreement on this one.

This is my last contribution to this conversation, but do we win @ Au and vs UK in the tourney without BHH's contribution on offense?

Reactions: Special Ed
You guys can die on the BHH hill, im rolling with the guy who barely was able to practice to start out the year and still managed close to the same amount of scoring average and rebounding in less minutes
I'm not dying on a hill for him. I already said, and provided reasoning for why I'd take Aidoo. I'm just challenging you to support your opinion that he's a better shooter because your proof, right now, is conveniently suited to strengthen your argument, but in reality is quite flimsy.

BHH is a completely different mold of player. Saying Aidoo does things better his position requires doesn't prove anything. It's like comparing Myles Turner to Julius Randle.

BHH has a higher TO% because he has the ball more in play-making situations. It's not rocket science

He had a near 20% TO ratio as a post player. That's not good. With an almost identical usage rate.

This is my last contribution to this conversation, but do we win @ Au and vs UK in the tourney without BHH's contribution on offense?

He had 2 buckets against Auburn? He had a good game against MSU and UK. True.

You can sit there and name off all these analytics all you want, but numbers don't tell the full story, man. Aidoo looked like a lost giraffe half the time he was out there. BHH had some mental mistakes but he was also a full year younger. There was a reason BHH started. We don't beat Auburn without him.

If you think BHH was "not even a decent player" then I respectfully question your ability to discuss basketball.
Grow up, BHH was awful. Numbers tell the full story, because BHH was not good, and you want him to be better than he was. Aidoo looked lost, sure, and that was still better than what BHH gave us.

Out of SEC players that played at least 26 games (which doesn't even include ON or Tolu Smith for Miss State), he was 93 out of 120 in PPG, 72 in RPG, 52 in BPG behind several PGs, his PER was 114 out of every single person that recorded a minute for an SEC team (212), BPM was 150 out of 212. BHH did not contribute to winning, He is below average for a big in pretty much every stat. Your evidence to him being useful was a game in which he scored 5 points, and allowed the opposing PF to score 27. He started because our starter got injured, and Barnes wanted to motivate Fulky to play better (plus a Fulky/Uros lineup certainly didn't work). He's older than Grant was when he was a freshman (who didn't turn 18 until a full month into the season).

You contribute nothing except for subjective nonsense and yet question my ability to discuss basketball?

I don't know that we beat Kentucky here without Aidoo. He absolutely dominated Tshiebwe defensively when he was on the floor against him and had 5 points, 7 boards and 3 blocks while only commiting one foul. He was a big part of Tshiebwe going 5-15 from the field. Tshiebwe shot 60 percent from the floor this season and that game was one of two games all year he shot under 40 percent.

He actually played really good defense against the Michigan big man during his brief stint in the game. No one else did at all.

The ceiling is sky high for him at the 5.

Awaka will probably be low on the minutes totem next season but if we can get 3/3 out of him and him not be a liability on defense I'd be happy. If he does more, that's just a bonus.

These are the kinds of prospects that I love… a hard-working, under the radar guy with a moxie and toughness that is contagious to the rest of the team.

Getting this guy would certainly ease the disappointment if we lost out on Phillips, but each has something unique to bring to the table. Let’s get both!
This aged very well!!
😉
GBO!!

Reactions: TrapVol
Grow up, BHH was awful. Numbers tell the full story, because BHH was not good, and you want him to be better than he was. Aidoo looked lost, sure, and that was still better than what BHH gave us.

Out of SEC players that played at least 26 games (which doesn't even include ON or Tolu Smith for Miss State), he was 93 out of 120 in PPG, 72 in RPG, 52 in BPG behind several PGs, his PER was 114 out of every single person that recorded a minute for an SEC team (212), BPM was 150 out of 212. BHH did not contribute to winning, He is below average for a big in pretty much every stat. Your evidence to him being useful was a game in which he scored 5 points, and allowed the opposing PF to score 27. He started because our starter got injured, and Barnes wanted to motivate Fulky to play better (plus a Fulky/Uros lineup certainly didn't work). He's older than Grant was when he was a freshman (who didn't turn 18 until a full month into the season).

You contribute nothing except for subjective nonsense and yet question my ability to discuss basketball?

One thing to keep in mind is BHH should’ve been a senior in high school this year. That’s a pretty big jump in competition for a kid his age. That takes time.

Maybe I’m off base but I thought his shooting drastically improved as the season progressed.

Lastly, comparing him to Grant, age or otherwise, is kind of unfair. The jury is still out on BHH.

The same posters that act like Barnes can do no wrong are claiming BHH sucked, even though their savior started him. So Barnes was wrong to start him?

The same posters that act like Barnes can do no wrong are claiming BHH sucked, even though their savior started him. So Barnes was wrong to start him?
What other options did we have? I mean I wish we would've gone small to start off games, but that was never really under consideration. It was in theory worth the risk, but I have no problem saying that it was a mistake to continue starting him.

One thing to keep in mind is BHH should’ve been a senior in high school this year. That’s a pretty big jump in competition for a kid his age. That takes time.

Maybe I’m off base but I thought his shooting drastically improved as the season progressed.

Lastly, comparing him to Grant, age or otherwise, is kind of unfair. The jury is still out on BHH.
My point is the age can't just be used a crutch. He's not the first kid to do that, and being born in August would typically be on the edge of which school year you would be in.

As for shooting % from SEC on was 45.8% from the field and 11% from 3 (24 games). - 3.4 ppg

His shooting % in the non-conference slate was 52.1% from the field and 25% from 3 (11 games). - 5.0

He played slightly better in tournament time, shooting 50% from the floor (but not making a 3), in those 5 games. -6.2 ppg

That being said, just in the regular season conference play he shot 37.3% from the field and 12.5% from 3 (19 games). -2.6 ppg

Only averaged 2.6 ppg in regular season SEC compared 5.0 in the non-conference

So unfortunately, no. If anything he drastically regressed as the season went on, except for a decent run in the tournament(s).

What other options did we have? I mean I wish we would've gone small to start off games, but that was never really under consideration. It was in theory worth the risk, but I have no problem saying that it was a mistake to continue starting him.
We had Aidoo, who posters are claiming was better than BHH.

VN Store

Back