2027 recruiting

Parents are coaching at USJ in Jackson now. She didn’t play up last year, but she may be this year, not really sure

Checking their web site …. Listed as a II A classification. She is listed on the varsity roster as an 8th grader ! I’ll try and find out who they play ?

Checking their web site …. Listed as a II A classification. She is listed on the varsity roster as an 8th grader ! I’ll try and find out who they play ?
Her mother is the former Ashley McElhaney, star PG for Vanderbilt, from Gleason, TN. Haylen will be one of the top players in the country for the class of 2027. Another one will be Lauren Hassell, daughter of NBA star Trenton Hassell, from Clarksville TN. Would love to see both as Lady Vols... great girls from great families!

Mom Ashley (McElhiney) also earned acclaim becoming the first female to coach a men’s pro bball team—the Nashville Rhythm of the ABA in 2004.

As PG at Vandy, she gave us fits, accounting for countless assists to 6-6 Chantelle Anderson and providing just quality generalship and poise for her team—even early in her career. She owns at least a couple of wins against the Lady Vols—one an SEC Tournament victory.

It is very encouraging to see that family donning all that Orange! Fingers crossed that we land this prospect….

Mom Ashley (McElhiney) also earned acclaim becoming the first female to coach a men’s pro bball team—the Nashville Rhythm of the ABA in 2004.

As PG at Vandy, she gave us fits, accounting for countless assists to 6-6 Chantelle Anderson and providing just quality generalship and poise for her team—even early in her career. She owns at least a couple of wins against the Lady Vols—one an SEC Tournament victory.

It is very encouraging to see that family donning all that Orange! Fingers crossed that we land this prospect….
Let's not forget the foreign scorer she had to pass to as well . Zuzy Klimesova , back in the vandy power house days .

Let's not forget the foreign scorer she had to pass to as well . Zuzy Klimesova , back in the vandy power house days .
Powerhouse days? Vandy, a team that has zero regular season conference championships, was NEVER a powerhouse, nor will they ever be! 🤣🤣🤣

Powerhouse days? Vandy, a team that has zero regular season conference championships, was NEVER a powerhouse, nor will they ever be! 🤣🤣🤣
Lol yes they were Coach foster days , along with the early years of Balcom . Vandy was always a S16 elite 8 team for years back then . Of course they didnt win conference championships because UHH US *WE**TENNESSEE were the big dogs in the SEC and they could never get past us. They represented the SEC very well every year in the NCAA's .

Lol yes they were Coach foster days , along with the early years of Balcom . Vandy was always a S16 elite 8 team for years back then . Of course they didnt win conference championships because UHH US *WE**TENNESSEE were the big dogs in the SEC and they could never get past us. They represented the SEC very well every year in the NCAA's .
Yes. That 1993 Final Four team appeared to have all the pieces to win it all in Atlanta with Heidi Gillingham, Misty Lamb, Mara Cunningham, Julie Powell, and Rhonda Blades, but no team could figure out Sheryl Swoopes and eventual NC TTU. Vandy was the #1 team for several weeks that season and won the SEC Tournament, which was a relevant feat considering the depth of competition in the conference back then. Many coaches suggested that it was harder to win the SEC Tournament than it was to win the NC. Most following women’s basketball in the early ’90’s thought of Vandy as a powerhouse—regular season title or not.

Yes. That 1993 Final Four team appeared to have all the pieces to win it all in Atlanta with Heidi Gillingham, Misty Lamb, Mara Cunningham, Julie Powell, and Rhonda Blades, but no team could figure out Sheryl Swoopes and eventual NC TTU. Vandy was the #1 team for several weeks that season and won the SEC Tournament, which was a relevant feat considering the depth of competition in the conference back then. Many coaches suggested that it was harder to win the SEC Tournament than it was to win the NC. Most following women’s basketball in the early ’90’s thought of Vandy as a powerhouse—regular season title or not.
Agreed , i hated matching up with them but loved how Pat always managed to steal the victory . Id say we may have lost to them one time during the regular season when they had Chantelle Anderson but they never beat us when it counted. Vandy was definitely a powerhouse and would have most likely been the premiere SEC team if we were not there along with Georgia , Arkansas , Alabama, Florida in those days .

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
Powerhouse equates to competing for national championships. Vandy has never competed for a national championship even in their one final four year! Nice try though! Obviously your standards are quite low!!

That 1993 UT-Vandy matchup was maybe the most hyped up regular season game I can remember. For weeks Vanderbilt was ranked #1, Tennessee was #2, both were undefeated and headed toward that collision course, and every day the local papers had soundbites from local celebrities, former Vols, Commodores, etc. leading up to the game. It was a standing room sellout crowd at Memorial Gym, to the point even the Vanderbilt Chancellor couldn't get in. Spoiler alert: Tennessee won. 😈

Vandy was arguably the program's biggest rival in the early 90's until UConn came to power, to the point both programs agreed to add a second non-conference game every season back when they only played each conference team once...

Very passionate, heated and competitive rivalry then. We had about 9 (out of 11 on roster) who were former Parade AA’s. We had 7 Tennesseans on our roster. You had the Shelbyville element (Lamb, Woosley, and Michelle Johnson). Jim Foster wasn’t very likable either. Miss those days…

Reactions: mcannon1
Powerhouse equates to competing for national championships. Vandy has never competed for a national championship even in their one final four year! Nice try though! Obviously your standards are quite low!!
We get it …after the 3rd repost I can tell you these are your standards and your opinion in regards to power house. Kind of clear as well that you were not of age at that time to have any idea of the kind of teams Vandy use to field in there hay days. I’ll let you make your own measure and I’ll continue with mines . They were a powerhouse in the SEC and nationally during the time I spoke of.

Reactions: 007Racer
We get it …after the 3rd repost I can tell you these are your standards and your opinion in regards to power house. Kind of clear as well that you were not of age at that time to have any idea of the kind of teams Vandy use to field in there hay days. I’ll let you make your own measure and I’ll continue with mines . They were a powerhouse in the SEC and nationally during the time I spoke of.
I was at that FF where Swoopes couldn’t be stopped, and I would be willing to bet I’ve been to more FFs than you. I’m very much aware of the history of women’s basketball both nationally and the SEC, and Vandy has NEVER been a powerhouse in spite of your ridiculous claims! The more you speak, the more abundantly clear it is that you are completely uninformed!

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I was at that FF where Swoopes couldn’t be stopped, and I would be willing to bet I’ve been to more FFs than you. I’m very much aware of the history of women’s basketball both nationally and the SEC, and Vandy has NEVER been a powerhouse in spite of your ridiculous claims! The more you speak, the more abundantly clear it is that you are completely uninformed!
Bet how much? I’m ready I promise ♥️🤞🏾

I’ll provide some FACTS to substantiate my claims rather than just flippant, off the cuff feelings from you. Foster won only 72% of his games at Vandy. That winning percentage gets much worse when only conference games are considered at a paltry 61%. In his eleven seasons, he had only two 30-win seasons and either missed the NCAAs or lost in or before the second round in three of those seasons. As for Balcomb, she is even worse. She won only 68% of her games overall and a pitiful 57% of her in conference games. She had ZERO 30 win seasons, and either missed the NCAAs or lost in or before the second round in ten of her 14 seasons. Real powerhouse numbers there!! Please stop with your stupidity!!

Vanda was always and still is a heate
I’ll provide some FACTS to substantiate my claims rather than just flippant, off the cuff feelings from you. Foster won only 72% of his games at Vandy. That winning percentage gets much worse when only conference games are considered at a paltry 61%. In his eleven seasons, he had only two 30-win seasons and either missed the NCAAs or lost in or before the second round in three of those seasons. As for Balcomb, she is even worse. She won only 68% of her games overall and a pitiful 57% of her in conference games. She had ZERO 30 win seasons, and either missed the NCAAs or lost in or before the second round in ten of her 14 seasons. Real powerhouse numbers there!! Please stop with your stupidity!!
D rivalry. They just never quite had the skill level players to take the next step..

VN Store

Back