2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I’ll be the one getting roasted because I seem to be the only one that doesn’t see this guy as an SEC player. The dudes he’d be playing against are light years better, bigger, and faster than guys you see him playing in this reel. Maybe he could grow into that type of player, but I just don’t see the quickness needed.
No one really knows, but are we really risking much? He's going to be a guy who hopefully can spell ZZ for what 5-7 min per game? He's certainly not going to impact Boswell nor would he scare off the top recruits folks imply that we're in on next year. Worst case, he's a backup this year then he portals out next season. If not him, we're looking at Boswell who doesn't have the handle this kid does....at least to my eye. If Boswell can't handle it next year, it falls to Gainey, Mashack and perhaps Lanier in a pinch. Can't imagine the blow if we lose ZZ for any real length of time.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
No one really knows, but are we really risking much? He's going to be a guy who hopefully can spell ZZ for what 5-7 min per game? He's certainly not going to impact Boswell nor would he scare off the top recruits folks imply that we're in on next year. Worst case, he's a backup this year then he portals out next season. If not him, we're looking at Boswell who doesn't have the handle this kid does....at least to my eye. If Boswell can't handle it next year, it falls to Gainey, Mashack and perhaps Lanier in a pinch. Can't imagine the blow if we lose ZZ for any real length of time.
You’re right. It’s not really a risk. I wasn’t saying we shouldn’t take him, was just sharing my very pedestrian observation, which means nothing. I’ll never question this staff as gas as knowing who they think can play. There have been more hits than misses in the Barnes era.

I’ll be the one getting roasted because I seem to be the only one that doesn’t see this guy as an SEC player. The dudes he’d be playing against are light years better, bigger, and faster than guys you see him playing in this reel. Maybe he could grow into that type of player, but I just don’t see the quickness needed.
Who would have thought Vescovi during his freshmen year would have turned out to be as good of a perimeter defender as he was? He showed with hard work and the great coaching that improvement can be made. A good strength and conditioning program will help as well.

Who would have thought Vescovi during his freshmen year would have turned out to be as good of a perimeter defender as he was? He showed with hard work and the great coaching that improvement can be made. A good strength and conditioning program will help as well.
Yup redshirting and going against these guys every day for a season will help as well.

Mashack and ZZ guarding the kid? Yeah I’m sure he would be fine

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You’re right. It’s not really a risk. I wasn’t saying we shouldn’t take him, was just sharing my very pedestrian observation, which means nothing. I’ll never question this staff as gas as knowing who they think can play. There have been more hits than misses in the Barnes era.
Agree. I'd love to have a really good PG jump on board for next season with the expectation that he'd be the starter next year, but in the portal/NIL era that's just not going to happen. If we're lucky enough to grab a kid, it will be someone who is a bit off the radar who might be able to make the jump, but wouldn't be expecting a lot of minutes. All the recruiting gurus keep saying that the staff won't do anything that might impact the PG recruiting next year, but it had better be a really, really special HS kid to come in, embrace the defensive intensity and grasp the offense in this league and start. I just have to believe it's not going to be a HS kid but a portal guy with multiple years left to play. How does a coach get a really good PG recruit to come in behind a veteran and learn/develop these days?

Absolutely. As I said, my observation means nothing. It’s just that, some moron’s observation/opinion

Agree. I'd love to have a really good PG jump on board for next season with the expectation that he'd be the starter next year, but in the portal/NIL era that's just not going to happen. If we're lucky enough to grab a kid, it will be someone who is a bit off the radar who might be able to make the jump, but wouldn't be expecting a lot of minutes. All the recruiting gurus keep saying that the staff won't do anything that might impact the PG recruiting next year, but it had better be a really, really special HS kid to come in, embrace the defensive intensity and grasp the offense in this league and start. I just have to believe it's not going to be a HS kid but a portal guy with multiple years left to play. How does a coach get a really good PG recruit to come in behind a veteran and learn/develop these days?
And that’s the thing, getting a guy that’s an instant difference maker at this level, who also is willing to play single digit minutes all season, isn’t likely. I get that.

Yup redshirting and going against these guys every day for a season will help as well.

Mashack and ZZ guarding the kid? Yeah I’m sure he would be fine
I’m not trying to argue here, but that’s doesn’t necessarily mean player will be fine. BJ Edwards practiced against studs all year. Pember did the things you mentioned. That doesn’t guarantee success. He may very well be fine, but coming in and practicing against great pampers doesn’t guarantee he will be fine. Plenty of guys go to big time programs and doing the things you listed shows they aren’t going to cut it at high level schools. It can go both ways. Anyway, all I said was that I wasn’t sure he had the quickness to be an SEC point guard. I’m wrong all the time, and usually I’m glad to be wrong, and this would be one of those occasions.

VN Store

Back