2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Like others pointed out... Reuben and Dailey are two different positions. I do like his size and defensive ability, he seems very active in 483 minutes he grabbed 174 rebounds and blocked 45 shots, Awaka in 458 minutes grabbed 160 rebounds. Aidoo in his 893 minutes blocked 66 shots.

But I think Reuben is a "if Aidoo leaves" type of transfer, would be nearly impossible to land him without an open competition to start at the 5 IMO

Dailey is a 4 that can play the 5 in small ball, but could also play the 3 at times.

So I'm not comparing them really "head to head" I'm just saying based on roster (as of today) I can see Dailey being an easier fit and player to get. I'd take Reuben immediately though if Aidoo portals out.
I wonder if an open competition is what it’s going to take for Aidoo to be who we need him to be for a final four run. He was great this year the majority of games, and has gotten better each year, but whether it was Purdue, Kansas, UConn, Kentucky, miss st, scar, etc any team with a dominant big or physical interior presence Aidoo didn’t/wouldnt currently hold a candle to. I honestly think he needs to add 20+ pounds and have a mentality shift if he’s going to realize his potential at the position.

Reactions: Native Orange
I know this has been said, but I think losing Aidoo is a big negative. It’ll be interesting to see how this week’s talks go. I think we’ll hear about some players entering the portal Friday/Monday/Tuesday. If Aidoo stays, it’s going to be close to impossible to sign a big. Obviously, we’d all like to see a 7.5 foot monster or even a 6 10” guy with aggression and body strength. That said, Aidoo is a 12/8/2 guy who knows the offense and fits the system. Playing a blend of four out or 4 and 5 in will give us flexibility against different opposing lineups. I’m not sure there is an upgrade available in the portal now. Aidoo has to become a consistent threat to hit fifteen feet in, and has to have a game for playing back to the basket against taller guys. He was improving at both, but folded in both tournaments. He is a finesse guy. He’s never going to bang, but a finesse guy can still get more points, blocks, rebounds than he does. His pick and roll game and his low screen cuts are all better. ZZ knows and trusts where he’s going. That hasn’t always been the case. My wish is that we upgrade our guard game with wings who can shoot and drive and play team defense. Our bigs aren’t a perfect group, but many coaches would happily take the combo of Aidoo, Awaka, and Estrella. I also mentioned that preseason practice yielded a lot of Estrella and Cade stretching the baseline. I didn’t see it at all in the season, but it’d be a great weapon if they can hit out there, and cut to the basket from their on pg drives. I know some would like Aidoo to move on. I’m in the frustrated, but keep him group. I think he’s part of the core.
I dont' disagree with anything you said, but my question is does Aidoo want to be here? Was he ill or was he already one foot out the door? How do you just finish the season...tournament season like he did? I know we can't replace him if he leaves, but Reuben would be a young, very physical post with a huge wingspan who would be a nice replacement to bring on and grow over the next 2-3 years.

I know this has been said, but I think losing Aidoo is a big negative. It’ll be interesting to see how this week’s talks go. I think we’ll hear about some players entering the portal Friday/Monday/Tuesday. If Aidoo stays, it’s going to be close to impossible to sign a big. Obviously, we’d all like to see a 7.5 foot monster or even a 6 10” guy with aggression and body strength. That said, Aidoo is a 12/8/2 guy who knows the offense and fits the system. Playing a blend of four out or 4 and 5 in will give us flexibility against different opposing lineups. I’m not sure there is an upgrade available in the portal now. Aidoo has to become a consistent threat to hit fifteen feet in, and has to have a game for playing back to the basket against taller guys. He was improving at both, but folded in both tournaments. He is a finesse guy. He’s never going to bang, but a finesse guy can still get more points, blocks, rebounds than he does. His pick and roll game and his low screen cuts are all better. ZZ knows and trusts where he’s going. That hasn’t always been the case. My wish is that we upgrade our guard game with wings who can shoot and drive and play team defense. Our bigs aren’t a perfect group, but many coaches would happily take the combo of Aidoo, Awaka, and Estrella. I also mentioned that preseason practice yielded a lot of Estrella and Cade stretching the baseline. I didn’t see it at all in the season, but it’d be a great weapon if they can hit out there, and cut to the basket from their on pg drives. I know some would like Aidoo to move on. I’m in the frustrated, but keep him group. I think he’s part of the core.

Yep, I agree there's no clear cut upgrade in the portal over Aidoo. There's some good bodies that have youth and potential, but I don't think I'd take anyone as a plug and play replacement for what Aidoo brings. And I think next year he's going to improve even more. He faced the best of the best bigs and has an entire off-season to study HIS tape against them and figure out how he can improve. I'd love to see him react quicker when back to the rim & take advantage of their physical play and learn to make a quick spin and go up strong once they commit. Grant was an absolute MASTER of this and it's why at 6'7" he was able to score so efficiently in the paint.

I wonder if an open competition is what it’s going to take for Aidoo to be who we need him to be for a final four run. He was great this year the majority of games, and has gotten better each year, but whether it was Purdue, Kansas, UConn, Kentucky, miss st, scar, etc any team with a dominant big or physical interior presence Aidoo didn’t/wouldnt currently hold a candle to. I honestly think he needs to add 20+ pounds and have a mentality shift if he’s going to realize his potential at the position.

A big part of it, I think is he hasn't figured out yet how to defend a physical offensive big.

Cause all those games he struggled he got in foul trouble and was frustrated.

First game against South Carolina only played 21 minutes, picked up 4 fouls and only scored 6 points shooting 25%
Second game at South Carolina he played 31 minutes, only had 1 foul scored 14 and grabbed 9 rebounds shooting 46.2%

Against Broome he scored 14 with 7 rebounds and shot 60%, still fouled out though so all that was in 28 minutes per game

at Mississippi State fouled out after 20 minutes
vs Purdue first time fouled out after 13 minutes
at UNC fouled out after 21 minutes, but still scored 13 points

But like others have pointed out when he's facing non physical bigs he takes advantage
at Bama 12 points 7 rebounds
vs Bama 19 points 4 rebounds 4 blocks
vs Florida 19 points and 10 rebounds
vs Ole Miss 24 points and 10 rebounds
at Arkansas 23 points and 12 rebounds

It was just frustrating that in the biggest game of the year, the Elite Eight in a rematch with Edey we got 0 points in 10 minutes and he only had 3 fouls. Maybe him and Santi both were just down with the flu, but the team isn't going to make excuses.

I dont' disagree with anything you said, but my question is does Aidoo want to be here? Was he ill or was he already one foot out the door? How do you just finish the season...tournament season like he did? I know we can't replace him if he leaves, but Reuben would be a young, very physical post with a huge wingspan who would be a nice replacement to bring on and grow over the next 2-3 years.
Aidoo was supposedly sick for Purdue, but that doesn't explain MSU, or other games where he faded. I think he wants to be here. He, ZZ, Mashack etc are very close. Aidoo took the loss to Purdue very hard. Not surprisingly, that was a really sad locker room with the Seniors going etc. I think he took the loss as his fault, from what I hear. I know the same teams will sweet talk him this year. He is not a perfect fit in our system, and he's heard that. I think MOCO is right. He can pick up three to five more points a game if he'll read the pressure and react immediately. He has a nice hook, and drop step move, but he gets eaten when he backs people down on the dribble (and also loses the ball). He also just got tight late in the season, not just with superior bigs. He should have a green light to shoot or kick if he gets it in the lane. Dallying kills his odds of making good things happen.

I think that last part you mentioned is key. How do we take these practice reps and implement them during the games? To me, the shot form looks good with Aidoo. He seems to have touch. To take another step offensively, it'll be the bigs being able to step out and stretch the floor a bit more.

What Miami does with Bam at the elbows and top of the key would be actions Aidoo could possibly do. He's got a decent enough jumper and feel for the game to run DHO actions and get into 15 ft jumpers.

I also agree getting more athletic and better scoring punch from the wings is the other need. I don't want to bring in more than 1-2 guys, as I believe in Carr, Estrella, Mashack being able to provide more next year. We need 1-2 impact guys, and we can be right back in the mix.

Yeah Johnell has been on the WANT list since he lit us up last year.

Shot 46% or better from the field all 4 years, has improved his 3PT% every season and is now a career 36.6% guy, a 84.5% FT shooter and rebounds at an elite level for a guard. Even though he's the off ball guard he got a lot of assists this season too and he's been good for a steal a game over his whole career. And he was a 18.2 ppg this season.

He's a guard that's always produced no matter how low his minutes were and with more minutes he's climbed to better production...for a 1 year DK type replacement he's without a doubt the best portal player available. And he's 6'4" 203lbs guy so no worry about being too small to do it in the SEC.

He'd be a fantastic pickup. I'd prefer him over Lanier, and it isn't really that close, to be honest.
I don't think he's going to enter our orbit, but I wish he would. His dream school was IU. They, Illinois and Michigan are all right there, and he's testing NBA waters as well. He's a great fit. Wish he'd give us a look.

I don’t want Aidoo to move on. I like him. I want him to realize his potential and stop trying to play like a guard in the paint. We have guards. We need guys that can defend at and finish at the rim and not back down from anyone.

Is he going to vastly improve his athletic ability? Is he going to gain 20lbs of muscle? Is he going to acquire a reliable shot from outside?

If he can’t acquire at least one of these then realistically how much better can he get? I personally don’t see any of those happening in just one off season.

He’s not athletic enough to beat similarly sized guys over the top, too weak to play bully ball and can’t consistently shoot from 3.

I’ve never seen a 7 footer get stuffed at the rim as often as he has.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his ten foot baseline jumper. It didn’t fall in the Purdue game. Is what it is.

On the same page about my main gripe which is that he’s not as physical as your main interior player needs to be.

A big part of it, I think is he hasn't figured out yet how to defend a physical offensive big.

Cause all those games he struggled he got in foul trouble and was frustrated.

First game against South Carolina only played 21 minutes, picked up 4 fouls and only scored 6 points shooting 25%
Second game at South Carolina he played 31 minutes, only had 1 foul scored 14 and grabbed 9 rebounds shooting 46.2%

Against Broome he scored 14 with 7 rebounds and shot 60%, still fouled out though so all that was in 28 minutes per game

at Mississippi State fouled out after 20 minutes
vs Purdue first time fouled out after 13 minutes
at UNC fouled out after 21 minutes, but still scored 13 points

But like others have pointed out when he's facing non physical bigs he takes advantage
at Bama 12 points 7 rebounds
vs Bama 19 points 4 rebounds 4 blocks
vs Florida 19 points and 10 rebounds
vs Ole Miss 24 points and 10 rebounds
at Arkansas 23 points and 12 rebounds

It was just frustrating that in the biggest game of the year, the Elite Eight in a rematch with Edey we got 0 points in 10 minutes and he only had 3 fouls. Maybe him and Santi both were just down with the flu, but the team isn't going to make excuses.
I don’t have the answers but I know it starts with strength training which helps with your base and standing your ground and not losing leverage when you move your feet. He also stand too upright, and gets no leverage because of it.

Tobe was damn near horizontal trying to guard edey and I give him a ton of credit. The numbers don’t really show it but he did not give up ground to edey and forced a lot of his 4 foot hooks to hit rim instead of basket. You didn’t have to block his shot, you just had to not give him the spot he wanted to shoot it from - 4 feet directly in front of the rim. To be 8 inches short than a guy and play him the way he did - with the dudes elbow in your Adams apple the whole time - was incredible. You could see Estrella take a page out of that book in the second half.

Honestly I don't think physically Aidoo needs to do anything different, another year getting stronger and bigger will help as it does with everyone.

What he really has to do is just become deceive and confident in his decisions. If you're going to take the jumper then catch and shoot, don't waste time dribbling or backing in to work into a spin fade away. Catch and shoot.

You establish position under the rim and can feel the big on your back too heavy to the top of the key, spin and dunk. Don't worry about contact, don't worry about missing. It's a very high % shot for you with your size. You'll either beat him and get a clean dunk, or he could foul still a "win" situation even if you miss the dunk, or even in a worse case you miss it but now their rim protecting big is out of position for the rebound because he had to make up ground to defend your dunk.

That's one reason Shaq was such a dominant player in his day. He was decisive when he had position and it was a mentality of "you better double or foul, cause I'm dunking this if you don't"

Yep, I agree there's no clear cut upgrade in the portal over Aidoo. There's some good bodies that have youth and potential, but I don't think I'd take anyone as a plug and play replacement for what Aidoo brings. And I think next year he's going to improve even more. He faced the best of the best bigs and has an entire off-season to study HIS tape against them and figure out how he can improve. I'd love to see him react quicker when back to the rim & take advantage of their physical play and learn to make a quick spin and go up strong once they commit. Grant was an absolute MASTER of this and it's why at 6'7" he was able to score so efficiently in the paint.
Aidoo was probably a top 10 big in all of college basketball. It was going to be next to I posible to upgrade. You can find portal guards from small schools that turn out to be high major players but you’ll rarely find a seven footer there. the guys better than him are either staying at their school or going pro. A hunter Dickinson level big man is rarer than a Dalton Knecht

I don't think he's going to enter our orbit, but I wish he would. His dream school was IU. They, Illinois and Michigan are all right there, and he's testing NBA waters as well. He's a great fit. Wish he'd give us a look.

I know they aren’t the same player, but you think after what we did for Knecht’s draft stock a score-first guard would be extremely interested in what we have to offer. Especially with an experienced PG in ZZ. I’m not sure how good of a defender Davis is, but this year showed Barnes is willing to let defense slide a bit if you offer the scoring burst needed. I also don’t think he’ll even look at us, but I think he would excel here with the returning core we have.

Honestly I don't think physically Aidoo needs to do anything different, another year getting stronger and bigger will help as it does with everyone.

What he really has to do is just become deceive and confident in his decisions. If you're going to take the jumper then catch and shoot, don't waste time dribbling or backing in to work into a spin fade away. Catch and shoot.

You establish position under the rim and can feel the big on your back too heavy to the top of the key, spin and dunk. Don't worry about contact, don't worry about missing. It's a very high % shot for you with your size. You'll either beat him and get a clean dunk, or he could foul still a "win" situation even if you miss the dunk, or even in a worse case you miss it but now their rim protecting big is out of position for the rebound because he had to make up ground to defend your dunk.

That's one reason Shaq was such a dominant player in his day. He was decisive when he had position and it was a mentality of "you better double or foul, cause I'm dunking this if you don't"
Agreed. Physically, he can add some strength and weight, but it's his nature that seems to be the issue. He's just not a physical, aggressive player. Just not the alpha type and while that may work in college, the NBA is full of alphas. Still, I do hope he stays and all this late season fading was just bright lights and/or illness. If he does leave, we could do a lot worse than Reuben.

Trey Townsend a 6’6 forward just entered the portal, another one I wouldn’t mind taking a look at. Horizon Player of the Year

Averaged 1.3 steals per game as well.

17/9 against OSU, 43%
19/10 against Illinois, 38%
17/4 against Michigan St., 42%
21/3 against Dayton, 44%
17/12 against UK, 40%
30/13 against NCST, 42%

Think he’s my number 1 want now.
@Stoerner Fumbles go get him please

Last edited:
Reactions: garyp194
Yep. He's no Dalton Knecht, but he's sure as heck a whale of a replacement. Boyhood dreams die hard and if he prefers that area good for him. Gotta think that if he did do some digging into the program, he'd have to be interested. Yeah, wishful thinking.

I know they aren’t the same player, but you think after what we did for Knecht’s draft stock a score-first guard would be extremely interested in what we have to offer. Especially with an experienced PG in ZZ. I’m not sure how good of a defender Davis is, but this year showed Barnes is willing to let defense slide a bit if you offer the scoring burst needed. I also don’t think he’ll even look at us, but I think he would excel here with the returning core we have.
He's definitely a fit. I just think it'a longshot that we'll get him to visit. Hope I am wrong.

I think Chaz Lanier is a very good player that we would be very fortunate to get. Davis, has been good at a solid school, but look at where DK was before he came to Tennessee. He was at northern Colorado in a very poor league. Looking at Lanier’s film he really wows me with his quick release on his 3s, his ability to finish above the rim is very good, his handle his very good, he also can score 3s off the dribble which is nice.

He'd be a fantastic pickup. I'd prefer him over Lanier, and it isn't really that close, to be honest.
Probably the best, proven 3 level scorer in the portal tbh. Would be a home run pickup. That said, Michigan or NBA, imo.

I think Chaz Lanier is a very good player that we would be very fortunate to get. Davis, has been good at a solid school, but look at where DK was before he came to Tennessee. He was at northern Colorado in a very poor league. Looking at Lanier’s film he really wows me with his quick release on his 3s, his ability to finish above the rim is very good, his handle his very good, he also can score 3s off the dribble which is nice.
We know already Davis can play against the big dogs though. He scored 35 against Zona if I remember correctly. I would love Lanier and I am almost positive he’s a Vol, and I get your point, but Davis has okayed the major programs. Knecht worked out great obviously, but I’d rather know a guy can handle the big guys as opposed to taking the risk and hoping. I’d take Davis over Lanier but I want Lanier more than most of the others being discussed at that position.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee

VN Store

Back