2024 Transfer Portal Thread

He was pretty inefficient for them this year. 15 points per game on 35 percent shooting from the field.

Yeah he’s a very big “all or nothing” type of player looking at his stats.

One game 3-13, 8-9 points, the next game he goes 7-11 for 25. Too inconsistent, so I’m not sad.

My biggest issue last year was no backup PG with the uncertainty about ZZ, that’s why I was always posting. Glad it worked out.

This year, I don’t care who we get. All the players we are looking at are good players other than maybe 1-2 I don’t understand (Detroit Mercy guys)

Last edited:
Reactions: CornbreadVol
Yeah he’s a very big “all or nothing” type of player looking at his stats.

One game 3-13, 8-9 points, the next game he goes 7-11 for 25. Too inconsistent, so I’m not sad.

My biggest issue last year was no backup PG with the uncertainty about ZZ, that’s why I was always posting. Glad it worked out.

This year, I don’t care who we get. All the players we are looking at are good players other than maybe 1-2 I don’t understand
Yeah honestly I think I’m in the boat of just getting 1-2 really solid depth pieces and 1 guy who can come in right away and start either at the 3/4.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
They fill different needs. Reuben is a true post. Dailey would be a JJJ replacement (albeit a little taller) at the 4.
Dailey’s coach is joining May at Michigan.
Something to watch.

Not a huge fan of Dailey. Not a defensive guy, meh FT shooter, meh 3pt guy. 50% FG is nice though.

But not seeing the JJJ comparison.

Also, go look at his stat lines vs top 25 competition.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Something to watch.

Not a huge fan of Dailey. Not a defensive guy, meh FT shooter, meh 3pt guy.

50% FG is nice though.

Not seeing the JJJ comparison
I didn’t mean they’re similar players. I mean he’s more of a 4, replacing JJJ’s position.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Gotcha, my bad.

I think we can do better than Dailey. Very meh against top 25 competition

Did play well against Creighton lol
How much of that can be contributed to playing on a bad team though and only being a freshman? I think I would be fine with Dailey, likely better players will enter though like you mentioned.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I also think we hit on our portal additions this year so we can sell some of that. Gainey was inconsistent but we saw him get hot in the tourney and he is a good on-ball defender as well.

How much of that can be contributed to playing on a bad team though and only being a freshman? I think I would be fine with Dailey, likely better players will enter though like you mentioned.

I can’t answer that because there’s freshmen across the country on bad teams that have played well against tough competition.

Something to watch.

Not a huge fan of Dailey. Not a defensive guy, meh FT shooter, meh 3pt guy. 50% FG is nice though.

But not seeing the JJJ comparison.

Also, go look at his stat lines vs top 25 competition.

33.3% from deep on 2 attempts a game isn’t meh, his FT shooting is bad though. Hope there is it’s just because of low attempts.

JJJ was a career 34.1% shooter from deep on 4 attempts a night.

I think unless someone leaves it’s going to be easier to add a wing starter than a big.

Aidoo back as a senior
Awaka back as a junior
JP & Cade entering year 2

You’re gonna struggle to sell a high level big who wants to come start somewhere. Dailey having 3 years would be a good one because you can offer him a chance to play 20 mpg still and develop with a clear path to being a starter in his last 2 seasons as Aidoo graduates and then Awaka.

I think unless someone leaves it’s going to be easier to add a wing starter than a big.

Aidoo back as a senior
Awaka back as a junior
JP & Cade entering year 2

You’re gonna struggle to sell a high level big who wants to come start somewhere. Dailey having 3 years would be a good one because you can offer him a chance to play 20 mpg still and develop with a clear path to being a starter in his last 2 seasons as Aidoo graduates and then Awaka.
Reuben will be a sophomore. Unless he’s a one and done type of underclassmen, can’t think of a better place to develop than here.

Estrella may contribute next year but Cade is still a ways off imo.

Aidoo/young promising transfer (force Aidoo to take the next step in development or be second fiddle)
Awaka/estrella
Mashack/carr
Transfer sg/dilione
Zz/gainey

Aidoo has gotten better every year but his mentality when there is someone between him and the basket is too small for someone whose 6’11”.

We need at least one person who can shoot the three and/or create their own shot. Ideally they’re the same person ala knecht.

Reuben will be a sophomore. Unless he’s a one and done type of underclassmen, can’t think of a better place to develop than here.

Estrella may contribute next year but Cade is still a ways off imo.

Aidoo/young promising transfer (force Aidoo to take the next step in development or be second fiddle)
Awaka/estrella
Mashack/carr
Transfer sg/dilione
Zz/gainey

Aidoo has gotten better every year but his mentality when there is someone between him and the basket is too small for someone whose 6’11”.

We need at least one person who can shoot the three and/or create their own shot. Ideally they’re the same person ala knecht.

Like others pointed out... Reuben and Dailey are two different positions. I do like his size and defensive ability, he seems very active in 483 minutes he grabbed 174 rebounds and blocked 45 shots, Awaka in 458 minutes grabbed 160 rebounds. Aidoo in his 893 minutes blocked 66 shots.

But I think Reuben is a "if Aidoo leaves" type of transfer, would be nearly impossible to land him without an open competition to start at the 5 IMO

Dailey is a 4 that can play the 5 in small ball, but could also play the 3 at times.

So I'm not comparing them really "head to head" I'm just saying based on roster (as of today) I can see Dailey being an easier fit and player to get. I'd take Reuben immediately though if Aidoo portals out.

I love Barnes and love his coaching. I think if Aidoo wants to play at the next level he needs to transfer to a high major team that will allow him to work on being a stretch 4...Aidoo can extend the floor he just isn't completely compatible with Barnes offense...Tobe is a an under the basket 5...Estrella developed and played better and stronger under the basket... Aidoo needs offensive development and free reign he won't get both here..

Reactions: b_gann
Aidoo has gotten better every year he been at Tennessee. Does have consistency problems, but the way Barnes develops. He will be better next year
Is he going to vastly improve his athletic ability? Is he going to gain 20lbs of muscle? Is he going to acquire a reliable shot from outside?

If he can’t acquire at least one of these then realistically how much better can he get? I personally don’t see any of those happening in just one off season.

He’s not athletic enough to beat similarly sized guys over the top, too weak to play bully ball and can’t consistently shoot from 3.

I’ve never seen a 7 footer get stuffed at the rim as often as he has.

Like others pointed out... Reuben and Dailey are two different positions. I do like his size and defensive ability, he seems very active in 483 minutes he grabbed 174 rebounds and blocked 45 shots, Awaka in 458 minutes grabbed 160 rebounds. Aidoo in his 893 minutes blocked 66 shots.

But I think Reuben is a "if Aidoo leaves" type of transfer, would be nearly impossible to land him without an open competition to start at the 5 IMO

Dailey is a 4 that can play the 5 in small ball, but could also play the 3 at times.

So I'm not comparing them really "head to head" I'm just saying based on roster (as of today) I can see Dailey being an easier fit and player to get. I'd take Reuben immediately though if Aidoo portals out.
I agree on Reuben if Aidoo departs. I know he doesn't have the kind of offensive skills that Aidoo has at this point in his young career, but he's got a crazy wingspan and he's got physicality/intensity. Given what he looks like at this point in his young career, I would love to see him come in and pair with Estrella and Awaka. Actually, he kind of looks like a bigger version of Awaka to me. Big, big yes to Reuben.

I agree on Reuben if Aidoo departs. I know he doesn't have the kind of offensive skills that Aidoo has at this point in his young career, but he's got a crazy wingspan and he's got physicality/intensity. Given what he looks like at this point in his young career, I would love to see him come in and pair with Estrella and Awaka. Actually, he kind of looks like a bigger version of Awaka to me. Big, big yes to Reuben.

To be honest I'm not even sure that's true, he was good for 4.7 ppg playing just 13.8 mpg. 61.7% FG and didn't even take a 3 call me crazy but that's exactly the sort of offensive skills I want in my big! I'd much rather a 7' that can work his way to get a dunk or layup than a fade away hook.

But I really doubt we get Rueben if Aidoo is still here, and I'm loyal to our guys so let that decision be one Aidoo makes.

Bigger less coordinated version of Awaka. I just want to see the chaos we’d cause with both on the court at the same time.

Is he going to vastly improve his athletic ability? Is he going to gain 20lbs of muscle? Is he going to acquire a reliable shot from outside?

If he can’t acquire at least one of these then realistically how much better can he get? I personally don’t see any of those happening in just one off season.

He’s not athletic enough to beat similarly sized guys over the top, too weak to play bully ball and can’t consistently shoot from 3.

It's weird, I wonder if Barnes thought Aidoo could be similar to KD. He's not, but I could see looking at him out of HS and that being the case.

The issue is that Aidoo isn't athletic enough to be stretch 4/5 or wing guy. He isn't a good enough dribbler or shooter off the bounce either. He's honestly closer to Dirk than any other big BUT even then he's no where near the shooter than Dirk was.

Jonas was second team all SEC and all defensive SEC team in his first year being the main guy at the 5. It would be ridiculous trying to recruit over him. Not gonna find someone better. Do the last two games of the year leave and sour taste, absolutely. Does that mean need to find a replacement. Hell no

It's weird, I wonder if Barnes thought Aidoo could be similar to KD. He's not, but I could see looking at him out of HS and that being the case.

The issue is that Aidoo isn't athletic enough to be stretch 4/5 or wing guy. He isn't a good enough dribbler or shooter off the bounce either. He's honestly closer to Dirk than any other big BUT even then he's no where near the shooter than Dirk was.
I saw a lot of Myles Turner IMO. 3&D 5 man, but the 3 never developed like anticipated and his athleticism never really translated to be a high level rim protector.

Reactions: berryvol
To be honest I'm not even sure that's true, he was good for 4.7 ppg playing just 13.8 mpg. 61.7% FG and didn't even take a 3 call me crazy but that's exactly the sort of offensive skills I want in my big! I'd much rather a 7' that can work his way to get a dunk or layup than a fade away hook.

But I really doubt we get Rueben if Aidoo is still here, and I'm loyal to our guys so let that decision be one Aidoo makes.
There's just something about the way the season ended for Aidoo. I know he turtles up when facing a legit big, but despite his disappearances throughout the season, to have a stretch like he had in the tournament is hard to fathom if you've got a competitive bone in your body. I'm usually wrong, but only 2 things make sense. Either he's also ill or he's gonna have new digs next season. Since there had been no word about illness until very recently, I have to think he finished the season with a foot out the door. I'd hope Barnes will start the end of season interviews sooner rather than later this year. We've got a lot of work to do in the portal IMO...especially if Aidoo leaves. Clock is ticking and guys are coming off the board all around us.

I know this has been said, but I think losing Aidoo is a big negative. It’ll be interesting to see how this week’s talks go. I think we’ll hear about some players entering the portal Friday/Monday/Tuesday. If Aidoo stays, it’s going to be close to impossible to sign a big. Obviously, we’d all like to see a 7.5 foot monster or even a 6 10” guy with aggression and body strength. That said, Aidoo is a 12/8/2 guy who knows the offense and fits the system. Playing a blend of four out or 4 and 5 in will give us flexibility against different opposing lineups. I’m not sure there is an upgrade available in the portal now. Aidoo has to become a consistent threat to hit fifteen feet in, and has to have a game for playing back to the basket against taller guys. He was improving at both, but folded in both tournaments. He is a finesse guy. He’s never going to bang, but a finesse guy can still get more points, blocks, rebounds than he does. His pick and roll game and his low screen cuts are all better. ZZ knows and trusts where he’s going. That hasn’t always been the case. My wish is that we upgrade our guard game with wings who can shoot and drive and play team defense. Our bigs aren’t a perfect group, but many coaches would happily take the combo of Aidoo, Awaka, and Estrella. I also mentioned that preseason practice yielded a lot of Estrella and Cade stretching the baseline. I didn’t see it at all in the season, but it’d be a great weapon if they can hit out there, and cut to the basket from their on pg drives. I know some would like Aidoo to move on. I’m in the frustrated, but keep him group. I think he’s part of the core.

Jonas was second team all SEC and all defensive SEC team in his first year being the main guy at the 5. It would be ridiculous trying to recruit over him. Not gonna find someone better. Do the last two games of the year leave and sour taste, absolutely. Does that mean need to find a replacement. Hell no
The kid has been unplayable since UK came to Knoxville.

Reactions: Native Orange

VN Store

Back