2024 Recruiting Thread

I am someone in the middle. I have seen too many elite athletes that are not skilled in their specific sport with good coaches that never catch fire. Perhaps this is not particularly true pre-college, but by the time you are in college you are really behind the skilled players if you haven't developed your own skill set. I think a good example is Wynn. She is an elite athlete who I think will get better while she is here, but I would be surprised if she ever will be a regular starter if we continue to get skilled transfers and recruits.

I have studied Wynn since long before she was recruited. I was watching her when she and Brooklynn were with the KY Premier AAU teams. and watched her as she played for her TX HS team. She relies on speed and uses it to dodge contact,,instead of seeking contact.

I teach contact layups in a very unique way and once the girls learn how to initiate and use the contact instead of avoiding it,,,they begin to look for someone to hit like a heat-seeking missile. . . Taught properly, you use the contact to roll "into" and "off of" the defender,,it actually aids you in your progression and landing if done right.

The key to your response is: "...with good coaches that never catch fire"
Ever watch "Survivor"...creating the spark is easy,,keeping it lit and building it to a blaze is what separates the good coach from the great coach

I have studied Wynn since long before she was recruited. I was watching her when she and Brooklynn were with the KY Premier AAU teams. and watched her as she played for her TX HS team. She relies on speed and uses it to dodge contact,,instead of seeking contact.

I teach contact layups in a very unique way and once the girls learn how to initiate and use the contact instead of avoiding it,,,they begin to look for someone to hit like a heat-seeking missile. . . Taught properly, you use the contact to roll "into" and "off of" the defender,,it actually aids you in your progression and landing if done right.

The key to your response is: "...with good coaches that never catch fire"
Ever watch "Survivor"...creating the spark is easy,,keeping it lit and building it to a blaze is what separates the good coach from the great coach

did you miss out on applying for the Laker job?

did you miss out on applying for the Laker job?
no, they missed out on me not applying
giphy.gif

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
the content of Coach Jumper' s assessment of the technique of driving and creating contact I agree with. Were I a coach I would hire ex Arkansas player Chelsea Dungee as a consultant. I would add to his assessment her ability of offering the hand with the ball before switching while in the air was superior. Dungee free throw percentage was 80% important if one draws fouls. BTW I just looked her up she is a coach at Troy currently.

the content of Coach Jumper' s assessment of the technique of driving and creating contact I agree with. Were I a coach I would hire ex Arkansas player Chelsea Dungee as a consultant. I would add to his assessment her ability of offering the hand with the ball before switching while in the air was superior. Dungee free throw percentage was 80% important if one draws fouls. BTW I just looked her up she is a coach at Troy currently.

I looked on youtube and couldn't find the drive tactic you speak of.

When the contact is made is of the essence.
It must be made as the driver is beginning the ascent off of the plant-foot. This allows the driver to use the contact as a catalyst for the body-wrap-around instead of as an obstruction to the path. Once a player understands how to use the contact properly they will stop avoiding it and start seeking it.

If you want to see a HS player from the 2024 class that knows/loves contact as part of her game, watch Joyce Edwards…she has that down already. Which ever team gets her will be fortunate indeed, and NOBODY knows where she leans. If the “rumors” are true, she is heading out of state.

I'm so excited to find out who our 2024 player is! I have no preferences and will be over the moon no matter who it is because I am supremely confident that our staff is recruiting exactly the type of young women who are perfect for the program.

How many days, on average, would y'all say it has been taking for the player to announce after the "on the move" tweets have posted? Two or three days? Longer? I suddenly can't remember if there has been a consistent pattern.

Reactions: travis929 and Lucy
View attachment 459384View attachment 459385View attachment 459386View attachment 459387View attachment 459388View attachment 459389
Hawk is being recruited as a wing player, so here is a stats comparison of her sophomore season vs. Justine’s. Remember Justine’s SO campaign was derailed by COVID toward the end. At the same point in their career Justine was shooting 38% from long range with twice as many makes.

Hawk shot 26% from deep and 36% from the floor compared to 38% and 42% respectively for Justine. Justine also has her by about 6-7” in height and can play multiple positions on both ends of the floor. That’s what this staff is after.
Agree, but if I’m seeing correctly, looks like Hawk was 45% from the floor, and Pissott was 48%.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Id rather talk about actual POI for 2024 in this thread sorry to think so farfetched...
I think HAWK is a POI, no she doesn't have an offer yet but I know from what I've seen she has Interest letters from kellie and staff and has been on the phone with kellie as well. I know she hasn't played much in front of colleges (she is late to the circuit) so maybe they have to see her play in person more than once or twice like they do other kids to get a feel for her.

I think HAWK is a POI, no she doesn't have an offer yet but I know from what I've seen she has Interest letters from kellie and staff and has been on the phone with kellie as well. I know she hasn't played much in front of colleges (she is late to the circuit) so maybe they have to see her play in person more than once or twice like they do other kids to get a feel for her.

I know people think all I do is push Madi,,,but I push any girl I work with and invest my time in. I have two 2026ers that will be in the public eye when it is their time as well.

But my allegiance is to the athlete, not the college when it comes to this. Yes I want to see my girls play for their home state and in the program that has been my program of choice for all of my adult life..But if these kids choose another program or another program chooses them, I fully back their decisions.

Madi will be eligible in 2024. In that year we will lose a lot of our talent, including two of our designated long range gunners: Tess and Rennie:
temp 001.jpg
This is why I like her as a fit for that year...But as I said, if she chooses another school or they choose her, I still fully support her and still back my Lady Vols!

Pretty convinced you’re her mother at this point.

There's a huuuge Difference between R-H-Y-N-E and Dangerfield. If your going to STAN for a player and make comparisons at least spell there name right lol.
Even then the comparisons don’t add up. Not saying the girl can’t play but to compare her to them is a total different ballgame.

VN Store

Back