2024 Recruiting Thread

Not saying I agree or disagree with him/her but the opinion on the mom is no different from anyone else’s past opinions on other parents.
I just have a question. Why does everyone get in a tizzy about parents promoting their child, or bragging on them? What is the harm?
Most parents who have any kind of involvement in their child's life does brag or promote or get excited when the child excels at something. I just don't understand why the mom was even brought into this conversation
I

If there is room for Jesse,there will be room for Madi......
That is not going to happen again anytime soon on this team i don't think. Jesse was an unknown to Kellie and she maintained the commitments she had coming in her first year. Edi is a walk on due to the Tennessee and Family ties. The SEC is a beast of a league with the strongest, fastest and most athletic players in the country year over year. Kellie seems to be going after two types of guards. Your really fast, quick, athletic point guards or the 6-2 guards that are extremely versatile and can play multiple positions and rebound, i.e., Rae Burell, Sarah Puckett, Justine Pissott, Marta Suarez, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, etc. All of these players can play the 2-4 positions if needed Look at the big guards she is recruiting now in 23 and 24. I guess what i am saying is that she seems to be looking for multidimensional players that can do it all on the court, or have the athletism to be coached into multi-dimensional players rather than the 1 trick ponies.

That is not going to happen again anytime soon on this team i don't think. Jesse was an unknown to Kellie and she maintained the commitments she had coming in her first year. Edi is a walk on due to the Tennessee and Family ties. The SEC is a beast of a league with the strongest, fastest and most athletic players in the country year over year. Kellie seems to be going after two types of guards. Your really fast, quick, athletic point guards or the 6-2 guards that are extremely versatile and can play multiple positions and rebound, i.e., Rae Burell, Sarah Puckett, Justine Pissott, Marta Suarez, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, etc. All of these players can play the 2-4 positions if needed Look at the big guards she is recruiting now in 23 and 24. I guess what i am saying is that she seems to be looking for multidimensional players that can do it all on the court, or have the athletism to be coached into multi-dimensional players rather than the 1 trick ponies.

Madi doesn't just score on 3's she is anything but a one trick pony

But I getcha
I go after the same type of players myself
The Rae, Rennia, JH,Rickea,,, super athlete that can attack or shoot and defend.

When I run my offense, I run my sets through a point-forward using a 3-pt threat to open up spacing for my bigs and rely on slashers for the bulk of my scoring.

I just have a question. Why does everyone get in a tizzy about parents promoting their child, or bragging on them? What is the harm?
Most parents who have any kind of involvement in their child's life does brag or promote or get excited when the child excels at something. I just don't understand why the mom was even brought into this conversation
I
Can’t answer this one because I’m not against any parent promoting their children. Parents make a lot of sacrifices as well and has earned the right to do so.

Reactions: sisaq
I

My Mom often said, "Son, you can do anything you put your mind and heart into." She told me this even when I carried a C average in high school, barely passing. This belief and support has followed me in all of my life and I went into each phase of my life with this internal confidence and belief in myself.

My Dad, a 13-wheeler truck driver, could fix virtually anything, from lawn mowers to cars to vacuum cleaners. He too had this faith and belief in me. His confidence and trust translated into my confidence in myself.

It was a different era, no internet ergo no public forum.

I do not fault parents for using public forums to brag or build there children...I also also do not fault parents for using the modern forums to post their child's accomplishments and accommodations...Unless it is in the "participation trophy" mindset. It is only then, that I hold the parent in contempt. . . And most of all, I respect the parent who knows how much is too much and when to let go.

Joyce Edwards is an interesting 2024 prospect. Many think because she is from SC that she will be a Gamecock. They are guessing, or hoping more likely. She is very tight lipped with answers, and some supposedly close to her say she is definitely going out of state. She may be the number one in her class again next year, and is obviously coveted by all. I for one am watching her recruitment closely.

So she has a set shot--not a classic jump shot. Set shots are impossible to get off if a defender is relatively close to you. If she is taking a lot
of shots from very deep, it may be because she has to, given how she shoots the ball.
Watch her highlights
She pulls defenders out that far bc they have to respect her out there and if they don't then boom and if they do she can blow by and pull up a 3 closer in. She isn't taking shots out there bc she has to she is taking them bc she CAN
BIG DIFFERENCE
The kid just went 21/35
In the top division
I looked up the teams and scores and her team beat a top 2024 EYBL team Fairfax stars by 17

So she has a set shot--not a classic jump shot. Set shots are impossible to get off if a defender is relatively close to you. If she is taking a lot
of shots from very deep, it may be because she has to, given how she shoots the ball.

You do realize that one of our primary faults last season was giving up 3's last year,,,right?
Im just saying

Not sure what the criticism is here. You would prefer that she take midrange jumpers?
What I saw was good 3p form with a fairly quick release. Yes, she will need to be open to shoot threes, but I don't want our players taking contested threes anyway.

Not sure what the criticism is here. You would prefer that she take midrange jumpers?
What I saw was good 3p form with a fairly quick release. Yes, she will need to be open to shoot threes, but I don't want our players taking contested threes anyway.

You need more space to get off a set shot, and that is harder to find against major-college competition. It is easier to block a set shot than a classic jump shot, because you're release point is much lower. That's a potential problem. In any case, it's important for every prospect to find a program that is a good fit. At the end of the day, she will want to play and not sit on the bench for years. The recruiting process will give her and her parents a good idea of how coaches view her skill set. Wish her well.

You need more space to get off a set shot, and that is harder to find against major-college competition. It is easier to block a set shot than a classic jump shot, because you're release point is much lower. That's a potential problem. In any case, it's important for every prospect to find a program that is a good fit. At the end of the day, she will want to play and not sit on the bench for years. The recruiting process will give her and her parents a good idea of how coaches view her skill set. Wish her well.

I can't think of even 10 NCAA WBB players that shoot a "jump shot" behind the arc. It's all set shots. But like you, I trust the staff on this one. If they like her, she'll get an offer. If not, I'm ok with it.

Hawk is good!
Red-tailed-hawk.jpg

Reactions: CP3_LVFL

You are correct but the extent of this liability depends a bit on other factors. Back in the day, I said something quite similar Shannon Bobbitt. As it turned out, however, SB was so explosively quick that defenders were terrified to play her tight on the perimeter, lest they be in her blow by dust. The same principle holds for Steph Curry who has one of the lowest shot releases of any NBA player. I don't know how quick Maddie Hawk but, you are right, players with that kind of set shot release to need more space to get their shot off.

Reactions: Bret178
Watch her highlights
She pulls defenders out that far bc they have to respect her out there and if they don't then boom and if they do she can blow by and pull up a 3 closer in. She isn't taking shots out there bc she has to she is taking them bc she CAN
BIG DIFFERENCE
The kid just went 21/35
In the top division
I looked up the teams and scores and her team beat a top 2024 EYBL team Fairfax stars by 17
Think about Kourtney Dunbar's game and her 3-point shooting ability out of high school coming into Tennessee. Came in as a 6-2 guard with an unlimited range to half court per everyone who ever said anything about her. Hoopgurlz even said "among the elite deep-range shooters in the 2014 class. (Olson)" That set shot did not translate well from high school to the SEC and she was a big strong guard with unlimited range against lesser competition. When she had players her size or even smaller players with good athleticism guard her at the college level, her shot was altered, sped up, and basically became a non-factor. Kourtney had very sketchy stats over the course of 4 years at Tennessee.

Reactions: mcannon1

were you here last y ear,,,set shooters tore us up.
ANd if you DO look at her vids, you will also see that she does not get screens for most of her shots,,she is fast enough on the draw to get it off without one.

The Madi Hawk obsession's is becoming rather overzellous. If Coach harper and Sam wanted her they would have offered her by now right ? Judging from that highlight we have Pissott who can do those things plus more .

Jealous?

I know we have Justine,,,wouldn't want to put two long range gunners on the floor, nope, bad idea...wouldn't want to pull 2 of the defenders out of the paint area for Key and co.

Coah K and Coach Sam may or may not be looking at her...But if this kid does in the collegiate ranks what she is doing in the HS ranks we will miss another Rhine/Dangerfield/etc.

This site has a good record for spotting talent and Madi isn't just in the news, she stays in the news.

You're not a fan, so just ignore the post re her,,,NP

ANd if you DO look at her vids, you will also see that she does not get screens for most of her shots,,she is fast enough on the draw to get it off without one.

Jealous?

I know we have Justine,,,wouldn't want to put two long range gunners on the floor, nope, bad idea...wouldn't want to pull 2 of the defenders out of the paint area for Key and co.

Coah K and Coach Sam may or may not be looking at her...But if this kid does in the collegiate ranks what she is doing in the HS ranks we will miss another Rhine/Dangerfield/etc.

This site has a good record for spotting talent and Madi isn't just in the news, she stays in the news.

I agree set shooters tore us a new one multiple times but hey let's not recruit and use any of those types of players.
Like you said if you had another elite long range shooter (whether that be MADI or someone else) to go with Justine
...I mean imagine the possibilities
You would either respect them or not out there and either decision would be detrimental to your team lol 😆

Jealous?

At no point did we get “torn up” by set shooters. The things you come out with sometimes…

Our opponents shot 28% from 3 on the season and I remember almost no set shooters tearing us up. In fact, teams that relied heavily on the 3 really struggled against us. We beat most of those team, like MIZzOU and Arkansas (first game) handily.

Haley Frank, one of the better set shooters in the SEC was held to 7 points and 1-3 on 3 pointers. If I remember I believe she was blocked several times in that game.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
At no point did we get “torn up” by set shooters. The things you come out with sometimes…

Our opponents shot 28% from 3 on the season and I remember almost no set shooters tearing us up. In fact, teams that relied heavily on the 3 really struggled against us. We beat most of those team, like MIZzOU and Arkansas (first game) handily.

Haley Frank, one of the better set shooters in the SEC was held to 7 points and 1-3 on 3 pointers. If I remember I believe she was blocked several times in that game.

I will not perpetuate your argument with me, but I will address your question:
TX 4-9
Va Tech 5-11
Stanford 7-16
KY 10-20
Mizzou 8-20
Miss St 8-15

Yes we held the season's culmination of foes to a combined 28%
but the teams that could actually shoot the three fared pretty well 46%
You can make numbers say what you want them to say, as can I

Reactions: allen phillips

You just obviously don't like to hear the truth .... 🙄

VN Store

Back