2024 Presidential Race

jit for an election

Yep

Reactions: InVOLuntary

‘A Hard ‘No”: Vivek Ramaswamy Shuts Down Possibility Of Having This GOP Presidential Candidate In His Cabinet​

Conservative businessman Vivek Ramaswamy dismissed the possibility of having former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley in his cabinet if elected president in 2024 during an interview released Thursday.

“That’s a hard ‘no.’ She’s a RINO who doesn’t know what time it is, and she hasn’t met a foreign war she doesn’t love. She has no vision,” said Ramaswamy. “Also, today she is critical of BLM but at the time of the riots she was busy honoring George Floyd as some kind of patron saint. She, like many Republicans, was rolling out the red carpet for BLM. She condemns antisemitism today, but she was not saying anything in 2020 when it was perfectly clear that BLM was antisemitic.” (RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: Vivek Ramaswamy Seeks To Capitalize Off Of Nikki Haley Insult With New Merchandise)

Subscriber-only Newsletter

Frank Bruni

Opinion

It’s Not the Economy. It’s the Fascism.​

Nov. 30, 2023

A bomb with a lit fuse forming an outline of Donald Trump’s profile. A digital readout on the bomb reads 20:24.

Credit...Ben Wiseman

A bomb with a lit fuse forming an outline of Donald Trump’s profile. A digital readout on the bomb reads 20:24.

By Frank Bruni
Mr. Bruni is a contributing Opinion writer who was on the staff of The Times for more than 25 years.

To spend more than a little time toggling between news sites of different bents is to notice a fierce debate over the American economy right now. Which matters more — the easing of inflation or the persistence of prices that many people can’t afford or accept? Low unemployment or high interest rates? Is the intensity of Americans’ bad feelings about the economy a sane response or a senseless funk estranged from their actual financial circumstances?On such questions may the 2024 election turn, so the litigation of them is no surprise. It’s not just the economy, stupid. It’s the public relations war over it.

But never in my adult lifetime has that battle seemed so agonizingly beside the point, such a distraction from the most important questions before us. In 2024, it’s not the economy. It’s the democracy. It’s the decency. It’s the truth.

I’m not talking about what will influence voters most. I’m talking about what should. And I write that knowing that I’ll be branded an elitist whose good fortune puts him out of touch with the concerns of people living paycheck to paycheck or priced out of housing and medical care. I am lucky — privileged, to use and own the word of the moment — and I’m an imperfect messenger, as blinded by the peculiarities of his experience in the world as others are by theirs.

But I don’t see any clear evidence that a change of presidents would equal an uptick in Americans’ living standards. And 2024, in any case, isn’t shaping up to be a normal election with normal stakes or anything close to that, at least not if Donald Trump winds up with the Republican presidential nomination — the likeliest outcome, to judge by current conditions. Not if he’s beaten by a Republican who had to buy into his fictions or emulate his ugliness to claim the prize. Not if the Republican Party remains hostage to the extremism on display in the House over these past few months.

That assessment isn’t Trump derangement syndrome. It’s straightforward observation, consistent with Liz Cheney’s new memoir, “Oath and Honor,” at which my Times colleague Peter Baker got an advance peek. Cheney describes House Republicans’ enduring surrender to Trump as cowardly and cynical, and she’s cleareyed on what his nomination in 2024 would mean. “We will be voting on whether to preserve our republic,” she writes. “As a nation, we can endure damaging policies for a four-year term. But we cannot survive a president willing to terminate our Constitution.”

Trump has been saying, doing and contemplating some especially terrifying things lately, and while many of them wash over a populace exhausted by and inured to his puerile rants, outlandish provocations and petty-dictator diatribes, they’re not just the same old same old.
They’re not just theater, either. Long gone are the days when Trump’s darkest comments and direst vows could be dismissed as perverse performance art — as huffing and puffing that wouldn’t and couldn’t amount to all that much. That soothing myth died once and for all during the final months of his presidency, when he layered the Big Lie atop the heaving mountain of little and medium-size ones and cheered on a mob making its way to the Capitol.

And the notion that he’d at some point be contained by fellow Republicans who would put up with only so much? What a quaint hope that was. Most of those Republicans cowered before him. Most still do. The two current runners-up for the Republican presidential nomination, Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis, raised their hands when they were asked, during a debate in August, about whether they’d support Trump as the party’s nominee even if he was convicted of felonies. That’s why the stakes of this election are titanic even without Trump on the ballot. The stain of him is deep and wide.

The fact of him is scarier and scarier. Last week he sent out his Thanksgiving message, a social media post whose eccentric punctuation and erratic capitalization were the typographical equivalent of spittle, at 2 a.m., and he didn’t use it to wish supporters and other Americans well. He roasted his perceived enemies, presenting a platter of slurs with all the semantic trimmings: “Radical Left Lunatics,” “Psycho,” “Marxists,” “Communists.”
Just two weeks earlier, for Veterans Day, he traded inspiration for fulmination in a speech in New Hampshire, promising to “root out the communists, Marxists, fascists and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country.” Like vermin! And the month before that, he said that undocumented immigrants were “poisoning the blood of our country.” Trump has been saying, doing and contemplating some especially terrifying things lately.

His bastard music is consequential because it’s paired with a “series of plans by Mr. Trump and his allies that would upend core elements of American governance, democracy, foreign policy and the rule of law if he regained the White House,” as Jonathan Swan, Maggie Haberman and Charlie Savage wrote in a recent Times article that all voters should read once, then read again, then commit to memory so they can refer to it constantly. Those plans include the use of military funds for huge detention camps for undocumented immigrants, a Justice Department turned into a personal revenge force and ideological litmus tests for federal employees to ensure maximal sycophancy.

Have Haley and DeSantis grabbed hold of this potent ammunition to make a more forceful case for themselves? Hardly. They’re no more eager to take on Trump the budding fascist than they are to take on Trump the practiced fantasist, because they prioritize coddling his supporters and gaining power over standing up for the rule of law and the integrity of democracy. And DeSantis, in any case, is styling himself as the efficient version of Trump — more bang for your contemptuous buck.

It’s in that context that a focus on the prices of eggs and gas seems, well, like a luxury.

ENDS---

While I think it is very disappointing to listen to two people argue using focus group tested talking point after talking point, I did like that they were both coherent.

This is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris's America .... it's going just as planned.

Along with the usual white leftist progressives, the US has imported this hate and will have to deal with it for an infinite amount of time before it destroys the country. That it will attempt to do. They are not being required to assimilate and we are setting up services in multiple foreign languages that prove it. This is sponsored by the democrat party.

Subscriber-only Newsletter

Frank Bruni

Opinion

It’s Not the Economy. It’s the Fascism.​

Nov. 30, 2023

Credit...Ben Wiseman

By Frank Bruni
Mr. Bruni is a contributing Opinion writer who was on the staff of The Times for more than 25 years.

To spend more than a little time toggling between news sites of different bents is to notice a fierce debate over the American economy right now. Which matters more — the easing of inflation or the persistence of prices that many people can’t afford or accept? Low unemployment or high interest rates? Is the intensity of Americans’ bad feelings about the economy a sane response or a senseless funk estranged from their actual financial circumstances?On such questions may the 2024 election turn, so the litigation of them is no surprise. It’s not just the economy, stupid. It’s the public relations war over it.

But never in my adult lifetime has that battle seemed so agonizingly beside the point, such a distraction from the most important questions before us. In 2024, it’s not the economy. It’s the democracy. It’s the decency. It’s the truth.

I’m not talking about what will influence voters most. I’m talking about what should. And I write that knowing that I’ll be branded an elitist whose good fortune puts him out of touch with the concerns of people living paycheck to paycheck or priced out of housing and medical care. I am lucky — privileged, to use and own the word of the moment — and I’m an imperfect messenger, as blinded by the peculiarities of his experience in the world as others are by theirs.

But I don’t see any clear evidence that a change of presidents would equal an uptick in Americans’ living standards. And 2024, in any case, isn’t shaping up to be a normal election with normal stakes or anything close to that, at least not if Donald Trump winds up with the Republican presidential nomination — the likeliest outcome, to judge by current conditions. Not if he’s beaten by a Republican who had to buy into his fictions or emulate his ugliness to claim the prize. Not if the Republican Party remains hostage to the extremism on display in the House over these past few months.

That assessment isn’t Trump derangement syndrome. It’s straightforward observation, consistent with Liz Cheney’s new memoir, “Oath and Honor,” at which my Times colleague Peter Baker got an advance peek. Cheney describes House Republicans’ enduring surrender to Trump as cowardly and cynical, and she’s cleareyed on what his nomination in 2024 would mean. “We will be voting on whether to preserve our republic,” she writes. “As a nation, we can endure damaging policies for a four-year term. But we cannot survive a president willing to terminate our Constitution.”

Trump has been saying, doing and contemplating some especially terrifying things lately, and while many of them wash over a populace exhausted by and inured to his puerile rants, outlandish provocations and petty-dictator diatribes, they’re not just the same old same old.
They’re not just theater, either. Long gone are the days when Trump’s darkest comments and direst vows could be dismissed as perverse performance art — as huffing and puffing that wouldn’t and couldn’t amount to all that much. That soothing myth died once and for all during the final months of his presidency, when he layered the Big Lie atop the heaving mountain of little and medium-size ones and cheered on a mob making its way to the Capitol.

And the notion that he’d at some point be contained by fellow Republicans who would put up with only so much? What a quaint hope that was. Most of those Republicans cowered before him. Most still do. The two current runners-up for the Republican presidential nomination, Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis, raised their hands when they were asked, during a debate in August, about whether they’d support Trump as the party’s nominee even if he was convicted of felonies. That’s why the stakes of this election are titanic even without Trump on the ballot. The stain of him is deep and wide.

The fact of him is scarier and scarier. Last week he sent out his Thanksgiving message, a social media post whose eccentric punctuation and erratic capitalization were the typographical equivalent of spittle, at 2 a.m., and he didn’t use it to wish supporters and other Americans well. He roasted his perceived enemies, presenting a platter of slurs with all the semantic trimmings: “Radical Left Lunatics,” “Psycho,” “Marxists,” “Communists.”
Just two weeks earlier, for Veterans Day, he traded inspiration for fulmination in a speech in New Hampshire, promising to “root out the communists, Marxists, fascists and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country.” Like vermin! And the month before that, he said that undocumented immigrants were “poisoning the blood of our country.” Trump has been saying, doing and contemplating some especially terrifying things lately.

His bastard music is consequential because it’s paired with a “series of plans by Mr. Trump and his allies that would upend core elements of American governance, democracy, foreign policy and the rule of law if he regained the White House,” as Jonathan Swan, Maggie Haberman and Charlie Savage wrote in a recent Times article that all voters should read once, then read again, then commit to memory so they can refer to it constantly. Those plans include the use of military funds for huge detention camps for undocumented immigrants, a Justice Department turned into a personal revenge force and ideological litmus tests for federal employees to ensure maximal sycophancy.

Have Haley and DeSantis grabbed hold of this potent ammunition to make a more forceful case for themselves? Hardly. They’re no more eager to take on Trump the budding fascist than they are to take on Trump the practiced fantasist, because they prioritize coddling his supporters and gaining power over standing up for the rule of law and the integrity of democracy. And DeSantis, in any case, is styling himself as the efficient version of Trump — more bang for your contemptuous buck.

It’s in that context that a focus on the prices of eggs and gas seems, well, like a luxury.

ENDS---
Trump’s a lot of things but he’s not a fascist. That’s extremist rhetoric from the left. I’m not buying it and I hope the American people aren’t either

Waiting on Trump to get convicted is a pretty good strategy ‘cause it’s a pretty likely scenario. I’m not a fan of the whole thing but it’s a realistic view
That’s their whole plan. Get him convicted for at least one thing so they can say he’s not legally allowed to hold office. He terrifies the left/deep state.

That’s their whole plan. Get him convicted for at least one thing so they can say he’s not legally allowed to hold office. He terrifies the left/deep state.

He's a corrupt lawbreaker and vile human being. Your comment makes the below even more appropriate for MAGA--who are an embarrassment to the country.

Blaming Biden because boomers were born on 3rd base.....we're getting close to "Thanks Obama" level of petty
They’re blaming Biden for unaffordable housing but that boom started in 2020. They also claim Biden is responsible for higher groceries, cars etc…companies are making record profits..are conservatives no longer supportive of capitalism? How’s those tax cuts for the wealthy working out for ya but don’t worry I saw yesterday Trumps about to unveil a new healthcare plan, you know the one he bragged about in 2016?? Maybe he’ll bring back infrastructure week…it’s a greatest hits album that’s missing lock her up, I guess that one came with a little karma attached.

Reactions: turbovol
They’re blaming Biden for unaffordable housing but that boom started in 2020. They also claim Biden is responsible for higher groceries, cars etc…companies are making record profits..are conservatives no longer supportive of capitalism? How’s those tax cuts for the wealthy working out for ya but don’t worry I saw yesterday Trumps about to unveil a new healthcare plan, you know the one he bragged about in 2016?? Maybe he’ll bring back infrastructure week…it’s a greatest hits album that’s missing lock her up, I guess that one came with a little karma attached.

Quite well actually.

It's been since 1988 that we've had a president I was proud of.
Welcome back Hog!

And yes. This idea that we should elect someone we can be proud of is pretty ridiculous right now.

I don’t hate the idea, I’ve just yet to see many politicians running for President that I would say “Now there is a person I would follow. That’s someone I would tell my kids to look to as a great example of character”.

Unfortunately most of us will just have to choose a candidate that will fight for the policies we think are best for our family and this country.

Welcome back Hog!

And yes. This idea that we should elect someone we can be proud of is pretty ridiculous right now.

I don’t hate the idea, I’ve just yet to see many politicians running for President that I would say “Now there is a person I would follow. That’s someone I would tell my kids to look to as a great example of character”.

Unfortunately most of us will just have to choose a candidate that will fight for the policies we think are best for our family and this country.

Bush 1 was a man of character but not that great of a President but since his time there hasn't been a single candidate on either ticket that I would tell my kids they should admire.

VN Store

Back