2023 Target List

That’s why I’ve said repeatedly pump the brakes on the freak out, no schools hits on 100%, and we still have more priority targets remaining available then we do spots.
I'm not sure if you're referring to any one poster(s) with the freak out comment, but I'm far from freaking out. Just calling it like I see it in real time. I almost always give our staff the benefit of doubt, some more outspoken critics would say undeservedly so, at times. I'm not freaking out by any means, but I think there have been enough misses to make note of, to this point. We will probably recover and sign quality players but it's hard to ignore the ones we are missing on.

I'm not sure if you're referring to any one poster(s) with the freak out comment, but I'm far from freaking out. Just calling it like I see it in real time. I almost always give our staff the benefit of doubt, some more outspoken critics would say undeservedly so, at times. I'm not freaking out by any means, but I think there have been enough misses to make note of, to this point. We will probably recover and sign quality players but it's hard to ignore the ones we are missing on.
Not any one person specifically, just seems to be quite a few who are in freak out mode/on the brink of it…I’ve seen mention of firing assistants, no more excuses etc etc.

On the bolded…Is that not the name of the game for about 99% of programs though?

I think the hope for fall is to land Estrella, and land 2 of Demary/Dilione/Cosby to add to Phillips…gives you a 4 man fall signing class.

Back to my point, see y'all in the final four.

All jokes aside though. If we were to land Demary, Dilione, and Estrella to go with Phillips that would put us at 63.17 which was good for 14th last year and 12th the year before that.

That's insane to me, that seems like such a loaded class lol.

Last edited:
Not any one person specifically, just seems to be quite a few who are in freak out mode/on the brink of it…I’ve seen mention of firing assistants, no more excuses etc etc.

On the bolded…Is that not the name of the game for about 99% of programs though?
Not sure. I'm not following the recruiting patterns of many other schools. Michigan State seems to be hitting on a lot of their priority guys. UK, Duke, etc. Certainly, I'm not saying I expect those type results. And I admit that when a team like Tennessee fishes in those waters, your hits are fewer and far between. It just feels like your running list is shrinking and shrinking by the day. At what point is it considered safe and reasonable to voice concern?

I literally criticized the staff/Barnes in this very thread just a few posts ago…I’ve also said landing some top targets in the fall would be nice but also acknowledge and realize that fall isn’t over and we still have top targets remaining.

I don’t recall a Foster visit, and yes, getting an OV is typically a major part of someone being a realistic target, how many commitments do you see without an OV? GW3 has fallen down the rankings, and as I said Glenn was a guy they were interested in for 2022 as a reclass, boards change and recruiting is fluid as you know. Dilione wasn’t a top target 6 months ago, same for Demary, but both now are and are Top 50 targets that are higher ranked players than Holloway or GW3 etc.
Your running list from page 4 disagrees.

#8 Robert Dillingham
#10 Caleb Foster-UOV
#14 Mikey Williams
#15 Kwame Evans Jr.
#16 Bryson Warren
#17 Kanaan Carlyle
#20 GG Jackson
#21 Justin Edwards
#38 Layden Blocker
#44 London Johnson
#45 Cameron Barnes
#58 Amani Hansberry
#61 Isaiah West
#66 Kaleb Glenn-UOV
#81 Blue Cain-UOV
#83 George Washington lll-UOV
NR Wesley Tubbs

Back to my point, see y'all in the final four.

All jokes aside though. If we were to land Demary, Dilione, and Estrella to go with Phillips that would put us at 63.17 which was good for 14th last year and 12th the year before that.

That's insane to me, that seems like such a loaded class lol.
And that’s without any spring additions which we know there will be.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
It’s interesting because recruiting is a complex ecosystem— maybe even more complex than winning in March. We got Phillips after LSU caught on fire, and being the squares suddenly looked cool. We lost Edwards on a razors edge. KY/Cal are going all in on money/support and intensity, and they have the best brand in basketball. That said, we lost Edwards by a hair. If we get Estrella, it will be due to things falling our way at Duke first, and we’ll nose out Syracuse and Iowa, if Kansas and Self don’t swoop in at the end. All the work and preparation and relationships can get you left at the altar. Losing English hurts in a specific region, but hurts more in development. Losing Oliver is big in recruiting. Losing Schwartz hurts everywhere. The guy was an incredible contributor in recruiting, development and strategy. He was also the master of educating parents and kids on the meaning of Rick Barnes, his coaching, and his legacy. Phillips is a massive ad. He and Edwards are two of my favorite talents of the last two classes. We got one. Phillips has an offensive hunger and fire for aggressive offense that we desperately need on this team. He’s also a collaborative kid who is going to be a huge contributor if he’s used well. Losing Edwards is a big bummer. He was very much ours until he became job 1 for Cal. On the other side of the coin, we’re in it for Estrella at the finish line for the opposite reasons. Duke being out of his mind, opens up space for us. We are currently not as good as we were at recruiting prior to the shifts in staff. It’s hard to overstate the fact that Schwartz was the glue and the continuity in the transition. Him leaving pulls the rug out on many planning aspects of our program, and strips out institutional knowledge as well. I don’t think the matter is good/bad. It’s complicated. If anything we do all need to acknowledge that Barnes has been a great improvisational problem solver, and has been willing to adapt when the foundation shifts. I’m disappointed and hopeful. That’s as committed as I can be on the topic.

Not sure. I'm not following the recruiting patterns of many other schools. Michigan State seems to be hitting on a lot of their priority guys. UK, Duke, etc. Certainly, I'm not saying I expect those type results. And I admit that when a team like Tennessee fishes in those waters, your hits are fewer and far between. It just feels like your running list is shrinking and shrinking by the day. At what point is it considered safe and reasonable to voice concern?
Those 3 schools you mentioned have all missed on some top targets this year, none are batting 1.00, with that said yes we have missed on more than they probably have, but as you mentioned that’s going to come with those waters. I know you mentioned some names last night and maybe we will just not see eye to eye on that, but just because a guy gets offered doesn’t mean they are a legitimate target. Justin Edwards, without a doubt an absolute miss. Aden Holloway sure, however a debate probably could be had about he and Demary and how/when the staff viewed those 2. Coen Carr sure, Michigan State did a nice job there closing that one it would appear. Other than that I don’t see legitimate top targets misses to this point if you’re saying top targets are guys with mutual enough interest to OV.

Silas Demary, JP Estrella, Freddie Dilione, Coen Carr, Justin Edwards, Aden Holloway and Cade Phillips are by my count the 2023 guys who have taken OV’s to Tennessee. So 7 guys, we’ve landed 1, missed on 3, and there are 3 remaining. Davin Cosby Jr. has one scheduled, we will see if that takes place. Obviously we aren’t signing 7-8 in the fall, 3-4 seems like a plausible number, so if you land 3-4 from those 7 I think you are doing just fine. If we are sitting there in October with just Phillips and the rest of those guys committed elsewhere then I would definitely voice some concern.

FWIW, I signed up for the new On3 site in advance of their Tennessee Fan Site launch, and their current belief for a few players is:

- Dillone: Just wrapped up an Alabama visit. It helped the Tide, but they "still think Tennessee is in really good shape here."
- Demary: Isn't in a hurry to make a decision. Enjoying the process after his rankings bump and more exposure.

Also mentioned that Edwards has maybe made the biggest improvement during off-season workouts and that Phillips' work ethic has been a surprise in a good way.

Last edited:
FWIW, I signed up for the new On3 site in advance of their Tennessee Fan Site launch, and their current belief for a few players is:

- Dillone: Just wrapped up an Alabama visit. It helped the Tide, but they "still think Tennessee is in really good shape here."
- Demary: Isn't in a hurry to make a decision. Enjoying the process after his rankings bump and more exposure.

Also mentioned that Edwards has maybe made the biggest improvement during off-season workouts and that Phillips' work ethic has been a surprise in a good way.

With On3 do you have access to every teams board like 247 or is it like Rivals site?

It is a good site, and I look at it frequently, but always remember to be aware that there will be a TN bias that will be prevalent from which players they cover, which teams they list as on the list (TN will be there even to the surprise of the player occasionally based on Shannon's past influences). This site will be attractive if you want TN coverage that others will see and think of as national coverage, but is not good in that it can be misleading...or if you want to really know the unfiltered coverage in how we are doing from a recruiting standpoint in some cases.

Full transparency: I am not an investor in On3. I was considerably involved in two prior ventures that are now competitive with On3, but exited from both of those years ago. With that said, I know how it works, and it is NOT meant to be a true, unbiased picture of recruiting. It is a business. The goal is to create value and an eventual exit strategy. This means to attract traffic from fanbases that are most susceptible to driving direct revenue and additional traffic oriented revenue...and are the most susceptible in doing so in order to see their favorite program appear favorably even if it is not exactly accurate.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
It is a good site, and I look at it frequently, but always remember to be aware that there will be a TN bias that will be prevalent from which players they cover, which teams they list as on the list (TN will be there even to the surprise of the player occasionally based on Shannon's past influences). This site will be attractive if you want TN coverage that others will see and think of as national coverage, but is not good in that it can be misleading...or if you want to really know the unfiltered coverage in how we are doing from a recruiting standpoint in some cases.

Any recruiting service giving a fanbase insight into how the recruiting process for their university is going will have a slant. The important part is just understanding how to read between the lines. It doesn’t seem like a huge issue to me. It’s the only way to get the info.

I'm guessing the brief talk of Demary reclassifying is out the window now too?

I think Barnes and the staff are out-working most other staffs in the country. For various reasons they haven’t finished on some coveted recruits. Nevertheless Barnes always seems to adjust and keep the pantry stocked and keep hopes and expectations high.

I was at a Literacy Workshop for educators on July 26th in Corbin, KY. Just before lunch the moderator handed the mic over to the meal provider—a former KY school principal and current sales rep for Simple Solutions. Within seconds she abused her speaking opportunity, bitterly turning it into a celebratory refrain to vex the Tennessee attendees because Justin Edwards had picked KY over TN the night before. That proves how desperate their fan base is to gain some leverage over Tennessee after our recent ownership of the blue—despite KY’s ease to lure gifted players annually.

Unlike some, I still feel that we are one of the most secure and competitive programs in the country thanks to Barnes and his staff.
I have to ask…why in the world would anyone attend a Literacy Workshop in Corbin, KY??

Last edited:

VN Store

Back