2023 Target List

Foster UOV’d, same as Glenn and GW3. You‘re really using the fact that we failed to secure an OV with any of them as a defense? Sounds more like further damning evidence.

Only one of us lies in the middle ground of objectivity when it comes to judging this staff. I give credit where it’s due, and I question them when I feel it’s warranted. Suggesting that I’m being unfair to them by going out of my way to hold them to some unrealistic expectation doesn’t hold water.

Barnes deserves credit for signing 5 stars in the spring just like the fall. Not fair to CRB and staff to call it recruiting misses in the fall and luck in the spring, imo.

Reactions: therickbol
Barnes deserves credit for signing 5 stars in the spring just like the fall. Not fair to CRB and staff to call it recruiting misses in the fall and luck in the spring, imo.
I'm not calling it "luck" in the spring. I'm acknowledging that we lost Phillips to LSU in the fall, and were very fortunate that he came available in the spring to even have a shot at redemption. Hard not to acknowledge that that is a fortuitous turn of events that isn't afforded every spring for top-20 prospects that we had prior relationships with. Kudos to the staff for locking it up when opportunity presented itself. I've given them credit for that. Never once just chalked it up solely to luck.

Reactions: berryvol
English left less than a year and a half ago.
And still two full offseasons (spring/summer 2021 and spring/summer 2022) have come and gone. I'm not talking two full calendar years, but two opportunities to scout and develop relationships over AAU and EYBL seasons. Not to mention the relationships they already had prior to coming to Tennessee.

Reactions: berryvol
And still two full offseasons (spring/summer 2021 and spring/summer 2022) have come and gone. I'm not talking two full calendar years, but two opportunities to scout and develop relationships over AAU and EYBL seasons. Not to mention the relationships they already had prior to coming to Tennessee.

Marquette and Austin Peay aren’t recruiting the same guys as TN.

Marquette and Austin Peay aren’t recruiting the same guys as TN.
Jonas Aidoo literally committed to Marquette over Tennessee, originally, and then decommitted from Marquette and committed to Tennessee, so maybe they do overlap a little more than you're leading on.

Also, relationships aren't solely restricted to the level of school where a coach is currently employed. Clark had a relationship with Cason Wallace that went back to when he was in middle school. Austin Peay was never going to land him, no, but it didn't lessen the relationship they previously had.

I’m not panicking, as there’s a long way to go. But I certainly do understand going to play for Izzo. It would be hard for me to turn down if I was an elite recruit.

I think Barnes and the staff are out-working most other staffs in the country. For various reasons they haven’t finished on some coveted recruits. Nevertheless Barnes always seems to adjust and keep the pantry stocked and keep hopes and expectations high.

I was at a Literacy Workshop for educators on July 26th in Corbin, KY. Just before lunch the moderator handed the mic over to the meal provider—a former KY school principal and current sales rep for Simple Solutions. Within seconds she abused her speaking opportunity, bitterly turning it into a celebratory refrain to vex the Tennessee attendees because Justin Edwards had picked KY over TN the night before. That proves how desperate their fan base is to gain some leverage over Tennessee after our recent ownership of the blue—despite KY’s ease to lure gifted players annually.

Unlike some, I still feel that we are one of the most secure and competitive programs in the country thanks to Barnes and his staff.

I don’t think overall talent has been an issue. However, you can’t tell me having a Dillon Mitchell, Cason Wallace, Brandon Miller, Yohan Traore, or a Jaden Bradley wouldn’t have greatly raised the ceiling of this years team.
Depending on who you’re adding in that group you likely don’t get Phillips, so…

Foster UOV’d, same as Glenn and GW3. You‘re really using the fact that we failed to secure an OV with any of them as a defense? Sounds more like further damning evidence.

Only one of us lies in the middle ground of objectivity when it comes to judging this staff. I give credit where it’s due, and I question them when I feel it’s warranted. Suggesting that I’m being unfair to them by going out of my way to hold them to some unrealistic expectation doesn’t hold water.
I literally criticized the staff/Barnes in this very thread just a few posts ago…I’ve also said landing some top targets in the fall would be nice but also acknowledge and realize that fall isn’t over and we still have top targets remaining.

I don’t recall a Foster visit, and yes, getting an OV is typically a major part of someone being a realistic target, how many commitments do you see without an OV? GW3 has fallen down the rankings, and as I said Glenn was a guy they were interested in for 2022 as a reclass, boards change and recruiting is fluid as you know. Dilione wasn’t a top target 6 months ago, same for Demary, but both now are and are Top 50 targets that are higher ranked players than Holloway or GW3 etc.

English landed Chandler who was always likely to be at Tennessee, English is overrated as a recruiter by Tennessee fans….Schwartz and Oliver are underrated.
I completely agree about Oliver. Schwartz was the Diamond in the rough kind of guy. Oliver has been the best recruiter under Barnes at Tennessee.

I have hardly any connections but have heard Estrella is leaning Tennessee. I am no insider but just talking to guys around the AAU world that seems to be the thought. TIFWIW.
That would certainly help ease the minds of some fans…if you miss on Estrella even if you lane 2 of Dilione, Demary and Cosby there will be a lot of talk about the misses in the class. If you land Estrella along with 2 of those guys there won’t be much at all to complain about and the hit rate among top targets will have been pretty high actually.

Jonas Aidoo literally committed to Marquette over Tennessee, originally, and then decommitted from Marquette and committed to Tennessee, so maybe they do overlap a little more than you're leading on.

Also, relationships aren't solely restricted to the level of school where a coach is currently employed. Clark had a relationship with Cason Wallace that went back to when he was in middle school. Austin Peay was never going to land him, no, but it didn't lessen the relationship they previously had.

Obviously there is going to be overlap. TN had offered Aidoo 5 months before Wojc was fired and Gainey was picked up. Aidoo was also from NC and Barnes has hit on many NC recruits.

Schwartz and Oliver were on the TN staff together for several years before the 5-stars started signing. I wouldn’t discount the staff longevity in the recruiting process. None of TN’s 3 current assistants held those positions during the 2020-21 season.

TN’s staff under Barnes took several years of stability before the recruiting reached a new level. I’d give it another year or two before expecting multiple 5-stars in the signing classes.

I'm gonna laugh if there's all this arguing on both sides and then everyone celebrates together if UT lands Estrella, Demary, and one other lol

I'm gonna laugh if there's all this arguing on both sides and then everyone celebrates together if UT lands Estrella, Demary, and one other lol
That’s why I’ve said repeatedly pump the brakes on the freak out, no schools hits on 100%, and we still have more priority targets remaining available then we do spots.

Reactions: Putbacks
Removed Braelon Green, that’s been a weird one…he released a Top 5 which included Tennessee even though they hadn’t offered, and he said he was gonna OV. Michigan State was thought to be the heavy favorite but they’ve quit recruiting him and now he’s scheduling OV’s to schools that weren’t in his Top 5.

Updated target list, using On3 ranking…**On3 composite ranking because they have no On3 ranking**

#16 JP Estrella-OV taken & UOV
#23 Elmarko Jackson
#38 Bronny James
#47 Coen Carr-OV taken
#50 Freddie Dilione-OV taken
#61 Silas Demary Jr.-OV taken & UOV

#66 Cody Williams
#91 Davin Cosby Jr.-OV scheduled
#147 Keanu Dawes
**#106** CADE PHILLIPS-COMMITTED TO UT
**#122**Cameron Barnes
NR Jared Hall-UOV