2023 Target List

Added Bronny James back, according to VQ he is a legitimate target, I’ll hold off on bold lettering until I hear an OV is schedule though.

Updated target list, using On3 ranking…**On3 composite ranking because they have no On3 ranking**

#16 JP Estrella-OV taken & UOV
#23 Elmarko Jackson
#38 Bronny James
#47 Coen Carr-OV taken
#50 Freddie Dilione-OV taken
#61 Silas Demary Jr.-OV taken & UOV

#66 Cody Williams
#87 Amani Hansberry
#91 Davin Cosby Jr.-OV scheduled
#117 Braelon Green-OV scheduled

#132 Michael Nwoko
#147 Keanu Dawes
**#106** CADE PHILLIPS-COMMITTED TO UT
**#122**Cameron Barnes
NR Jared Hall-UOV
Amani Hansberry just released his final 5 schools and we aren’t in it so you can take him off the list

On a high school debate team or in a courtroom, you’d be compelling, but frequently admonished for diversion and ad hominem attack. In order to accept your assumptions one has to buy the inputs that are themselves full of assumptions. Kansas told him they’re coming to his game to see him. That’s what I heard. Full stop. They perceive interest, and according to friends who are elite HS coaches, he’s interested. Whether there are other targets there is irrelevant to what I said. I weigh my friend’s credibility and opinion on the matter highly. As far as Estrella’s family “making it known” that “they better be your priority”, there’s a range of subjectivity and meaning there that can’t be discerned from anything they’ve said to date. If Self enters a recruiting battle, he generally does pretty well. I’m sure their strategy and communications are well thought out, even if you’re betting against their success. I genuinely hope he doesn’t visit them.
Your info/sources seem to be more CBB/Kansas sides while mine are Tennessee/Estrella family sides, maybe that’s where some of these differences come in. I to have said I would rather he doesn’t visit Kansas, but that if their pitch to him is what you’ve said then I struggle to see him going there regardless, but admitted that could be wrong as it’s just my opinion knowing how the family has handled his recruitment. Kansas telling Estrella they are coming to see him in Chicago just doesn’t move the needle much for me as they almost certainly told a handful of kids the same thing. The family isn’t dumb and knows how you are recruited if you are a priority for someone, yes you’d be in Chicago but you’d also have had Self at UAA games as well. Now, maybe that ultimately doesn’t matter and the Estrella’s look past it, again I’m basing my opinion on how they’ve handled things to this point.

Updated target list, using On3 ranking…**On3 composite ranking because they have no On3 ranking**

#16 JP Estrella-OV taken & UOV
#23 Elmarko Jackson
#38 Bronny James
#47 Coen Carr-OV taken
#50 Freddie Dilione-OV taken
#61 Silas Demary Jr.-OV taken & UOV

#66 Cody Williams
#91 Davin Cosby Jr.-OV scheduled
#117 Braelon Green-OV scheduled

#132 Michael Nwoko
#147 Keanu Dawes
**#106** CADE PHILLIPS-COMMITTED TO UT
**#122**Cameron Barnes
NR Jared Hall-UOV

Something else worth mentioning with Estrella is that if I understand correctly Syracuse and Kansas visits would be senior year OV’s, Tennessee got an UOV from him, a junior year OV, and left themselves a senior year OV depending on how long his recruitment went. I’m not saying that means anything but I think Tennessee was more than glad to have him OV in June and not worried about losing the memory as 1. It was his 2nd visit to Knoxville and 2. They could bring him back on another OV in theory in just a couple months.
If he made a return visit to Knoxville, my confidence would soar.

If he made a return visit to Knoxville, my confidence would soar.
Absolutely, although my guess is if Tennessee is the choice that won’t happen and he’ll OV in the fall for a football game. My main point was that I think Tennessee probably pushed for the timing of that visit and 1 month difference from Tennessee visit to Iowa visit isn’t likely to mean much either way.

Estrella doesn't sting like Edwards and Hollaway for me. Don't recall us ever being the "leader" for Estrella or right near the top for him like we were those other two

Also, please ignore that troll lol

Reactions: Ryno14
Tired of the “overrated” chants. Kid is a Jrue Holiday esque baller. He tore the Peach Jam up.
People scoff at him being a top 100 player and I don’t get it. He’s really good, he’s just not his dad and people use that against him for some reason. If he didn’t have the James last name, people would be stoked to get a super athletic 6’3 guard who passes like he does.

This isn’t to say Estrella isn’t going to Iowa, just worth mentioning imo…Eickholt has numerous picks where he chose Iowa and then changed his pick to foggy which doesn’t count as a miss when the player goes elsewhere. Again, that’s not to say he’s wrong here, just that it’s worth mentioning imo. Iowa brought in Luka Garza for his visit and they conveniently ran into each other, I’m sure leaving Iowa he definitely was/is feeling them. He still has Syracuse to go, assuming that takes place, so we’ll see.

After back to back top 6 classes (247 team rankings) we had 19th last year. May be lucky to get to that this year. Clark and Gainey are not locking up guys like Oliver and English were.
Number of players is a huge component in that ranking, our average per player was very similar all 3 years, we just signed a smaller class which hurts your ranking.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
People scoff at him being a top 100 player and I don’t get it. He’s really good, he’s just not his dad and people use that against him for some reason. If he didn’t have the James last name, people would be stoked to get a super athletic 6’3 guard who passes like he does.
I chalk a lot of it up to most of the critics being Lebron haters.

While it's a sour taste to lose out on some of these highly rated guys, it's not necessarily a bad thing. The majority of those guys rated in the top 20 are headed to the NBA after 1 year, and that leaves you with a void once again. I think Tennessee is at it's best under Barnes when we get guys that are top 100 prospects that stay for a few seasons

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
While it's a sour taste to lose out on some of these highly rated guys, it's not necessarily a bad thing. The majority of those guys rated in the top 20 are headed to the NBA after 1 year, and that leaves you with a void once again. I think Tennessee is at it's best under Barnes when we get guys that are top 100 prospects that stay for a few seasons
Mashack was ranked about 50 IIRC. I fully expect him to hit the portal after this season as it starting to appear Key will get the majority of the sub minutes Mashack is wanting. Sounds like Jefferson who was ranked around 60 IIRC may be a bit behind the learning curve so will he stick around and wait for playing time? I don’t know that I have adjusted my perspective on building a roster to meet the new portal reality. Are we going to have to accept having 6-8 new players every season?

Mashack was ranked about 50 IIRC. I fully expect him to hit the portal after this season as it starting to appear Key will get the majority of the sub minutes Mashack is wanting. Sounds like Jefferson who was ranked around 60 IIRC may be a bit behind the learning curve so will he stick around and wait for playing time? I don’t know that I have adjusted my perspective on building a roster to meet the new portal reality. Are we going to have to accept having 6-8 new players every season?
Sure looks that way. It’s easier for players to leave now, so no reason to believe those at the end of the bench won’t seek greener pastures. Not to mention the NIL enticements to draw players from one school to another.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back