2023 Target List

Estrella playing in Elite 24. Kansas will determine whether to offer there. He plans to announce within a week or two after unless he schedules Kansas visit. Will be interesting to see him head to head vs Booker/Edwards.

So he's probably committing before the end of the month. Do you think that bodes well for Tennessee?

So he's probably committing before the end of the month. Do you think that bodes well for Tennessee?
I don’t think it bodes anything, he will have visited Iowa & Syracuse recently so not as if he cancelled other visits. Tennessee is 100% in it, but not sure any team feels confident that they lead, he has loved his visits to all 3 of those schools and feels he would fit at any of them. Syracuse is closest to home, he loves how Iowa used Garza, and Tennessee he feels really close with and loves the family atmosphere.

I don’t think it bodes anything, he will have visited Iowa & Syracuse recently so not as if he cancelled other visits. Tennessee is 100% in it, but not sure any team feels confident that they lead, he has loved his visits to all 3 of those schools and feels he would fit at any of them. Syracuse is closest to home, he loves how Iowa used Garza, and Tennessee he feels really close with and loves the family atmosphere.
I hear what you're saying, but Tennessee feels far removed from any recent activity/buzz surrounding his recruitment. Him choosing Tennessee would be one of the quietest commitments relative to ranking in quite some time. I get that part of that is due to recent visits to Iowa and Syracuse, but the lack of any positive buzz makes me think we are 3rd in this race. Syracuse has distance on their side. Iowa is a more recent memory in his mind. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on this one.

Things seem quite on the Bobby Maze front. I know we were never really in it for Blue Cain but haven't heard about any other recruits in the pipeline. Are there some to watch for next year or two? Is there a real rift with Maze?

I hear what you're saying, but Tennessee feels far removed from any recent activity/buzz surrounding his recruitment. Him choosing Tennessee would be one of the quietest commitments relative to ranking in quite some time. I get that part of that is due to recent visits to Iowa and Syracuse, but the lack of any positive buzz makes me think we are 3rd in this race. Syracuse has distance on their side. Iowa is a more recent memory in his mind. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on this one.
It would be “quiet” for any of those schools at this juncture though, yes they got visits but it’s not as if there’s talk of momentum for those schools or being favorites etc. Tennessee continues to be mentioned by him in every recent article, unlike Marquette who he OV’d and seems to have eliminated. Again, doesn’t mean we get him or are the favorites, but as of today I think we have just as good a shot as Iowa or Syracuse.

Not currently commit-able and no visit scheduled. Apparently they’re deciding post Elite 24.

Must be nice to be able to slow play Top 25 kids and know no matter when you start paying attention they’ll come crawling to you. Nothing new though. Just what happens when you swim in the waters with blue bloods for recruits.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Things seem quite on the Bobby Maze front. I know we were never really in it for Blue Cain but haven't heard about any other recruits in the pipeline. Are there some to watch for next year or two? Is there a real rift with Maze?
Nothing other than Blue in 2023 which wasn’t a Maze thing, just was never gonna be Tennessee…2024 has a player or two but doubt they end up at Tennessee, we’ll see…there’s definitely been a bit of a souring in that “relationship”.

Not currently commit-able and no visit scheduled. Apparently they’re deciding post Elite 24.
If that’s true then it’s hard to see Estrella/his family being very interested in Kansas…they’ve been huge on being a priority for the school which led to the Duke outfall, don’t see them taking a non-commitable offer and broadcasting it just to be slow played for months.

Added Bronny James back, according to VQ he is a legitimate target, I’ll hold off on bold lettering until I hear an OV is schedule though.

Updated target list, using On3 ranking…**On3 composite ranking because they have no On3 ranking**

#16 JP Estrella-OV taken & UOV
#23 Elmarko Jackson
#38 Bronny James
#47 Coen Carr-OV taken
#50 Freddie Dilione-OV taken
#61 Silas Demary Jr.-OV taken & UOV

#66 Cody Williams
#87 Amani Hansberry
#91 Davin Cosby Jr.-OV scheduled
#117 Braelon Green-OV scheduled

#132 Michael Nwoko
#147 Keanu Dawes
**#106** CADE PHILLIPS-COMMITTED TO UT
**#122**Cameron Barnes
NR Jared Hall-UOV
In the words of the great Adam Sandler, kill me now god.

Reactions: walkenvol
If that’s true then it’s hard to see Estrella/his family being very interested in Kansas…they’ve been huge on being a priority for the school which led to the Duke outfall, don’t see them taking a non-commitable offer and broadcasting it just to be slow played for months.
I’m conveying what I hear from friends in HS elite basketball and friends close to our staff. I heard that Duke backed away from JP, due to other targets and returning front court this year and next. You heard that he dumped them due to their focus on Power. It could be either, neither or both. I can’t comment on how he prioritizes Kansas. Self, like Cal has been able to home in on a target and succeed, sometimes regardless of timing. They’re sending folks to Chicago. That implies they think it’s worth doing so. Beyond that, I don’t have a read on how he sees them. I agree with all your points on other teams including us. Regardless of what he thinks, I’d prefer that he doesn’t visit Kansas.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I’m conveying what I hear from friends in HS elite basketball and friends close to our staff. I heard that Duke backed away from JP, due to other targets and returning front court this year and next. You heard that he dumped them due to their focus on Power. It could be either, neither or both. I can’t comment on how he prioritizes Kansas. Self, like Cal has been able to home in on a target and succeed, sometimes regardless of timing. They’re sending folks to Chicago. That implies they think it’s worth doing so. Beyond that, I don’t have a read on how he sees them. I agree with all your points on other teams including us. Regardless of what he thinks, I’d prefer that he doesn’t visit Kansas.
I agree about Kansas/Kentucky etc being able to come in late on kids, but Estrella seems a bit different and his family too that they’ve constantly mentioned being a priority as a major factor/draw and that they take notice of it. You look at his 4 OV’s, all among the schools that were the first to offer him…he cancelled Duke OV as soon as Power was offered and scheduled a visit to Duke, maybe he views Kansas different but if they have indeed slow played him the last few months I wouldn’t think they become a factor, maybe they were a dream school for him, idk.

There’s more than just Estrella in Chicago though, so that’s a bit deceiving to make it sound as if he would be the only draw/reason for Kansas to make that trip. But yes I agree with you, would rather he not visit Kansas, however if he does visit Kansas at the very least tells me he’s undecided.

Last edited:
It would be “quiet” for any of those schools at this juncture though, yes they got visits but it’s not as if there’s talk of momentum for those schools or being favorites etc. Tennessee continues to be mentioned by him in every recent article, unlike Marquette who he OV’d and seems to have eliminated. Again, doesn’t mean we get him or are the favorites, but as of today I think we have just as good a shot as Iowa or Syracuse.
Well, if he commits almost immediately after visiting Iowa and Syracuse, I’d probably feel better if I were one of those schools, and it would be less surprising for one of them to be the choice, IMO. The latest Tennessee visit would be a couple months old at that point, and it’s not like we were clearly leading heading into those visits. I guess I just think the further removed from his Tennessee visit he gets, the less likely it is that he comes here. It is nice to have him still mentioning us, though. That gives me some hope.

I can’t find his name anywhere connected to Tennessee, so I guess not. Could’ve sworn we did. Maybe we’ll be interested this go around lol

Well, if he commits almost immediately after visiting Iowa and Syracuse, I’d probably feel better if I were one of those schools, and it would be less surprising for one of them to be the choice, IMO. The latest Tennessee visit would be a couple months old at that point, and it’s not like we were clearly leading heading into those visits. I guess I just think the further removed from his Tennessee visit he gets, the less likely it is that he comes here. It is nice to have him still mentioning us, though. That gives me some hope.
If it was immediate then sure, but that’s likely at least a month plus removed from those visits and still contemplating another visit would tell me he doesn’t have his mind made up about either of those schools, or Tennessee either for that matter. Can just as easily say he UOV’d here and OV’d as well, only saw Iowa twice…again I’m not saying as of today we get him or lead or whatever, I just don’t think Syracuse or Iowa is ahead either at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree about Kansas/Kentucky etc being able to come in late on kids, but Estrella seems a bit different and his family too that they’ve constantly mentioned being a priority as a major factor/draw and that they take notice of it. You look at his 4 OV’s, all among the schools that were the first to offer him…he cancelled Duke OV as soon as Power was offered and scheduled a visit to Duke, maybe he views Kansas different but if they have indeed slow played him the last few months I wouldn’t think they become a factor, maybe they were a dream school for him, idk.

There’s more than just Estrella in Chicago though, so that’s a bit deceiving to make it sound as if he would be the only draw/reason for Kansas to make that trip.
I don’t think you mean I’m being deceiving. I also didn’t say that seeing Estrella is the only reason they’d go. My friend who is a coach who’ll be there said they told JP they’ll be at his games, and he said they’ll decide if they want him to visit this weekend.

I don’t think you mean I’m being deceiving. I also didn’t say that seeing Estrella is the only reason they’d go. My friend who is a coach who’ll be there said they told JP they’ll be at his games, and he said they’ll decide if they want him to visit this weekend.
Gotcha, “They’re sending folks to Chicago. That implies they think it’s worth doing so.” made it sound like he was why they were going to Chicago, not that he was just 1 of a handful of kids there that they would be going to watch. Maybe I’ll be surprised/wrong, but if that’s Kansas’ pitch I don’t see them being a factor considering how well the Estrella family has made it known they better be your priority. Being unsure about their kid and tossing around uncommitable offers while slow playing JP definitely doesn’t sound like something that would sit well with them, again maybe I’m wrong.

Something else worth mentioning with Estrella is that if I understand correctly Syracuse and Kansas visits would be senior year OV’s, Tennessee got an UOV from him, a junior year OV, and left themselves a senior year OV depending on how long his recruitment went. I’m not saying that means anything but I think Tennessee was more than glad to have him OV in June and not worried about losing the memory as 1. It was his 2nd visit to Knoxville and 2. They could bring him back on another OV in theory in just a couple months.

Gotcha, “They’re sending folks to Chicago. That implies they think it’s worth doing so.” made it sound like he was why they were going to Chicago, not that he was just 1 of a handful of kids there that they would be going to watch. Maybe I’ll be surprised/wrong, but if that’s Kansas’ pitch I don’t see them being a factor considering how well the Estrella family has made it known they better be your priority. Being unsure about their kid and tossing around uncommitable offers while slow playing JP definitely doesn’t sound like something that would sit well with them, again maybe I’m wrong.
On a high school debate team or in a courtroom, you’d be compelling, but frequently admonished for diversion and ad hominem attack. In order to accept your assumptions one has to buy the inputs that are themselves full of assumptions. Kansas told him they’re coming to his game to see him. That’s what I heard. Full stop. They perceive interest, and according to friends who are elite HS coaches, he’s interested. Whether there are other targets there is irrelevant to what I said. I weigh my friend’s credibility and opinion on the matter highly. As far as Estrella’s family “making it known” that “they better be your priority”, there’s a range of subjectivity and meaning there that can’t be discerned from anything they’ve said to date. If Self enters a recruiting battle, he generally does pretty well. I’m sure their strategy and communications are well thought out, even if you’re betting against their success. I genuinely hope he doesn’t visit them.

On3 updated today…**On3 composite ranking because they have no On3 ranking**

#16 JP Estrella-OV taken & UOV
#23 Elmarko Jackson
#47 Coen Carr-OV taken
#50 Freddie Dilione-OV taken
#61 Silas Demary Jr.-OV taken & UOV

#66 Cody Williams
#69 Gehrig Normand-OV scheduled
#87 Amani Hansberry
#91 Davin Cosby Jr.-OV scheduled
#117 Braelon Green-OV scheduled

#132 Michael Nwoko